Tubal ligation pros and cons

krissie328

Reaction score
We are definitely done after this baby so we have been looking at permanent contraception. Right now it's coming down to a tubal ligation is fully paid by insurance whereas a vasectomy is not.

(For ladies in the US how much did a vasectomy cost?)

Anyways, so after I have this baby they can tie my tubes pretty easily I guess. So I was just wondering what you found to be the pros and cons?

Also, what about a vasectomy vs tubal ligation?

I want to make the most informed choice but I also know I need a plan moving forward. We are definitely done so want to get on it if dh is going to get a vasectomy so we don't have to use back up birth control very long after baby is born.

From what I read beforehand, some surgeons use methods that can cut off a lot of a blood supply to the ovaries, resulting in hormonal issues.

I had mime tied via c-section, on the public health system in New Zealand. I didn't see my surgeon until the day of surgery, but got to talk to him about my worries. He promised to preserve as much of the blood supply as possible, and he took his time.

It hasn't been long for me yet, and I've only had two periods (I'm on day 4 of my second PP now), but I don't seem to have any issues at all. Periods are as per usual, no pain, I don't get bad PMS, they aren't heavier or lighter or last shorter or longer!

Vasectomy wasn't on the cards for us as we don't have health insurance, and I don't think my OH would have done it anyway. He's a wimp when it comes to surgical stuff. I was nervous, but happy enough to get it done.

My MIL had hers tied in 1982 after having my OH and seemed to be fine, so she says.

I think if a vasectomy was fairly cheap I would still advise someone to take that route though, because it is a lot less invasive and there are things that can and do go wrong wirtb a tubal. Hormonal stuff, and pregnancies outside of the uterus.

We knew we were done and I was having a c section so I just had them do it while they were in there. I was worried of side effects since i read a lot about them, but I haven't had any. im surprised that the insurance would pay for one and not the other. Especiallh since a vasectomy is an in/out procedure done in a doctors office.

I got approved for my tubes to be tied and they went through all the serious stuff trying to put me off ... what they didn't tell me when I pushed for it is the smaller side effects are those similar to any hormonal contraception which I am a nightmare for even the copper coil sends my body crazy and for those reasons I decided to reject the procedure I'd fought to get the consultant to agree on.

Now waiting for him to get a V.

x

I am in the same position and asked about it, my OB said she'd do it no problem but warned me outside of hormone side effects it can also cause quite the bloody long drawn out form of aunt flow. She did recommend looking into an IUD I ve yet to decide on which way to go it's definitely a hard decision

The thought of not being able to reverse the tubes being tied really put me off - The more serious 'risks' didn't. Even with the copper coil my swings are high my moods change and my AF is a beeping nightmare, I thought I'd be ok because it's not hormonal but definitely read up on it.

I can't wait to get it out and the best option is for him to take the chop (ha)!

I'm very fortunate I live in NZ where health care for the most part is free - including sterilization. I can't do it before 35 though and I have to undergo counseling and be of sound mind before I can even be considered which I think is unfair. I'm in 2 minds about tying my tubes. I want to as I fell pregnant with all my son's on BC and I don't want to chance a 5th pregnancy but I've also given my cousin the option of me being happy to do a surrogate pregnancy or 2 for her as she may never carry her own children due to health issues of her own. I know having my tubes tied doesn't prevent that but IF it turns out her eggs are not viable then I am willing to donate mine. Problem is, I've heard that egg harvesting can be rather painful and it also adds to the IVF costs - assuming she doesn't qualify for 8? free rounds. Should I NEED to donate my eggs, then not only would I want to help eliminate this cost for her, but it would be a lot easier to conceive by IVF techs using my own natural body clock to achieve this. I want to tie my tubes more than anything and she's said that I have to do what is right which is why I am so torn. We are done personally and don't want anymore children. But I also want to give her that gift and for it to be as non-complicated as possible. The legal adoption fees and travel costs on top of IVF for her alone are going to be thousands. Maternity and delivery is free as long as I use public services. The other loophole in NZ surrogacy law is that I can not do it with a financial gain - therefore I am legally offering my uterus free of charge. I wouldn't do it for financial gain anyhow but it can make the whole process a lot more complicated. Private healthcare though, should she want to go that route instead of public, then she would be liable for all costs incurred. I also know NOT tying runs a risk of an unwanted pregnancy but then I suppose that asking her if she would like to adopt my baby would be a possibility as well. I guess time will tell what happens for all of us as a family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->