tube feeding

vixxen

Mom of 4
Reaction score
Is it really hard to learn how to tube feed?

To learn to tube feed as in gavage tubes in the NICU? As far as I know there isn't much to learn with gavage feeding. The main concern is NEC, so the feedings usually start as a few drops in the mouth, then 1-2 ccs in the gavage, and a very gradual increase over the course of weeks up to full feeding amounts.

Giving the tube feeds themselves is quite easy once you get the hang of testing the pH, its trouble shooting (e.g what to do if you dont get an acid aspirate)and learning how to pass the ng tubes that the tricky part - but the nurses are really supportive and you can choose not to pass the tubes if you feel unable.

Giving the tube feeds themselves is quite easy once you get the hang of testing the pH, its trouble shooting (e.g what to do if you dont get an acid aspirate)and learning how to pass the ng tubes that the tricky part - but the nurses are really supportive and you can choose not to pass the tubes if you feel unable.

Yep - I can honestly say that that part was absolutely the worst worst worst worst worst bit of the whole preemie experience (a couple of those worsts are directly attributable to one transitional support worker who told me literally to sod off and deal with it when I was struggling to get an aspirate off and buzzed for help). If the backup had been there it wouldn't have been a problem - but I spent the entire time terrified I wasn't going to get a decent test on it every single time, fretting about which staff members would be on shift one day and if they'd be helpful ones or not and similar.

It's worse if you've got a compulsive nose tube yanker!

Yep - I can honestly say that that part was absolutely the worst worst worst worst worst bit of the whole preemie experience (a couple of those worsts are directly attributable to one transitional support worker who told me literally to sod off and deal with it when I was struggling to get an aspirate off and buzzed for help). If the backup had been there it wouldn't have been a problem - but I spent the entire time terrified I wasn't going to get a decent test on it every single time, fretting about which staff members would be on shift one day and if they'd be helpful ones or not and similar.

It's worse if you've got a compulsive nose tube yanker!

You're right! I once had to replace his tube 3 times in one day - not pleasant...had to resort to taping socks on to his hands. Once the tube came out it was such a novelty seeing his little hands!

You all had to put ng tubes in for yourselves? The nurses didn't do it for you? At our NICU, the nurses do everything that has to do with the tube. The only involvement I have in my daughter's feeding is 'recreational breastfeeding.'

You all had to put ng tubes in for yourselves? The nurses didn't do it for you? At our NICU, the nurses do everything that has to do with the tube. The only involvement I have in my daughter's feeding is 'recreational breastfeeding.'

We had a choice -I decided to learn how to do it as it was a way of getting him home earlier. We brought him home tube fed at 36 weeks - would have been in a lot longer otherwise I think as we made much better headway with his feeding once we were home. I totally understand why a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable with this though x

Didn't have to put tubes IN (thank God) - they wouldn't allow her home at ALL with a tube point blank... had to do all tube feeds and all checking the position of the tube (despite me repeatedly saying I was uncomfortable and not at all confident doing the aspiration and pH checking bit - was fine with putting the actual feeds through - just had endless struggles getting aspirated stomach contents).

Poor Erin - at one point she had scratch mitts micropore taped over her hands to keep them on and stop the tube yoinking (used the micropore around the cuff to make it smaller), goggles on for the billi lights with a hat wedged over the top to stop her pulling THOSE off... we spoilt all her fun!

Tube feeding isn't hard but it can take a while for you to get your confidence up. My daughter was fed by NG tube for 15 months and is now fed by gastrostomy tube (feeding tube surgically placed in her abdomen) - she's now 3.

We (my husband and I) learned how to pass NG tubes and we also change our duaghters gastrostomy. We found it easier than having to rely on nurses - plus when she had an NG she had severe reflux and used to vomit the tube out of her mouth loads to had to repass it loads - would have been a nightmare calling the nurse out every time! (When she had gastrostomy placed she also had a procedure done to stop her being sick).

Troubleshooting can be the most difficult part - especially if you don't get an aspirate but once you get the hang of it it's fine.

I never done a tube myself but we were almost about to go home tube feeding. I refused and we agreed to give it another week and indeed that single week paid off, we went home on bottles.

I know when my mum had me in 1986(I was 29 weeks) she had to do a great deal for me, rather than the nurses.

Thanks for all your replies havent been on to check sorry the nicu has kept be busy.
Unfortunately i am not being taught how to do the tube feeding as my daughters surgery will be brought forward as she is now struggling to breath while she is being fed:-(

Thanks for all your replies havent been on to check sorry the nicu has kept be busy.
Unfortunately i am not being taught how to do the tube feeding as my daughters surgery will be brought forward as she is now struggling to breath while she is being fed:-(

Really hope everything goes well with the surgery& helps her breathing x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->