Tuition Fee Increases - Discuss!

Sorry if i duplicate other thoughts but i don't have time to read all other comments;

I think its 100% right!! WHY should I pay for other peoples education! I didn't go to uni and i have very good paid job by starting from the bottom and making my way up.

I know a few people who went to uni and after finishing their degree's, changing their minds. Why should i pay some towards of waste of education?

If the cost of the education has gone up like i have to pay for the cost in petrol going up and council tax ect then so should they pay for their education!

I annoys me that there are people who sit on their bums and can get their uni fees waved as the goverment is trying to get them into work but thats life. You need to pay in america and most other places so why not here??

Because the social and power structure in countries where higher education is not free and accessible to all regardless of wealth end up being unfair and not representative of all people from all backgrounds. The rich will have access to power and opportunities and an elite will be deeper ingrained in our society.

Besides, don't be expecting your taxes to be going down any time soon or even ever as a result of these cuts.

Exactly!

Sorry if i duplicate other thoughts but i don't have time to read all other comments;

I think its 100% right!! WHY should I pay for other peoples education! I didn't go to uni and i have very good paid job by starting from the bottom and making my way up.

I know a few people who went to uni and after finishing their degree's, changing their minds. Why should i pay some towards of waste of education?

If the cost of the education has gone up like i have to pay for the cost in petrol going up and council tax ect then so should they pay for their education!

I annoys me that there are people who sit on their bums and can get their uni fees waved as the goverment is trying to get them into work but thats life. You need to pay in america and most other places so why not here??

Because the social and power structure in countries where higher education is not free and accessible to all regardless of wealth end up being unfair and not representative of all people from all backgrounds. The rich will have access to power and opportunities and an elite will be deeper ingrained in our society.

Besides, don't be expecting your taxes to be going down any time soon or even ever as a result of these cuts.

Exactly!

If that was the case then i would pay... i planned my child and i made sure i had enough money to provide before i had him and if i had to pay for his education too, i would have just had to save a little longer.

People don't realise how lucky we are in the UK to start with!! i had to pay to do my NVQ3's plus my aditional qualifications but i didnt mind as thats life.

I think its sad that it costs so much but if the cost has gone up then so should the price!

I can see why it would be hard for the poorer people but wont the student loans just increase for them?

If that was the case then i would pay... i planned my child and i made sure i had enough money to provide before i had him and if i had to pay for his education too, i would have just had to save a little longer.

People don't realise how lucky we are in the UK to start with!! i had to pay to do my NVQ3's plus my aditional qualifications but i didnt mind as thats life.

I think its sad that it costs so much but if the cost has gone up then so should the price!

I can see why it would be hard for the poorer people but wont the student loans just increase for them?

And you've just highlighted the real inequality in our education system. Adult and further education should also be free. I'm lucky and have been given a bursary to do my current NVQ3 but the government has scrapped funding of that scheme so others won't now be able to benefit.

The reason why poorer people will suffer if that if they choose to go to uni they will leave it up to £27,000 in debt and spend 30 years paying it off. That's longer than most mortgages. Rough figures have shown that the lowest earners will never pay off their loans but will still be contributing to them for almost all their working life without having financially benefited by them at all. The highest earners on the other hand will pay them off far more quickly than anyone else and thus pay far less interest (I'm talking 10s of thousands of pounds) so will be financially least put out despite being the richest and benefiting the most financially from their degree.

And you've just highlighted the real inequality in our education system. Adult and further education should also be free. I'm lucky and have been given a bursary to do my current NVQ3 but the government has scrapped funding of that scheme so others won't now be able to benefit.

The reason why poorer people will suffer if that if they choose to go to uni they will leave it up to £27,000 in debt and spend 30 years paying it off. That's longer than most mortgages. Rough figures have shown that the lowest earners will never pay off their loans but will still be contributing to them for almost all their working life without having financially benefited by them at all. The highest earners on the other hand will pay them off far more quickly than anyone else and thus pay far less interest (I'm talking 10s of thousands of pounds) so will be financially least put out despite being the richest and benefiting the most financially from their degree.

Well i had no idea thats how much it cost to go through uni so i appologise for my ignorance there!! i am rather shocked that it costs so much.

It currently costs £3750 ish (can't remember exact figure) per year but the new fees go up to a maximum of £9000 pa. Some will be £6000 but the reality is that given the government cuts to teaching almost all degrees will almost certainly be £9000pa. The loan system means payment from earnings of £21000 and any remaining after 30 years will be written off.

I dont see why we should get university free or even particulary cheap.

Not everything is easy and should be handed to us on a plate.

Maybe it will stop people going to university and doing pointless degrees and just getting drunk

Evereyone keeps talking about 'pointless' degrees. I'm sorry, but what is a pointless degree?
Who are you to judge what is or isn't pointless?
Sure, an art degree seems 'pointless' to me, because I cannot do art, but to someone who has a passion for the subject, pointless it isn't.

I class pointless degrees as things that are difficult to get a job in such as Drama, Music, Dance, Art and History. The only possible careers in those types of subjects is to become a teacher to teach more children to waste their life doing these subjects. I feel that science subjects and law subjects should be cheaper than the art based ones.

Well I did a marine biology degree which is certainly science and there aren't many jobs in that. Doing a degree increases a whole host of skills beyond the obvious subject related knowledge. So long as a person isn't a total waster then any degree had a point and a waster could be doing any degree anyway. It's not the degree that matters, it's the person's commitment and drive that gets them where they want to be.

And other than teaching there is academic research, social research, careers in theatre or TV or show, drama therapy for mentally disabled children, running history themed package holidays and tours, working for cultural charities, working on art projects with disadvantaged youth... Just because someone can't imagine all the different ways education in a certain field can lead doesn't mean they don't exist or have value.

Oh and if the level of teaching contact time and capital and consumable resources is calculated science degrees will most likely cost more than most art degrees in real terms.

I class pointless degrees as things that are difficult to get a job in such as Drama, Music, Dance, Art and History. The only possible careers in those types of subjects is to become a teacher to teach more children to waste their life doing these subjects. I feel that science subjects and law subjects should be cheaper than the art based ones.

So basically only rich people should become artists, dancers, musicians and historians?

What type of culture do you think that would produce? With only rich people expressing themselves in those subjects? Doesn't sound like a culture I'd particularly want to be exposed to.

People don't seem to understand or care for the bigger picture. We should surely strive for a classless society even though in reality it is not very probable. Tuition fee increases: We're not changing anyone's taxes, we're not helping the economy, we're not getting rid of drunken students, we're just making society a place were rich people have access to power and opportunity and poor people have to struggle even harder than they have done before.

People keep saying that "oh people shouldn't expect things to be handed to them on a plate" but I don't think people do unless they're rich and daddy can pay for everything anyway. :shrug:

I'm sorry, but what?

Without people studying Music, Dance and Drama where do you think we would get out musical culture from?
The only jobs available are in teaching? No. I really don't think so. Music is a broad subject. Music production, music enginerring, sound production etc. There is so much more, technical based stuff to music than simply singing a song or playing an instrument. Without these people behin the scenes, we would have no bands or artists. We would have no CD's or recordings. We would have no composers or timeless classical peices. Music is a subject, a hard subject to study. I'm sure Mozart and Beethoven didn't just decide one day they were going to make masterpeices. It takes, skill, knowledge and effort.

The same goes for Dance and Drama. People don't just graduate and teach it. They go on and become professionals, working in their chosen subjects. Just like any other degree.
I know a girl who done Music and Dance as a degree and she was chosen to go to Pineapple Studios in London and become a dancer. Pineapple studios provides the dancers needed for films, backing dancers etc. I wouldn't say that is a wasted degree.

The same for art and history. Art Historian, Historian, Collector, Antiques, Tour Guide, Writer, Photography etc. these are all subjects found within each of these degrees that certainly require skill, knowledge and decication.

To me, unless you have done each and every degree for yourself, you cannot comment on their usefullness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->