TVs In Kids' Bedrooms

Discussion in 'Santa's Grotto' started by MMAmummy, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MMAmummy

MMAmummy Mum to 2 boys & WTT #3

At what age did/would you put a TV in your kids' bedrooms?

I was talking to OH today and he said he wanted to get DS a TV as a treat for starting school. He will be 4 years 8 months by then. But I was kind of thinking it's a bit big a gift just for starting school and maybe it could be his big present for next Christmas. He will be 5 by then.

I've been quite against him having a TV in his room before he's at school although he gets to watch plenty of TV in the livingroom. He'll still get his books at night Sunday to Thursday and a DVD at night at the weekends. The TV is mainly for his DVDS as he watches them just now on his portable DVD player.

2. leoniebabey

leoniebabey mam of 2 boys

my lo was just about 3, it wasnt really through choice and i wouldnt have bought them one specificly but my mum gave him it lol so i couldnt really object.
    he doesnt really watch it a great deal as dvds before bed hypes them both up lol!

3. Savannah11

Savannah11 Love my boys xxx

My LO is 2 1/2 and has a tv in his playroom which I guess is different as he doesn't ever get to sit and watch it at night times as it's not where he sleeps - only when he asks for a DVD whilst he's playing xx

4. hulahoop09

hulahoop09 Mum to lg and pg #2

Me and hubby have one in our room with sky on so if I am ever getting ready and she doesnt want to play in her room in her ball pit or with her toys then I will pop peppa pig on for half hour while I get ready. They dont have room in their room for one anyway.

I would say from sort of 4 upwards maybe, if they do have one in their room ever I will be taking the plug off before bed so they cant switch it on though :D Lmao. xx

I do think it is a personal preference thing hun.

xx

5. MMAmummy

MMAmummy Mum to 2 boys & WTT #3

I think there's certain members of our family who might frown upon a TV as a gift for a 5 year old but I can't think of a big gift for him after this year...

6. sweetlullaby

sweetlullaby Well-Known Member

There is a tv in LO's bedroom (he shares with OHs two older boys) it's only ever on when OH's boys are here and in the mornings so a couple of times a year. I don't like it being in the room and he won't ever be allowed to watch tv when going to bed. I'm quite strict with the tv lol

7. Jaysmummy

Jaysmummy Mum of 3 and WTT

My DD was nearly 3 when my stepdad bought her a tv/dvd combi. I wouldn't have got one for her at that age but she's had good use out of it. She watches. Dvd every night before bed (naughty mummy!)

The boys share a room and so don't have one yet as Kaiden's only 1. They will more than likely get one in the next year or 2 though they're not fussed ATM.

8. comicwife

comicwife Proud mum of 4

I think my kids were 3&4 yrs when I put a tv in their room as we came to an agreement that if they went to bed half hour early they could watch half hour of there programmes before lights out and it worked a treat settling them down for the night they are now 7&8yrs and they don't really bother with the tv much as they now prefer to read before lights out and also it's great if they want to watch a film the other one doesn't during the day at weekends it stops a lot of fights lol

9. abstersmum

abstersmum Well-Known Member

I'm considering getting my 12 year old one I had said she wouldn't get one till 15 but we will see

10. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

3ish. Only has dvd player not actual tv on it.

11. vaniilla

vaniilla Well-Known Member

DS won't be having one in his room for quite a few years as he only uses his bedroom for sleeping in and we don't see any point in putting one in his playroom. We have a tv in our bedroom which he watches on rare occasions he comes into our room in the morning.

12. Kay_Baby

Kay_Baby Well-Known Member

I personally don't like tv's in bedrooms and don't even have one in ours. I'm lucky enough to have a play room downstairs and will put a tv in there when he is about 5.

At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference and your child.

13. mommymakayla

mommymakayla Mommy of 2

We got one for our DD when she was 2 1/2 or so. To help her sleep in her own room, since she refused to do so. If it wasnt for the fact that she wouldnt sleep in her room she wouldnt have got it.

14. Kate&Lucas

Kate&Lucas & OH & Mush

I don't plan to at all. I don't have TV in my room either, to me it's just not where a TV goes.

15. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

I am currently considering putting one in Thomas' room in the hopes that he will lay down and go to sleep. Currently exploring aromatherapy (lavender oil and vervain) before his paediatrician puts him on melatonin.

I am still not keen on putting a TV in his room but I'm pretty desperate right now.

16. Wriggley

Wriggley Well-Known Member

Mine does not have one in his room it's not something I have even thought about lol

we don't have one in ours either lol

17. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

Imogen keeps saying she wants a tv in her room (she shares with her sister) if she does get one it'll be at DH's expense cause she doesn't even sleep in her own room!! It'd probably only get used when I need to do cleaning upstairs, putting clothes away etc.

18. BigLegEmma

BigLegEmma Well-Known Member

We don't have a TV in the home, period. There'll be no TV in bedrooms. We may get one for the living room, DVD only, no arial.

19. Lotty

Lotty Mummy Of A Little Boy

We bought LO a DVD Only TV for his bedroom when he was about 1..It doesnt go on at night times, He cant turn it on himself and We are usually down stairs playing and reading during the day, we dont have any problems or issues with him having one :) x

20. Bambi1985

Bambi1985 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this!