Twins....anyone?

The only thing about twins that scares me (well, not scare really) is that they would be same sex.

don't worry shelley, the type of twins the article is talking about is non-identical (fraternal) twins, so you could still have a boy and girl! :thumbup:

as far as i know, you cannot increase the chances of having identical twins.

another piece of info: the ones that are inherited (run in families) are the non-identical twins, and it only matters if the twins are in the maternal side (as it's the woman ovulating twice, so the father has no effect in this).
although there are reports of cases of identical twins in the same family, there is no scientific evidence of a genetic cause.

ruth - do you know ruth if the twins in your town were identical or fraternal? i'd love to search for that info.
(yes, i work on something related to this) :blush:

Ohh oh - my mum is a twin, she has a twin brother....

Part of me is terrified about having twins, its hard on the pregnancy and 2 babies would seriously hard work! My close friend has twins and her husband works away from home and she found it seriously hard when they were babies. The other part of me would love twins, I would be done and dusted in one go! A little tiny bit of me would like to spend the time on just one baby though, undivided attention. But hey whatever is in there is welcome.

Do you get worse morning sickness with twins? Mine started yesterday and the last 2 days have been pretty hard to survive :( All worth it in the end but feeling ill is certainly taking the shine off!

I didnt get any morning sickness at all - I felt sick until week 9 but was never actually sick. I dont know what is typical though

vicky - i love the picture of you with your new born twins!

thank you - Sam was 20 mins old and Fynn 34 mins - it was the proudest moment of my life. Even though I still cant google and see what forceps actually look like lol

I know what forceps look like and I think ignorance is bliss where they are concerned :)

I don't know if I could survive a multiple pregnancy..
Pregnancy is alot harder the older I have gotten:wacko:

My cousin had her 1 and only at 39...she told me the best advice she could give is to get in shape ASAP...

she was actually planning for 2 initially, and ended up changing her mind...

vicky - i love the picture of you with your new born twins!

thank you - Sam was 20 mins old and Fynn 34 mins - it was the proudest moment of my life. Even though I still cant google and see what forceps actually look like lol

OMG, don't want to think about it!!

Me too (or should that be 2!).

Would love to fall pregnant & be told at my scan I 'm having twins..what a blessing! :baby::baby:

Fx for a double whamy ladies!:thumbup:

:hugs:

Hi ladies! In my twin book I read whilst pregnant says:
1. The chances of having twins rises as you get older, the peak age is 35 to 39 (as you've already said)
2. Women are more likely to have twins the more children they have
3. Fraternal twins are more common if there is a presence on the mothers side of the family, not the fathers
4. Identicals are random
5. IVF increases the chance of multiples. 1 in 4 ivf pregnancies result in multiples.

I've also heard that yams help! But apparently its a different kind of yam that we have, an african lady was telling me. Not so sure...

By the way I don't follow ANY of the above at all, mine was a COMPLETE fluke! A lovely fluke, but my lord it was such a surprise that when the sonographer told me there
I started to hyperventilate on the chair.

Twins are hard hard work, a blessing but HARD work! The first 2 months I actually cursed my body for releasing 2 eggs, lol! It was a really very difficult time so I'd say if any of you do fall pregnant with multiples do arrange as much help as humanly possibl for the first few weeks, I promise you will need it. People used to tell me that and I'd laugh as I thought I could do it, but I couldn't, maybe I'm just weak! Also, just so you know, I didn't have many symptoms, actually I had less than my friends who have had single babies. People say symptoms are doubled with twins but I personally wasn't sick or anything, just very very tired all the time!

They are such a joy and its beautiful to see them growing together and playing together. Mine are now trying to hold each others hands. It makes those first difficult 2 months SO worth it :)

Good luck beautiful ladies! Xx

I'd love to have twins! My family has twins on both sides (grandparents, sister and aunt on my mom's, sister and niece on my dad's), but so far none for me or my sister.

For me, check age (38), BMI (30), cereal and dairy, plus multiple pregnancies (8 -- 5mscgs, two amazing daughters and a son I wasn't able to hold on to).

So bring those babies ON!!

I'd love to have twins! My family has twins on both sides (grandparents, sister and aunt on my mom's, sister and niece on my dad's), but so far none for me or my sister.

For me, check age (38), BMI (30), cereal and dairy, plus multiple pregnancies (8 -- 5mscgs, two amazing daughters and a son I wasn't able to hold on to).

now if you can only find those damn yams...:haha: :baby::baby:

Me too (or should that be 2!).

Would love to fall pregnant & be told at my scan I 'm having twins..what a blessing! :baby::baby:

Fx for a double whamy ladies!:thumbup:

:hugs:

Are you still going with Clomid? It will increase your chances....FXed!!!:baby::baby:

Hi ladies! In my twin book I read whilst pregnant says:
1. The chances of having twins rises as you get older, the peak age is 35 to 39 (as you've already said)
2. Women are more likely to have twins the more children they have
3. Fraternal twins are more common if there is a presence on the mothers side of the family, not the fathers
4. Identicals are random
5. IVF increases the chance of multiples. 1 in 4 ivf pregnancies result in multiples.

I've also heard that yams help! But apparently its a different kind of yam that we have, an african lady was telling me. Not so sure...

By the way I don't follow ANY of the above at all, mine was a COMPLETE fluke! A lovely fluke, but my lord it was such a surprise that when the sonographer told me there
I started to hyperventilate on the chair.

Twins are hard hard work, a blessing but HARD work! The first 2 months I actually cursed my body for releasing 2 eggs, lol! It was a really very difficult time so I'd say if any of you do fall pregnant with multiples do arrange as much help as humanly possibl for the first few weeks, I promise you will need it. People used to tell me that and I'd laugh as I thought I could do it, but I couldn't, maybe I'm just weak! Also, just so you know, I didn't have many symptoms, actually I had less than my friends who have had single babies. People say symptoms are doubled with twins but I personally wasn't sick or anything, just very very tired all the time!

They are such a joy and its beautiful to see them growing together and playing together. Mine are now trying to hold each others hands. It makes those first difficult 2 months SO worth it :)

Good luck beautiful ladies! Xx

wow, you have a BEAUTIFUL family :flower: how old were you when you got pregnant with the twins?

I recently read up on twins as we have quite a few in our family and learnt how it was on the mother's side as its from hyperovulation....where you pop out 2 eggs (like you said, far more common than random identicals where the fertalized egg splits into 2). and even though its on your mums side it can skip a generation, like say my dads grandmother had it then my dad wont but can pass it onto his female children.

my aunty had 3 boys and tried again for a girl....and got twin boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

on the yams... I believe it is called YUCA or CASSAVA and I do find it at our grocery store by the frozen foods section.

yucca.jpg

i think the idea comes from the fact that men are unaffected, so if a woman has twin boys they will not have twins but their daughters (the granddaughters) may have them.

My 2 cents LOL

it does not come from the father's side because what causes fraternal twins is the release of two eggs, the man has nothing to do with that. For identicals it is a fluke, your egg has to split in two as it is already fertilized by the one sperm.

In my family:
My mother's father had twin sisters....My father's Aunt (on his mother's side) had twin girls
Age 40 (it does increase with age, from what I read it does not stop at 39)
BMI...yes it is over 30 LOL
I have to have cheese daily...it's my thing ;-)

I would love to have twins because they are cute and mainly cause I would like to have 2 this time so they keep each other company, don't think hubby will want to give it a go again after this pregnancy, or that I could given my age. The amount of work does frighten me though

I would love twins and then I would be done.....and probably crazy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->