Twins can u tell?

Jencocoa

Reaction score
I was measuring large so doc did a peek but not with the big fancy scan machine, just a little thing in office. After a long pause, she said just one WAIT no just one. How much can I trust this? Was anyone ever told it was just one at 9 weeks and later learned it was twins ?

I have seen several YouTube videos where women find out at their second scan they are having twins

At 9 weeks the doc would have to be very incompetent to not see twins as they are very easily visible. Anyone who cant see twins at 9 weeks shouldnt be scanning.

I agree that it's REALLY hard to miss twins, especially at 9 weeks. I mean, I'm sure it COULD happen, but it would be extremely rare, and I'd definitely find a new doctor. But, I know 4 couples who've had twins in the last year, and all of them knew from their first ultrasound.

Wasn't there a woman here about a year ago who discovered a previously undetected twin at something insane, like 30 weeks?!

I read a few places how a twin can be missed at the first scan but by 20 weeks its most def possible to see.
I'm curious as to can they tell if you're only having one by just using a Doppler?

OMG the exact same thing happened to me!!! It went like this:

"Now let's just make sure there's only one in there" (while scanning)
"Yep! Just one! WAIT - Nope, just the one!" :haha:

I asked about it though and she said it was just the angle of the baby that made her think there may have been a shadow directly behind him/her. But she changed her angle and saw there was just the one. They could miss a second baby if it is directly behind the first from where they're scanning, so they always make sure to check just in case. It might have been the same thing! I agree with above - missing a twin would be pretty rare nowadays but I'm sure it does happen.

I hope you are alright! Twins would be really overwhelming right now!

Like someone else said if a doctor misses a twin at 9 weeks he really should find a new profession! I am not a doctor and I told the ultrasound tech there was 2 the second she turned the screen on. She said Yep you're right LOL... At that point it was 2 gestation sacs but crazy obvious.

I've heard lots of stories about people missing twins on the first scan - have a read through the twins section to see some of their stories! (waiting to find out if we have two in there as I'm huuuuuuge atm)

I thought I had two in there but due to being quiet ill I had an early scan and its just the one . But if i found out it was two in a couple of weeks id freak out lol x

Your generally just bigger on pregnancies after your first as your body just knows what it needs to do so gets prepared so much earlier. I think a mummy in the March group was so big she was asked how many weeks left and she just said I'm 9 weeks. There was only one in there. Her bloat was just big.

Well my scanner almost missed mine because they were in the same sac and are identical. One was top left corner, one was bottom right. But, that was at 6w0 when they are teeny tiny and she really took her time, probably because she was as shocked as I was. I can see how it's possible to miss identicals because they're in the same sac, but an astute sonographer as yours sounds to be OP, would never.

I agree with Brandy.

I have to say though that I'm shocked in my various Twins FB groups just how many twins were missed up to week 20! That should NEVER happen!!

I've had two friends tell me that they didn't see their twins until they were going to get their gender scan! And they both said the same thing to me "One was under the other and a little smaller".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->