Two different weeks on how far along I am. CONFUSED!!

cry31

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new to this site so please bear with me.
I had my first sonogram 12/08 and was told she didn't know how far along I was at that point, as it was either too early to measure, or I was having a missed miscarriage. As a result, I had to have my HCG measured. My first test was around 15,000, and then it was supposed to double in 48 hours, it didn't but the second one was 23,000.

They scheduled me for another sonogram 2 weeks later, December 22nd, in which they dated the pregnancy as 7 weeks and 3 days. Due date August 10 2015. This is where things get weird. They had me come back in 3 weeks for my first real sonogram and pregnancy visit. That was yesterday. My LMP was Nov 3, and it was quite light and only lasted 3 days. (This is unusual for me - typically I'm 5-6 days and heavy) As of yesterday the u/s measurement dated me at 10w4d. The dr said based on my LMP they will go with 10wks as of yesterday.

TODAY, I saw a different OB, bc I just have felt unimpressed with my current OB and wanted a second opinion. That OB dated me at 12 weeks and 2 days. That is quite a discrepancy and I'm not sure which one I should believe.

The reason for concern is my ex and I were in a relationship for 12 years, were last together in october 3rd week or so. I didn't have sex again until around nov 10th, with someone I started dating. Based on the 10 weeks, it is the new guy, but 12 would quite possibly make it my ex. I would like to at least have a good idea who the father is before the child is born.

My period in October was on the 11th. So I'm not sure how the dates line up but I am super confused. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it. But be nice I'm pregnant and sensitive :cry:

I don't think the 12 weeks estimate would work at all with your LMP date, because it would mean that you ovulated around the time your period started. There is a slim chance that could happen, but it is rare.

You were scanned twice, 3 weeks apart, with the first ob and the measurements were almost 3 weeks apart exactly. Those numbers also align better with your LMP. So I would go along with that.

Did you tell the second dr about your previous scans or when your LMP was? What did he/she say?

I did tell her, and she seemed confident that her scan was the correct one. But I'm inclined to believe the first ones, more so because I had 3 scans and they seem to align, and this one seems out of left field. The only thing that makes me think twice, is my LMP nov 3 was quite light, and my Oct 11 was my normal 5 day heavy flow.

The only thing that makes me think twice, is my LMP nov 3 was quite light, and my Oct 11 was my normal 5 day heavy flow.

Oh wow, and Oct 11 for a LMP would put you right at 12 weeks! So maybe it was just pregnancy spotting with the November bleeding. I don't know how the first OB could mess up so much, but if the second one knows about your first scans and is still confident, then I would almost trust her instead.

Since 12 weeks is when it is recommended to do a nuchal translucency scan, you could get another more indepth scan. It can't be done past 13 weeks, so you would need to request it soon. You are usually referred out to a hospital for an NT scan since it usually goes above and beyond what an OB can do with their in-office u/s machines. It would give you a better quality ultrasound and a third person doing the measuring. It would once and for all solve the mystery of how far along you are.

That is a great point, I actually have that scan set up for next Tuesday! When I put my LMP oct 11 into a calculator online it said 13 wks and a few days, so it still seemed off to me, but the nuchal scan should be very accurate. Thanks for your help :thumbup:

That is a great point, I actually have that scan set up for next Tuesday! When I put my LMP oct 11 into a calculator online it said 13 wks and a few days, so it still seemed off to me, but the nuchal scan should be very accurate. Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Oh darn, I did my math wrong, you're right! :dohh: It will be interesting to see what your measurements are next week.

Oh good luck, I am hoping the best for you and hope you find out the correct dates with your scan. How unfortunate you're in this situation with confusion about the father, but at least you will have an AMAZING baby!! Hugs :hugs: I love this forum, lots of support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->