Two questions on leaks

spicyorange

Reaction score
1. I haven't been leaking milk between feeds. Does everyone leak? I've had breast pads on but they stay dry, people bought me hundreds so I was expecting leaks but I haven't, is that normal? Does it mean I have low supply? Could I still leak later down the line? (DD is 11 days old)

2. DD dribbles milk out the side of her mouth when she feeds, running down onto my bra and my tummy, is this normal our does it mean she isn't latched properly or isn't swallowing well? I can hear her gulping and she feels latched ok (no pain etc) but I've not heard about this before.

Not everyone leaks :) I only ever leaked when my letdown from nursing on one side hit so the other one would leak.

It could be her latch but not necessarily. Your flow could just be a little too fast for her to keep up with and it is better for her to dribble some out then choke on it. You will either stop flowing as fast or she will grow and be able to swallow more :)

I wear a padded bra so I don't really notice.

As forthe dribbling, see if your baby will feed with you lying on your side. Put a burp cloth under the baby and the dribbles will fall onto the cloth instead of you. It may be more comfortable for baby too if you have a fast letdown.

I hardly ever leaked. The dribbling milk could be that she is creating a gap because there is too much for her to take. Once the flow has slowed, make sure she has a good seal though as any gaps will make it very hard for her to extract the slower flowing milk. Her cheeks should always look fat while she drinks, not sucked in, and there should not be clicking with every suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->