Ugh. Any tips? (Alcohol)

sunnylove

Reaction score
One of my best friend's birthdays is tonight. She plans on bar hopping and getting smashed. Completely passed that stage in my life (actually never really got into it), but it's her birthday and getting drunk is one of her favorite pass-times. Anyway, we haven't told anyone we're pregnant yet and we don't plan to for awhile. How exactly do I discretely not drink without it being obvious? I've never been a big drinker anyway so it shouldn't be too surprising to her, but I don't want anyone getting any ideas. Advice?

Tricky one. There are a few options:

1. Drive, probably the easiest and most reliable excuse
2. Use the antibiotics/illness excuse (though in my experience this raises more suspicion than anything else!)
3. Buy a glass of wine and carry it around with you but don't actually drink it. Hope no-one notices.
4. Buy soft drinks and pretend there are mixers in it (it can help to have a friend who's in on this especially if you buy rounds)
5. Hope that the bar you go to has non-alcoholic wines/beers that you can get and peel off the label
6. Tell them you're pregnant (probably not really what you want to do!)
7. Don't go, or go for only a short time

I hope it works out!

Just tell her your only planning on having a couple, she should respect that and not press you why your not drinking if you put it like that

I had this problem recently and I just ordered cranberry and sprite or cranberry and gingerale. Looks like a vodka cranberry....just don't let anyone buy one for you ;)
Good luck!!

Just tell her you don't feel like drinking tonight. If she presses on it just say you don't really feel all the well and would prefer not to make it worse by drinking.

Say you're watching your weight. Or you drank waaaaaay too much last night and you feel a little sick still.

Say you have to pick your OH up later so can't drink. Pretend that you are furious with him :haha:

I struggled with this in early pregnancy. i am 23 and some friends are a little younger so very much still into clubbing.
some excuses i made on various nights out-
Not enough money (it was xmas soon after so used that)
Had to pick someone up from the airport at like 6am which id promised

trying to stop drinking as much to lose a bit of weight

i was very surprised that nobody found out but others are having too good a night to care tbh
one night i did pretend to drink and have lemonade limes and what a hassle it was! People would buy me a drink which id have to leave ona table etc would avoid that if possible

I've got the same dilemma this Friday. I don't drive and am starting at my best mates house that night, plus she wants to drink before going out. I can't cancel, because I cancelled on her before christmas and had to miss her daughter's birthday in January because my son's had something else on.
I am probably going to tell her because she is my best friend and had managed to keep my others a secret in the past lol then I will probably just have lemonade and say it's archers and lemonade. Or if I can't get to the bar alone to order then will get her to vouch for me that I have to have antibiotics lol I really don't want one of the girls going to know as she can not keep her mouth shut and would tell EVERYONE!

I say, tell her you're not feeling well. Then when she finds out you're pg, she'll say "Oooooh, that's why you didn't come to my birthday bash!" And then hopefully you two will both have a good laugh at it....:)

Say you have started a detox and it's quite strict on what foods and drinks you can have. Tell her you will take her for a drink when your detox is over. Then in 9 months when your 'detox' is over you can lol

Buy your own drinks, pretend they have alcohol in and if someone tries to buy you one say you're feeling a bit rough so can you just have a soft drink please? ;)

Though watch if you pretend you are drinking it can come back to bite you when you do say you are preg and where out drinking at 9 weeks, or pretending to be anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->