Ugh! Anyone want to talk about Bacterial Vaginosis??

M

MamaLoCo

First off, we're all women here and it's the most common vaginal infection in women, so no shaming or patronizing, please.

Secondly, I'm a little peeved I'm BARELY finding out about this diagnosis. My pap was TWO WEEKS ago! In all honesty, it was my first ever. My mom and I never really taught me about women's health and I just chose to never go to doctors, since I never get sick.

Anyway, I need to talk to some ladies between now and the appointment I have to discuss this with a nurse practitioner. But is that normal- to call someone in to talk about it? I'd think a common infection would just be "pick up your prescription and call if you have any questions."
Do they want to talk because it's serious? What if it's spread to my uterus or fallopian tubes?? I mean, who knows HOW long I've had it?! Some women don't even have any symptoms. I've never had itching or "fishy" odor. I thought I just had a lot of CM. Ok, part of me suspected I might have BV because of the discharge but I always thought I could get rid of it on my own, naturally. It's caused by an overgrowth of "bad" bacteria but I take probiotics off and on, I even have a vaginal health probiotic. Tea tree oil has also worked in stopping the excessive discharge.

In regards to pregnancy, I've read that it can cause early birth and thus low birth weight. Is this at any point in pregnancy, or just if you have it during the later portion of your 3rd trimester?

Especially with the probiotics, and the fact that I drink a lot of kombucha (natural probiotic like yogurt), how the heck do I end up with it??
According to the internet...
1. Lots of sexual partners
2. Lots of sex
3. Douching

Mmmmmk...well, I'm married and don't cheat on my husband so multiple partners is not the case. My husband also happens to have a pretty low libido, so lots of sex is not the case. I mean, I'm lucky if I get it once a week. In fact, once every two weeks might even be lucky. Luckily "pregnant me" is too bloated and tired to care anymore. Oh, and I don't douche.

What gives?
I really hope it's not too serious. It just seems so odd to me that they want me to come in between pre-natal appointments to discuss this.
If it's worth my copay then it must be serious... :(

So now another poster is questioning the safety of the medication for it since there are claims of it causing miscarriage. :/

I had it switching with a yeast infection for like almost two months. The best part... I wasn't even having sex! Lol my doctor knew the moment she looked. The meds have to be explained, but she did it right then and there for me. Could just be different practices have different policies? I would ask her and voice your concern. It could also be because you are expecting they want to take extra precaution with the meds. I wouldn't stress.

I had it switching with a yeast infection for like almost two months. The best part... I wasn't even having sex! Lol my doctor knew the moment she looked. The meds have to be explained, but she did it right then and there for me. Could just be different practices have different policies? I would ask her and voice your concern. It could also be because you are expecting they want to take extra precaution with the meds. I wouldn't stress.

But my appointment is next week and she called in my prescription to the pharmacy and said I can pick it up this afternoon. I'd be almost done with it by the time the appointment rolled around so I don't think it's to discuss the medication :/

Probably a recheck then. I know my doc said she wanted me to come in if my symptoms didn't get better after a week. Could just be pre-emptive because you don't want something like this running rampant while you're preggo

I had it once about a year ago... Had another pap in July and one in December when I had my first prenatal appt and they never said I had it at either of those...but I was told you can get it from using a loofah or washcloth with soap to scrub "down there" and she said to only clean the outside sje said lips haha not the inside of the lips... idk how your supposed to clean yourself throughly without cleaning it all... LOL

I had BV every time I was tested - (fortnightly) from 6 weeks through to 30 weeks (when I went into prem labour because of it!) it's very low risk early in pregnancy but if it really sets in and makes itself comfy can cause prem labour or late miscarriage. They gave me no reason for it, just that it was antibiotic resistent - but that they'd keep trying to treat it.

The way I was told it is metronidazole is the treatment - I took A LOT of it. The benefits outweigh the risks. They managed to stop my labour at 30 weeks (and again at 32!) and I went on to have her at 37 weeks - but it certainly highlighted the risks of the preterm labour thing to me. Luckily DD is absolutely fine and blissfully unaware of all the stress DH and I went through to get her here. :happydance:

First off, we're all women here and it's the most common vaginal infection in women, so no shaming or patronizing, please.

Secondly, I'm a little peeved I'm BARELY finding out about this diagnosis. My pap was TWO WEEKS ago! In all honesty, it was my first ever. My mom and I never really taught me about women's health and I just chose to never go to doctors, since I never get sick.

Anyway, I need to talk to some ladies between now and the appointment I have to discuss this with a nurse practitioner. But is that normal- to call someone in to talk about it? I'd think a common infection would just be "pick up your prescription and call if you have any questions."
Do they want to talk because it's serious? What if it's spread to my uterus or fallopian tubes?? I mean, who knows HOW long I've had it?! Some women don't even have any symptoms. I've never had itching or "fishy" odor. I thought I just had a lot of CM. Ok, part of me suspected I might have BV because of the discharge but I always thought I could get rid of it on my own, naturally. It's caused by an overgrowth of "bad" bacteria but I take probiotics off and on, I even have a vaginal health probiotic. Tea tree oil has also worked in stopping the excessive discharge.

In regards to pregnancy, I've read that it can cause early birth and thus low birth weight. Is this at any point in pregnancy, or just if you have it during the later portion of your 3rd trimester?

Especially with the probiotics, and the fact that I drink a lot of kombucha (natural probiotic like yogurt), how the heck do I end up with it??
According to the internet...
1. Lots of sexual partners
2. Lots of sex
3. Douching

Mmmmmk...well, I'm married and don't cheat on my husband so multiple partners is not the case. My husband also happens to have a pretty low libido, so lots of sex is not the case. I mean, I'm lucky if I get it once a week. In fact, once every two weeks might even be lucky. Luckily "pregnant me" is too bloated and tired to care anymore. Oh, and I don't douche.

What gives?
I really hope it's not too serious. It just seems so odd to me that they want me to come in between pre-natal appointments to discuss this.
If it's worth my copay then it must be serious... :(

We are alike in many ways..I am married and not cheating, don't douche, and certainly don't have lots of sex..my husband and I have maybe had sex 5times in three months.. (And since I found out about the BV yesterday won't be any sex until further notice). What I am reading is how common BV is in pregnant women and for the most part the side effects aren't so bad...it's just the stuff like miscarriage or preterm labor that obviously worry me. I have had sometimes excruciating cramps/pains in my pelvic area and this causes me further worry. I wonder is this because of the BV. I am also having a slight odor and discharge and wonder how long I have had this infection.. I have been checked on two prior occasions and the doctors found nothing...but I knew there was something wrong.. Urine tests couldn't pull it up though.. Only when I had my pap did the BV get discovered. I am baffled where it came from, how I can prevent it from recurring, and exactly how harmful it could be to my baby. As pregnant women though, we will have our worries.. Maybe we are both reading too much into our situations. Praying u have a safe and healthy pregnancy!

I had in on and off for months before I got pregnant in 2013. For some reason it went away and it never came back. I've suspected I had it again (because of the discharge...turns out that's common in pregnancy) a couple times since but when I was tested it was negative. I found taking pro-biotics specifically a brand called Fem dophillus is what helped clear it out for good. I was also worried about pre-term labor, but I went full term and delivered a perfect baby.

I've had it once in the past (not pregnant) when I did have symtoms. And I don't douche, don't have a lot of sex, etc. They prescribed a cream, but said it could go away on its own and I could wait. Which it did - I never took the cream. I am pregnant again, and am slightly worried I could have it again and will ask to get checked for it at my appointment on Mo.
Are they prescribing cream or the pills? Which antibiotic Clindamycin or Metronidazone?
The pills seem to be causing some awful side effects that scare me - but unfortunately it looks like the pills are the only way to possibly help with all the scary risks of BV in pregnancy. And recurrence is not unlikely. It looks like BV is extremely common in pregnancy, sth like 10-20% of pregnant ladies have it - but from what I've read they don't screen for it, as the medication hasn't been shown to make a difference in pregnancy complications in asymptomatic BV ladies.

Oh my gosh I can completely sympathize and talk for days about BV... I was the queen of BV! :haha: I suffered for months on and of over a few years, it was AWFUL. I can't tell you how many times I had been to my gyno for YI, BV or UTI :nope: Along with regularly treating with prescription meds I tried everything - unscented bath soap (ie. Vagisil) and detergent, limiting or cutting out sugar from my diet, switching to a washcloth instead of loofah, not shaving down there, taking probiotic capsules, eating/drinking yogurt with acidophilus. It would happen so frequently that I was going to the doctor, describing the symptoms and telling him exactly what I had... only for him to confirm and me pay for an office visit so he so kindly gave me refills on meds for all three. I've also used the clear gel for BV and pearlescent cream for YI.THANKFULLY since discontinuing the BC pill and TTC I haven't had any recurrence of ANYTHING!!! {knocking on wood} :happydance: The last time I thought I had BV my suspected symptoms went away after a day or two so I think I had grown so paranoid getting it nearly monthly that I assumed I had it again but didn't :shrug: I've never had BV when pregnant, but from past researching on the web I believe the metrogel is used safely. In a prior visit, my doctor actually prescribed me the gel to use as prescribed for the initial treatment (I think it was one applicator at night for a week?) and then said he had a few women trying a method where you use one applicator a week for the next 6 months to prevent it from ever coming back. (I never stuck with the 6 month thing) Since they called in a Rx I'm sure you are going to be seen again by your doc to make sure it has cleared up. I'm glad you are getting treated and try not to worry. I actually saw my doctor in October last year because after TTC for months unsuccessfully (after conceiving two other children immediately) I feared that my plague of BV had rotted out my tubes or something and made me infertile. I got my :bfp: 2 months later and have been infection free for months now!

Good luck! :hugs:

Thank you for the responses. I don't feel as icky about this anymore. I read that it was common but still felt like I had done something wrong or that I was dirty.

I was prescribed 500mg 2x daily of metronidazole tablets.

I'm not sure about taking probiotics at the same time but as soon as I'm done with the treatment, I'm going to try to take the womens probiotics regularly instead of just randomly when I see them in my fridge like twice a month at best lol.

I have a feeling I've had it for a while so I'm prepared to hear if it's resisting treatment. She didn't say anything about getting another check though. She just said she wants me to talk to a nurse practitioner about my test results.

They didn't say they were going to do a drug test but...I wonder if they found a certain herbal substance in my urine that I was using for my anxiety and mood swings...which I stopped doing when I got my positive test except that one experimental day where I confirmed that it's the ONLY thing that cured the nausea...and I mean IMMEDIATELY and gave me my energy back...within less than 2 minutes. It's a shame too. I've been on all kinds of pharmaceuticals that are so dangerous and I have so much experience in vitamins and herbs and have tried so many different things. No wonder it's illegal in most states still, it's the only thing that could legitimately and severely cut the profits of Big Pharma. I can't take my 5-HTP anymore either so I'm now a very anxious, anger prone, obsessive, nauseated pregnant woman...it's only a matter of time before the depression comes back and I'm already prepping myself for pretty bad post-partum depression.

Or maybe they just want to tell me that I have HIV or Cancer and didn't want to say it over the phone.

I'm sure you do not have HIV or cancer! :dohh: And I'm sure the antibiotics will properly treat your infection. Are they the while nasty tasting bitter pills? Those always left a yucky taste in my throat :sick: but they work.

Regarding the herbal substance... I read of a BnB lady that uses patches, but of course those aren't legally sold all over the states :nope: Kudos to you for quitting once you became pregnant but perhaps you can research other non-prescription coping mechanisms for your anxiety, anger and nausea? I found a yummy Ginger brownie recipe that's supposed to be helpful in treating nausea :thumbup: I hope you feel better soon!

I'm sure you do not have HIV or cancer! :dohh: And I'm sure the antibiotics will properly treat your infection. Are they the while nasty tasting bitter pills? Those always left a yucky taste in my throat :sick: but they work.

Regarding the herbal substance... I read of a BnB lady that uses patches, but of course those aren't legally sold all over the states :nope: Kudos to you for quitting once you became pregnant but perhaps you can research other non-prescription coping mechanisms for your anxiety, anger and nausea? I found a yummy Ginger brownie recipe that's supposed to be helpful in treating nausea :thumbup: I hope you feel better soon!

yes, the chalky ones! Now that I'm pregnant and DEFINITELY shouldn't be drinking soda...I've suddenly developed a liking to soda again so I washed them down with water and then covered up the taste with Big Red soda :)

I'm in Texas I don't anticipate medicinal usage anytime soon...especially not for pregnant women...plus, I'd only be comfortable justifying that through the first trimester, which I'm almost out of.

I was one of the Vitamin Managers a my Natural health Food Store, working very closely with our staff Nutritionist too...I've tried everything. The only things that even come close to working are 5-HTP, Holy Basil, (even though it makes me sleepy) and Ashwagandha but usually only when mixed with a bunch of other Ayurvedic herbs. I went through all my supplements and verified them all individually to make sure I wouldn't take anything that would cause uterine contractions or anything but none of the stuff that works seems to be approved or researched thoroughly enough for pregnancy. The only thing I can do is increase my Omega-3's, primarily DHA, and Vitamin D and hope that will get me through. It's just so many pills to take.

I really don't like ginger but that reminded me of lavender brownies! Lavender is calming...what a great idea. I'm going to pick up some dried lavender and brownie mix tomorrow :D

I used to take tons of probiotics because I always had issues with yeast infections and thought it might lead into BV this I had them all the time and was doing everything right, just like you! The probiotics helped me a lot....and eating yogurt.

If you don't mind me asking what were your side effects of having BV you said you think you've had it a while?

Only reason I ask is because I've been having odd green discharge time too time with odour or itch. Midwife and doctor keeps dismissing it! Finally on my third attempt I've been given a swab to do at home, so hopefully ill get some answers as to whether it's normal or not x

Well it's a good thing something about being pregnant made me able to stomach yogurt. Before, I'd just think about it as curds coming out of a cow's udders and it was really disturbing enough to deter me from eating it ever.

My symptoms...well, just discharge and *some* odor. no itchiness.
It's always clear or white though and not fishy. It also isn't everyday. I thought most of the odor was just sweat from down there because most of the time, it would just be wet, not discharge-like...so if I didn't wear a panty-liner, it would seep through my panties and the odor would get onto my pants and I wouldn't be able to wear them more than once between washes.

Green discharge is definitely a sign of something though. I don't understand why they didn't just offer you a pap smear.
Then again I'm in the US and doctors are a lot quicker to do anything they can charge my insurance for.

I had BV. :( I think I might actually be getting the symptoms again. :'(

However, I had an early miscarriage the month before I was pregnant, my doctor told me that pregnancy itself can mess with your pH balance and you can go from fine one day to BV the next. He said to definitely not blame myself, he could tell obviously that it was nothing I personally did that caused it. The antibiotics gave me a yeast infection.

I don't feel like I've smelled right ever since, even though I didn't have any symptoms prior to finding out, and only developed symptoms after (had to wake to take antibiotics because I had the flu and he didn't feel it was worth the risk of taking them until I felt better). So, I have a feeling that sometimes for some women being pregnant just messes with your body. I have an appointment next week and I'm going to ask to have another pap, but I'm 90% sure it's BV again.

My hormones have been crazy though, so I know that's likely the cause. I've had perfect paps all my life until my pregnancy!

the antibiotics to treat your BV gave you a yeast infection?! Oh no!

Why can't it just go away and not come back?! :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->