Ughhhh. Job advice?

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
I had an interview today for a retail job that's going to pay me 12.00 an hour. They need someone immediately, which is perfect for me, since right now me and my fiance need two incomes so we can get out of his MIL's house and get more prepared for the baby and whatnot. Well, knowing that legally I didn't have to mention my pregnancy, I didn't mention it. What I was wearing, you could barely tell I was pregnant anyways, even though I'm due in early July. Well, here's my dilemma.

They asked if there was going to be anything schedule wise they would have to know about, I said no. I need this job, so what else was I going to tell them. The manager and assistant manager both want me hired on, so I'll know as soon as Monday if I have this job. From what the manager told me after my interview, I have it as long as my drug test is fine, which it will be.

I know that if I still want this job after our little girl comes, I'll have to tell them I'm pregnant after my job offer. But I have no idea how to tell them. I know they can't fire me for it, but I have no idea how to tell them in a way that won't piss them off. I'm only planning on needing about four weeks leave, but during the time of my leave will be their busy season (back to school sales). Any advice on what I should do? /:

Honesty is the best policy just be up front and say I'm gunna need this time off .

They can't fire you for being pregnant however in the first 3 months they can for anything else so be carefull. Some things are sneeky and try to get around it. I got fired from a legal office for missing a day for an appointment .

I think you just really started off on the wrong foot by telling them you had no commitments knowing you'd need several weeks for maternity leave. Clear it up asap, imo.

You should definitely let them know. Probably when they call with the official offer. Explain that you were nervous about it affecting your chances of getting hired and regret not saying something at the interview.

Stress that you're only expecting 4 weeks leave, even though it will be during a busy period for the store. And that you intend to continue working for them after the baby is born.

Hopefully, they'll take it well and hire you anyway. Good luck!.

This one is tricky. Most places require that you be employed there for a period of time before you qualify for maternity leave. There's federal, which requires a year of employment... and then there's state, which varies from state to state. To be honest, I don't know if you would legally qualify for maternity leave being that you'd only be working 2 months tops before needing to take a leave. Maybe talk to their human resources department and check the laws in your state. :flower:

At any rate, I'm sort of impressed that you can hide your baby this far in your pregnancy! :haha:

I would have done exactly what you did. I would wait to get the job offer in writing, then explain my situation once the offer is on the table.

It may seem sneaky to some but you have to do what is best for you. If you got the job while not pregnant and then decided to quit, you'd only have to give 2 weeks notice, so giving 7 or 8 weeks notice of a 1 month pregnancy leave seems very reasonable to me!

Could you say that you just found out in the few days before they officially offer you the job? It's a little bit sneaky but if someone told me that they'd just found out then I think I'd be more understanding than if they'd known for a while and had intentionally been dishonest.
That sounds like I'm being really harsh but I don't mean it to be!

Congrats on the pregnancy and the new job xx

Could you say that you just found out in the few days before they officially offer you the job? It's a little bit sneaky but if someone told me that they'd just found out then I think I'd be more understanding than if they'd known for a while and had intentionally been dishonest.
That sounds like I'm being really harsh but I don't mean it to be!

Congrats on the pregnancy and the new job xx

She's pretty far along. It'd be hard to believably pull off a "I just found out" excuse. That'd be fodder for an episode of "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant."

She's pretty far along. It'd be hard to believably pull off a "I just found out" excuse. That'd be fodder for an episode of "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant."

:dohh::dohh: My mistake! It's not like the pretty coloured ticker at the bottom of the post is enough of a give away! :dohh:

You should look for an online job, to be able to work ffrom home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->