uk: can you get a tranquilizer before a planned CS?

CheshirePanda

Reaction score
hi UK ladies

do you know if you can get a tranquiliser before having the epidural before your planned CS? Mine is 2 weeks tomorrow and i am getting hysterical just thinking about it. i have a midwife appt tomorrow am and want to raise this with them

Thanks

hi i asked my mw at last app abt getting something to calm me down before the c/s like a valium and she old me no because it would affect the baby :flower:

hi i asked my mw at last app abt getting something to calm me down before the c/s like a valium and she old me no because it would affect the baby :flower:

Yeah my doctor said the same thing as tranquillizers like valium and ativan are not really recommended at anytime during pregnancy although at times I was given them in the second trimester but I know they can sedate the baby in the last weeks of the third trimester and are not usually given. there may be a safer medication to calm you down that they would give you, you are best to ask :hugs:

Hi hon.

The epidural won't hurt because they'll spray your back with a cold, extra anesthetic before putting in it. Honestly, it's nothing.

As for the c-section itself, trust me, what you feel is really interesting but not painful at all. The hard part of a c-section is the post-birth cramping/pains from the incision, but you can ask for extra painkillers and it's nothing you can't handle really. The hard part, which is nothing you can't tolerate, lasts for about 24 hours, but you'll be a mother then, and already have your precious baby.

Honestly, don't worry. The actual cesarean has been a really interesting experience for me. Be excited, not nervous.:hugs:

I was a mess going in for mine. Couldn't stop crying and shaking. It took two male doctors and my mum to so much as get me in the room. Then they had to hold me down. It was honestly, nowhere near as bad as I thought. Sprayed my back to numb it, and the needle going in was just a pinch. Canula going in my hand was probably more painful, and that was only because they struggled to get a vein. The anaesthetist was brilliant, telling jokes to try and relax me, and one of the guys and my mum, kept talking to me to keep me relaxed. I was absolutely petrified, it was an odd sensation, you feel a little tugging, made me a little queasey, so they put anti sickness meds into my iv. I didn't even realise when they had started. It's nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be. (coming from someone that tried sneaking off the ward and had to be forced into theatre!!) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->