UK ladies - maternity wear

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
Where do you go? I am so frustrated at what I've found in the shops, went shopping today and yesterday and came back with one top and one pair of jeans (both from H&M). I've tried Next, New Look, Dorothy Perkins and M&S (which no longer seems to have maternity in the actual shops, only online). In my last pregnancy I got a few ok things from Peacocks, will have to try there as well. I don't *want* to spend a lot on stuff I'll only be in a few months but I'm getting to the point where I might consider more expensive shops. I know there's a lot of online retailers but I prefer to try clothes on (and can't be bothered with returning stuff).

Even basics like t shirts and vests just seem to look wrong. Maybe it's just me. :(

I used H&M a lot. Topshop and River Island do some nice stuff, although River Island might be a bit expensive if you're wanting to stick to a low budget... Not sure where abouts you are but if you're near a Debenhams department store, they've got some ok bits too :)

I find Evans is better than the fit of most maternity clothes.....but I am 39 so I may not be so up to date with certain fashions lol.........I cant walk in heels like I used too

sorry to crash the thread :) I got my maternity wear second hand. Dorothy perkins maternity jeans, 3 Dot Perkins t shirts, 3 lovely floaty maternity shirts and 2 dresses. Charity shops and Ebay are great if youre not bothered about new. Mine are a godsend and comfy and cheap as we wont be in them that long either :)
X

I have been looking too and the only one you haven't mentioned is Matalan. They do a very affordable maternity range.

I'm not over 35 but just saw this and thought I'd reply as I feel over 35 lots of the time (& hubby is)

Anyway - after trying on about 150000 pairs of uncomfy, badly fitting jeans last time I got my maternity jeasn from jojomamanbebe - they were more expensive than new look etc but under £40. They were the comfiest BY FAR and nice and plain - no silly faded patches etc Hoping they fit again this time.

if you shop online you can get some bargains at mamas and papas..alternatively debenhams have 25% off until tomorrow and mothercare have some offers on too.

I used H&M a lot. Topshop and River Island do some nice stuff, although River Island might be a bit expensive if you're wanting to stick to a low budget... Not sure where abouts you are but if you're near a Debenhams department store, they've got some ok bits too :)

thanks, I didn't know RI and Topshop did maternity! I'm in SE London and usually shop at Bluewater and Bromley. Didn't have time to try Debenhams today, but could try there again. :)

I find Evans is better than the fit of most maternity clothes.....but I am 39 so I may not be so up to date with certain fashions lol.........I cant walk in heels like I used too

Hmmm, never thought about Evans, I am a 10-12 pre-preg, and the sizing issue is bugging me - the stuff I got in H&M yesterday was size 16, or Large, I would get a 14 in Peacocks, but 12 in Next! Maybe I will try size 16 in Evans? thanks :flower:

sorry to crash the thread :) I got my maternity wear second hand. Dorothy perkins maternity jeans, 3 Dot Perkins t shirts, 3 lovely floaty maternity shirts and 2 dresses. Charity shops and Ebay are great if youre not bothered about new. Mine are a godsend and comfy and cheap as we wont be in them that long either :)
X

I'm not at all bothered anout new, in fact I'd love to buy a bundle of clothes from eBay - my only problem is sizing because of everywhere being so different, and that I'd want to try things on first. I don't really have time to go round charity shops for maternity clothes, much as I'd like to! :lol:

I have been looking too and the only one you haven't mentioned is Matalan. They do a very affordable maternity range.

oooh, thanks, completely forgot about Matalan, and there is one near me. I will try there. :D

also forgot to mention the dreaded Mothercare - tried some things on there and they were worse than awful, AND way overpriced. even on the offer they have on now - buy 2 items get the 3rd free - I couldn't make myself buy anything.

I'm not over 35 but just saw this and thought I'd reply as I feel over 35 lots of the time (& hubby is)

Anyway - after trying on about 150000 pairs of uncomfy, badly fitting jeans last time I got my maternity jeasn from jojomamanbebe - they were more expensive than new look etc but under £40. They were the comfiest BY FAR and nice and plain - no silly faded patches etc Hoping they fit again this time.

thanks Jo. :D I have never tried there, though I think there's a branch at Bluewater? do you know how accurate they are for sizing?

thanks Jo. :D I have never tried there, though I think there's a branch at Bluewater? do you know how accurate they are for sizing?

I bought a 12 which is what I am usually & they fit fine. They do free postage online too.

I noticed some nice maternity wear reduced in price on Debenhams website last night in their Summer Spectacular (ends tonight).

When I had Andrew, I bought two pairs of trousers (jeans & smart) and two tops (one longsleeve, one short) from Mothercare. The rest of my clothes I just bought really large, like cheap shirts from Asda George, tshirts etc.

asos has a good maternity range and offer free returns

I've got clothes from M&P which I wear for work. I looked in Mothercare but thought the clothes were overpriced, particularly as they look and feel cheap. I got a bag of stuff from H&M but most of it's going back because the sizing is all wrong. Littlewoods catalogue have a maternity range - i got some cargo pants and vests from there - and they also stock M&P.

Pip x

I've got lots of stuff from ebay - about 4 or 5 different bundles for about £15-20 each. Normally within each bundle there would be about 8-10 things and I've been really lucky as I've liked most of them. You have to be prepared to keep checking every few days though and make a guess from the photos whether they'd suit you - also always bid in the last minute or so to make sure you get the best bargain!!

The things I've liked the best from the bundles I've got on ebay have been from Next, Mamas and Papas, Blooming Marvellous and Dorothy Perkins. I also got a nice dress from matalan for about £12!! H&M mama is quite good too xx

If you have a big Asda near you, the George maternity section is pretty good for basics hon, and as it's really cheap, you can find comfy stuff you like and buy it in all the colours :)

I haven't tried M&P, but will do now :)

Next's maternity clothes are a bit drab plus they're sizes are a bit strange. Before being pregnant I found their stuff a bit on the small size, but their maternity stuff is opposite.

It's disappointing the like of Next and M&S don't stalk more maternity stuff in store - if there's ever a time you NEED and WANT to try stuff on - it's when pregnant :rofl: muppets that they are :)

thanks ladies. :) there isn't a *big* Asda near us (there is one that I've been to but have been disappointed by in the past so will steer clear) but I just looked up my nearest Mamas and Papas and found that, although it's in Orpington, which I thought was a long way, I can actually get a bus from near my flat to the shopping centre it's at, and it only takes 40 mins. I had no idea! so might take a trip out next week with Adam and investigate.

Otherwise, think it's going to have to mean some experimentation online. My husband is taking me to Matalan and Peacocks tomorrow (oh the glamour!), so we'll see.

Have you, or anyone else, tried the GAP maternity range? What's it like?
I haven't shopped for anything new yet, want to wait til after the 12 week scan, but I can hardly fit in my regular clothes now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->