uk ladies scan dates

MrsLemon

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

sorry for these questions im so new to all this

Its my first every pregnancy and i`m so scared, all the women in my family have suffered miscarriages :/

I`m planning on phoning the doctors tomorrow, will i even have to have an appointment with a dr?

how far along will i be for my first scan roughly?

Hi there,

When I was pregnant with my son I went to the GP the day after I found out. They checked my blood pressure, worked out my due date (though they couldn't as I'd been taking the pill back to back) and then gave me a couple of pamphlets and told me what not to eat. She also spoke to me about which hospital I wanted to give birth at and have my ante-natal care through. There are three in my local area and here you get to choose as long as you're in the catchment area. My GP then referred me to the hospital I chose and they were the ones who called me to book me in an appointment for booking in (done at 10 weeks here).

It was over very quickly and a bit of an anti-climax, but it did make it all feel a bit more real.

x

It depends if you have any complications like bleeding or pain. I had my first scan at 6weeks due to spotting where they checked the hb and measurements. Anytime before that you may not see anything other than the sack which probably wont do anything to calm your fears. I think you can also get a reassurance scan with the early preg unit. I have one tomorrow as I was referred by my midwife but generally I think its about 12 weeks for the scan in the uk. x

Thank you :)

Im having a few stomach twinges and im worrying myself i think im told they are completely normal x

Yes, stomach twinges/cramps are usually normal. It's your uterus stretching and your body getting used to pregnancy. I have a few aches and pains now too. As long as it's mild and not unbearable it should be fine. I totally understand your need to know if all is ok as I'm the same! I had a mc last year and I worry if things are normal x
Also I had my first app with a health visitor at 5 weeks and he just checked my bp and height ect. I only just saw my midwife at 9 weeks as I didn't want to jinx it haha x

Hi, I think it depends where you live. Up Here in the North East you don't even have to see your gp you can go straight to the midwives.

All our care here is led in the local sure start centres, the midwives round here like to book us in around 8 weeks. First scan is usually 12 weeks followed by an anomaly scan at 20 weeks. Usually you see your midwife once a month until last tri where it will increase to every 2 weeks then every week from about 36 weeks.

It differs depending on where you live and the guidelines of your local nhs trust. I have my booking appointment on Tuesdsy I will only be 7 weeks but I go early as I'm in a high risk group and get put straight under consultant led care.

Hi. Congratulations!! I didn't call my GP. Called my mw direct for a booking in appointment which I had at about 7 weeks. The mw then contacted the hospital who sent me a scan appointment through for 13+2. Your first scan should be between 10-13+6 as long as you have no complications.
At the point of calling my mw I also contacted the early pregnancy assessment unit at my local hospital. I have to have an early scan due to previous ectopic so I also booked this direct without contacting the GP.
It's a very scary time and if you are confused there is really no harm in seeing your GP. They can talk you through the process in your area and answer any questions you might have.
Also, pains and twinges are totally normal. It's your body expanding and making way for the life you are creating! Only today I got a sharp cramp type pain when I got out of the car too quickly! You'd think I'd have learned by now!

I agree with the other ladies it can vary where you are in the UK and your local PCT. I haven't had my booking appointment yet and I'm 9 weeks on Wednesday but so far there have been no signs of any problems so they aren't likely to see you before about 8 weeks round here (they lost my referral so that's why my booking in appointment is late).

Here you go to your GP who then refers you to the MWs at the hospital and you get a booking in appointment where they do all the weighing, measuring, taking family history, blood pressure and take both urine and blood samples to be tested. They also then give you the number to call to book your dating scan or nuchal scan (dating scan literally is just to date the pregnancy and check all is ok so far/how many babies, nuchal scan is the screening for Down's syndrome and other anomalies, you chose which of these you want). They are usually done around the 12 week mark. Then you go from there based on whether you are considered low risk or high risk (I am high risk due to previous c section less than a year ago as well as pre-eclampsia last time) and as a PP said if you are low risk you will be seen approx once a month til 3rd tri then more often. Plus the 20 week scan to check all organs etc are developing properly and if you are lucky to tell you the gender.

Hope that helps! My advice as it's your first pregnancy just go see your GP and they will tell you where to go from there Hun. Congratulations and h&h 9 months to you!

Thank you ladies for all the help and advice :) ill phone my gp and explain ive just found out im expecting and ask what they suggest i do :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->