UK ladies: What's "HV"?

Liesje

Reaction score
From what I gather it's some kind of helper? What's that all about? :)

(Across the pond here, just curious)

Oh that sounds handy, how often do they come out? And how long do they keep coming?

HV = health visitor.
They come out when you LO is young, some carry on home visits others don't. You can call them if your worried and they are at the clinic when you take your LO in to get weighed :)

I hate them though, (in my experience) they judge and they don't think all LO's are different, they go by the guidelines and anything that is slightly out is 'wrong'. Just my personal opinion of them though x

Health visitor, ours came out quite alot for first couple of months and after that we took him to see her at the clinic to be weighed and you can ring if your worried about anything

Health visitors are trained nurses - often ex-midwives - who are there to offer advice when needed and carry out periodic checks on your baby.

Some are nice, some are not. I'm lucky that both of the ladies at my clinic are absolutely wonderful :)

Here they only come out to your home once, when baby is about 10 days old. After that you have to get to their clinic for all your appointments :wacko:

Here they only come out to your home once, when baby is about 10 days old. After that you have to get to their clinic for all your appointments :wacko:

Same where I live in London. I think they are a waste of time but some people find them useful. Mine came to the house when Ari was about a week and then after that if I wanted to see one I had to take her to the clinic that I needed to get a bus to (as there isn't a clinic at my GP for HVs). So I never took her. I have never seen my HV since Ari was a week old. OP they do stuff like monitoring baby weight, seminars on weaning, some run BF clinics / cafes, some do vaccinations (but my DD vaccinations are done by the practice nurse at our GP surgery).

Not really a helper, more of a menace :rofl:

V xxx

My HV was lovely and really took the time to talk to me. So for some they are great for support and advice, others not so much lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->