UK question - SMP and tax

Padan1111

Reaction score
Hi Girls

Sorry, but I have a boring tax question for those UK ladies on SMP.

My company offer the standard 90% for 6 weeks and SMP for 33 weeks. I was wondering, for those ladies on the same, do you get taxed on your income during maternity leave? I'm so confused, and historically my company have been very bad at getting things right with regards to pay. So I wanted to have an idea about what to expect, so I can tell whether they are doing it right or not :S

Any advice would be appreciated!

I think you get taxed on any income, including maternity pay on the same paye basis.

Technically, this year you shouldn't as the allowance is £9440....£181 a week, adn as SMP is £136 odd then there should be no tax or NI payable if you are going to be earning under £9440 for that year.

When I went on smp last time because I had worked approx 5 months in that tax year and my tax due had been averaged out as per then I actually got £10-15 back pm while on smp :D

You do pay tax but as others have said you may be within the threshold. I have paid quite a bit but I went off in August so had already earned a fair amount in the tax year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->