Ulcerative Colitis

Armywife

Mummy to 2 beauties
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? If so how do you find managing it? Do you manage to work? What treatment has worked best? Thanks!

Hi there

I have this. I've had it since I was 20 (9 years ago) and the docs were never sure if it's Crohn's Disease or UC, but they've leaned towards UC in the past few years.

I'm on 6 tablets a day to keep my symptoms at bay. I had a flare-up last year and was put on 2 months of high-dose steroids. I'm in remission again now. In the past I've also had to use anal foam steroids (as horrid as they sound), but this was during a particularly nasty flare-up.

I've only once been signed off work for 2 weeks because of a nasty flare-up.

I'm not a parent yet though, so no advice on that front, although my Gastro told me that it was more harmful to a baby to leave my UC untreated during pregnancy than any harm that may be caused by medications. He said the drug I am on is really not bad and they will even put me on steroids if I get a flare-up during pregnancy. Again, because the actual UC is more harmful to the baby than any drugs to calm it down. He said as long as I'm in remission when I TTC then he's perfectly happy and there's no proven effect on fertility or any problems during pregnancy or with the babies of UC mothers.

I seem to get a bad flare-up every 2 years. I went 2 years without any drugs, but since it returned they've kept me on them permanently and my last flare-up unfortunately happened during treatment which did seem to concern them a lot and that's why they used steroids.

Despite the daily mild nausea and cramps, I do feel very lucky compared to some. I know there are others with UC who have it far worse than I do and have flare-ups much more often.

Any other questions please PM or reply here. I'm sorry if you wanted more info with regards to pregnancy and UC (I wasn't sure from your post).

Thank you very much for your in depth reply Silverbell. I am just going to pm you now xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->