Ultrasounds

Wishx

Reaction score
Hello ladies!
I had my 20 week scan a month ago and we're having a baby girl :) my doctor doesn't seem to be keeping tabs on me much and I'm hopefully getting my OB referral on Monday.
My question is, after your 20 week scan when was your next one? I'm currently 24 weeks and haven't been to my doctors in 6 weeks...

I should clarify my doctor doesn't have ultrasound equipment so he has to send me to a clinic. I haven't even heard the heart beat yet.

That's just fine. There's no reason to have another done until 35 weeks or so unless they needed a second look at something from the 20-week scan. Even at 35 weeks, it's only needed if they need to check the baby's position or check on her growth as long as you're not showing any problems. My OB wants me in every 4 weeks until third trimester, then every other week 36 weeks weeks when it becomes every single week, but I had to cancel my appointment and just rescheduled for next week, and I haven't been there in 9 weeks as it is! I tend to not go a lot unless I'm having a problem because I see no reason in spending so much time there for nothing.

Commonplace to not have another scan after your anomaly scan until they are checking for presentation (breech etc)
However I paid privately for a growth scan at around 30 week DD and I intend to do the same with this baby.

In Ireland we only get a dating scan somewhere between 12 to 20 weeks. Nothing after that unless there's concern for mother or baby.

I have kaiser and they only really scan you three times: confirm pregnancy (7-10 weeks), nt scan (12-13w), and anatomy scan (20w). After 20, if your pregnancy is healthy they just check on baby's growth using fundal height. At 36, if they feel the need to do a scan (usually only if they think baby might be breeched or hasn't grown properly) they will but usually don't. So while it stinks, it's just a sign all is going really well. I'm 32 weeks and still see my doctor ever 4 weeks (down from like 6 lol). We don't even switch to 2 week appointments until 36, 38, 40 at which point some other providers/countries meet weekly lol

I go in next Friday for my first scan since the anatomy one and will be just a day shy of 26 weeks at that point. They've requested I get growth scans every four weeks going forward as well. That could be get normal protocol or I could have worn her down with my constant asking when I'll get another one. :)

We only have 12 wks and 20wks scans. I booked a private one at 11wks and getting an extra scan at 33wks due to previous pregnancy low fluid at 40wks.

I'm pegged as high risk, so I get ultrasounds every ~6 weeks with the perinatologist. I have my next one on Monday, which is good because they couldn't get everything measured at the anatomy scan.

I'm hoping I get another soon. I'm worried that baby isn't a girl since it took a while to actually try and see. I'm a nervous person so it doesn't help :p either way I'll do a 3D around 30-35

It depends on what's typical for your practice and also your risk level if they are monitoring something specific (and if you're in the U.S., what your insurance will pay for/how much you can afford in co-pays). Here, 20 weeks is our last one unless we have a reason to have another. I had one at 36 weeks, but only because I had a low lying placenta and they wanted to make sure it had resolved itself before the birth.

I had my anatomy scan three weeks ago. From what I was told by the technician, I probably won't have any more because we're both on schedule and healthy. I'm still seeing my doctor (who also has to send me to another clinic for the ultrasounds) every four weeks or so. After my next visit, he said that they will be every two weeks and, finally, weekly at the very end.

It really depends. If you don't fall in the high risk category or are of "advanced maternal age" then your 20 week scan will probably be your last ultrasound from the doctor. I'm not sure why they don't issue another one in the third trimester to check growth since they typically also do a dating scan during your first trimester. I tend to have big babies so it would really help if they'd give me a scan around 35 weeks to let me have some idea of what I'm in for, but they don't. If I want one then I have to go to a private ultrasound and they don't do measurements, only pictures, which doesn't really help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->