• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Underwhelmed at initial GP appointment.

kazine

Meatballs for Two!
Reaction score
Seemed absolutely disinterested when I told him I was there, as if wondering why I had come in in the first place. Didn't give me any information without me prompting with stuff I knew (asking for folic acid which my last GP prescribed me when I got pregnant even though I didn't know what it was).

All he did was advise me to hold off on TTC until I'd had my medication stopped, didn't give any mentions of how necessary this was (i know some women are kept on medication for their safety).

Am I missing something?

Why were you there???

Also folic acid you usually just buy at the supermarket yourself.

I was under the impression a GP appointment was something you should do before TTC?

If your not sure your up to date on your vaccinations it's a good idea to get them checked but 99% of people don't thats prob why he was shocked, but since you say your on medications it's prob a good idea to find out if they are pregnancy safe as alot of drugs do cause birth defects.

Maybe it depends on the medications you are on already and what they are for as the reason he told you to hold off for awhile? They could be something that may not be ideal to take while TTC or if you get pregnant?

The medication isn't the thing I was concerned about really, it was more like I was expecting to be quizzed and checked up etc ?

You don't have to pass a quiz to have a baby :) if you did docs would be a lot less busy!

My doctor did a pap test and gave me regular blood tests and that was all. Made sure I was taking folic acid.
There's nothing else really. Is this a new doctor or one you've seen before, as in one who knows your medical history?

As long as you are up to date on your pap, there really isn't any need for an exam unless you have a specific question. You can just buy pre-natals at the drug store over the counter.

Depending on your age, if you try for a year without any luck then it's time to go in to get things checked out.

I'm 21. I've never had a pap. It was the first time I've seen that doctor :/ I've recently moved surgeries.

I would go ahead and get your yearly pap just to make sure everything is ok :)

LOL I did the same - went in for a "pre-conception checkup" since everyone was doing it. :dohh:

It was just part of my normal physical I suppose and I brought up babies at the end of the exam. He basically asked: do you smoke? No. Do you drink? I sometimes have wine on the weekends. (To which he replied, ok not a big deal). Do you do drugs? Nope.

Then he sort of smiled and looked at me like, so yeah.....

He just said you're healthy and good to go.

I asked him about vaccinations and he said if I don't have my records then he'd recommend that I have titers done to see which ones I'm missing. So he scheduled a blood test, tested me for all the crap that is recommended that I have.

I wanted to make sure I had all the series shots and anything in particular because there are certain vaccines you can't get within 4-6 weeks of trying to get pregnant.

I didn't bother with a pre-conception appointment, but it seems to be recommended a lot around here. I've actually been wondering if I should head in, but you guys have helped me decide on that, so thanks! I think the appointment is probably super helpful to people who haven't done research, or who are on medications or have conditions that will complicate things. Glad to hear you got the all clear though!

I would go ahead and get your yearly pap just to make sure everything is ok :)

You can't get pap tests until you're 25 here!

Sorry, I just read this post and saw this. Thats ridiculous!! I'm in Canada and hadn't got a pap till I got pregnant. My doctor told me I should have got it done as soon as I became sexually active. 25 is definitely not when I became active!!

I know its ridiculous. I'm in the UK. I certainly was sexually active before 25 too... I'm 21 and TTC :p

...I was 14. So that's 11 years between first having sex and getting my first test o_O.

Is there any other doctors you could see? If you're not happy with the one you have, maybe you should try to see another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"