Underwire bras during pregnancy - did/are you wearing one?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

The things you learn during pregnancy! I recently read that underwire bras should be avoided due to their potential to decrease circulation and impede milk production (clogged ducts, etc.) Anyone else read this, or had experience with it?

I have been wearing my underwire bras still, but mainly because my breasts haven't grown too much and they're still comfortable enough at this point. Not sure if I should switch once I gain a bit more weight...

What did you do during past pregnancies or what will you do during this one? Anyone had complications they would attribute to wearing an underwire bra? I am just starting to feel like I'm doing everything wrong! So many changes and restrictions that pop up every day, and some of them seem totally reasonable (i.e. certain food restrictions) but some seem a bit over the top. Not sure about this one.

I wore underwire bras through my whole pregnancy without an issue until I gave birth, then I wore nursing bras. I'll probably just do the same this time :flower:

Yep underwired bras all the way through-it was only at my nursing bra fitting at 38 weeks pregnant I got told that...but I fed my baby fine-more than fine-she's a healthy chunk :)

I never heard about that.
I am really uncomfortable with bras that don't have underwire, even though I am considered slightly "flat.
The only thing I changed was switching over to lightly lined bras instead of my usual push ups. I just feel smooshed!

I'm still wearing bras with underwire, hadn't heard about it clogging things but just that it may be more comfortable to have bras with no wiring especially if they are tender :shrug:

With my daughter I wore them until I gave birth, I can't not wear them they give me the support I need, and this time I'm going to continue to wear them as well, unless I feel I need to change to something more comfortable :flower:

Thanks! Ya, I hadn't given it a thought until I read about it...and then google gave me tons of resources saying to avoid them. I always wear underwire, except not at night, and couldn't imagine feeling very supported without it. I think I'll just keep going with them unless I become uncomfortable. It sounds like it didn't impede BFing for everyone who replied, so that's good!

I plan to keep wearing my under-wire until it becomes uncomfortable. I've grown a little bit in the chest, but not enough to buy new bras yet:haha:

I wore them my whole first pregnancy but am not this time because I'm still wearing nursing bras (and still nursing my son :)). I found I couldn't wear underwire while nursing, it's just too uncomfortable.

I wore underwire through my whole first pregnancy, nursed 13 months in an underwire bra and now in my second pregnancy still wearing underwire bras. I just like the support and shape better of them.
I think any bra that is ill fiting could cause problems for your breasts but I don't think a properly fitted underwire bra would cause any problems for you

I wore under wire throughout my first two, and I've been wearing one through this one.I can't go without it . My bb's are so sore and I needed to buy d cups cause they are so swollen, but I bought nursing bra's instead. Those just don't give me the support I need and believe it or not they are more comfortable than nursing bra's for sleeping in. My bb's are more sore this pregnancy than they have been in any other. They hurt worse than when they were engorged.

That was the old advice - to wear underwired.

It's changed in the last few years: wear anything you fancy basically provided it fits well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->