Uneven amounts??

bdcrossley

Reaction score
In the hospital I tried to breastfeed my son but he had trouble latching and sucking. So I was going to give up so we started formula. He is now a week old and I've been pumping but am currently on Vicodin so can not feed. After script is up going to bottle and breastfeed but through bottle, so I am pumping. But when I pump one breast gives out 2 oz while the other only does Mabye a half an oz? Is this normal and will it always be like this? And what can I do for the other breast to pump as much?

Also how often should I pump? Right now I'm just dumping but still how often is enough? Once I can feed it to him I plan on doing every other bottle.

I have been exclusively pumping for my son for 7 months due to letdown complications following breast surgery. I always get 30% more from one side than the other. My issue may be surgery related, but no two breasts are the same. It's not uncommon to get uneven amounts. One of the downsides of regular pumping is that you can end up with too much detailed info to worry about.

At the outset, pump as often as you can - every 3 or 4 hours at least. Once supply is established, many women can get large amounts with ~4 pumps per day.

Ok thank you! I was only pumping once Mabye twice since they got rock hard 2 days ago. Hopefully it will help :)

The more you pump the more you will get. I would suggest pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock and to continue pumping for 10-15 mins after you stop getting milk. This will help to increase your supply. I know several people who were sent home with vicodin while they were breastfeeding. You may want to talk with your doctor so you are not wasting precious breast milk.

I asked his doctor today and they said give it 24 hrs of not taking them for him to be able to feed on it

They sent me home with vicodin after I had my son and they all knew I was breastfeeding. It never messed with me or the babe. But sounds like you've asked your own dr already so just go with his/her advice. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->