Unexplained bleeding at 31 weeks - homebirth still possible?

noileena

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I was wondering if any of you had experience of a similar situation to my own, and had any ideas what is likely to happen with regards my plan for a homebirth.

I have planned for a homebirth since before I got pregnant. My midwife has been very supportive of this (with the usual caveats of all going well and there being enough staff available at the time!). Everything has been going swimmingly until last week...

I was away with work (hence no notes etc with me and at an unusual hospital) and woke up to a 200ml blood loss at 30+6. When I got to hospital I was having regular contractions and the test they did suggested I would give birth within 72 hours (although this can be skewed by the presence of blood). I was given steroids for baby’s lungs and a concoction of drugs to try and stop labour – something I wasn’t happy about but I preferred baby to stay inside for a bit longer so did what I was advised.

I had an ultrasound the next day and they couldn’t find where the bleeding had come from and suggested it may be from an irritable cervix or just ‘one of those things’.

I am going to see a consultant next week at my local hospital - I think this will be for a scan and to check that baby is still growing and my placenta is working as it should.

My midwife has said that I will need to ‘see what the consultant says’ as to whether I will be considered for homebirth.

Does anyone have a similar experience that went on to have a HB? Is there anything I can say/ should bear in mind when speaking with the consultant to ensure that I’m not forced to birth in a hospital, tied to a bed with a load of machines when my pregnancy has been low risk so far?

I Don't know the answer to your question but sorry you had a rough time and good luck at the hospital next week.

Hi,

I'm sorry this is rather late, but I was wondering what happened with you in terms of your homebirth. I am in a similar-ish situation - I've been spotting on and off since 16 weeks, and now at 25 weeks the hospital (where I've had to go to get anti-d shots...) have started to suggest that any further episodes will mean I cannot have the homebirth I long for. I have a vascular cervix / erosion and that is being blamed - baby is doing well, average growth, strong heart rate, moving about lots etc, the pregnancy is normal in every other way. My first child was born at home and it was a wonderful peaceful experience that hugely comforted my husband and me...I'm clinging to the hope that I can insist on a 2nd one! Any advice or experience would be absolutely invaluable..

Thanks so much in advance

Hello
Well, I had no more episodes of bleeding since the event. I had to go back twice for the hospital to look at me - they wanted to check his heartbeat etc and did say if there was any more bleeding they would advise against a HB, but I was adamant I was having one whatever they said....anyway, I had no more bleeding, and baby stayed in until 16 days past my due date, at which point I agreed to be induced - I was very, very nervous about having a hospital birth, and worried it would lead to a cascade of interventions....so I insisted on a tour of the wards I would potentially be on a few days before, made it explicitly clear I wanted my husband with me as much as possible...and in the end, I had a very supportive midwife who left me alone as much as possible, only offered aromatherapy and it was a very positive experience, much better than I thought. I insited on not being parted from my husband, and because there were no problems with baby, I left 6 hours after his birth (after his check) so we were still able to have our first night at home together as a family. in total, i was in hospital for 12 hours - a 3 and a half hour labour really helped!
The hospital experience doesn't have to be negative, but I do understand how you feel - I did feel so worried about the prospect of a hospital birth but the tour really helped, having a very clear birth plan for when I was in there and a mw who was on our wavelength was great.
I truely hope you get the birth you want - remember you don't HAVE to do anything they say, it's only their recommendation and they must back it up with evidence that staying at home would risk you or your baby xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->