Unhappy after physio....

victorial8

Mummy to Freya
Reaction score
I had my first physio appointment today after being off work for the past 6 weeks and waiting for this appointment due to SPD. She checked out all my joints and pulled me here there and everywhere.

At the end, all I got told was to start swimming a few times a week to strengthen the muscles. I didn't get any tips on how to help through the night with the pain and she seemed to dismiss the pain I have in my lower back just because I have had it before. Felt like I was fobbed off a bit.

I hate feeling like this and I'm actually terrified of going swimming as I am always in agony after doing something as simple as walking round the local shop.

Sorry for the rant...I think I had just hoped for more from today :(

Aw hun, sorry you haD such a bad experience with your physio, sounds like she was next to useless!

I also have weekly physio sessions for spd and PGP and my physio specifically told me to avoid swimming as although it may feel good during, it will aggravate it and make things hurt more afterwards!

I was basically told to limit the amount of walking I do and when I do walk make sure it's at a slower pace and smaller steps, no heavy lifting, no pushing a shopping trolley, no vacuuming, no slouching on the sofa, I'm to sit on a birthing/exercise ball as much as I can at home as it supports a good posture, keep your knees together when getting in and out on cars and getting up etc, sleep with a pillow between my knees and under my bump and take parcetamol when I feel I need it.

She also gave me an exercise to do at home, unless it gets too painful to do. I don't actually find the exercise helps me at all but the other things do make a difference. I have one hip which is misaligned and slips upwards which is what causes my pain, so at each session she spends 30 minutes just working the muscle back down. It hurts like hell for the next day or so but does then give me a couple of days relief until it flares up again!

Is there another physio you can ask to be referred to. If you were referred by your gp then I'd maybe speak with them and explain how you feel you were just dismissed and not helped at all.

Good luck!

X

For goodness sake don't do breast stroke legs will you!!! If you go swimming just kick your legs otherwise you can do yourself real damage! I had SPD last of and I'm getting twinges now! There is some info on ivillage.com take a look xx

I do feel like swimming may make things worse but as that is what she has told me to do I will give it a go. But definatly no breast stroke....never thought of that haha. I have my midwife a week on Monday and I will be back to the docs soon so I will mention how I feel about it and that will also give me a chance to start the swimming.

I'm sitting here in tears just now with the pain and I would t mind if I knew she had realigned my hips or something but all it was was basic movements. :(

Physios........huuummmppphh! Not worth the time. Saw one before i got preg, had been having problems with my knees. Like you was i had very high expectations and again like yours she was very dissmissive, seemed to make it up as she went along. Gave me a few exercises that were so silly it was a joke. They had no effect whatsoever thankfully my knees got better on their own. My advice is do what feels right for your body, you are the best expert. Get better soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->