unsuccessful tummy time :(

Librastar2828

Reaction score
My LO is 12weeks old and i try to encourage tummy time but every he's placed onto his tummy he just lays face down. Doesnt even try to turn his head to the side so would end up smothering himself if left long enough.

Iv tried proping him up with tummy toys even pillows which is a bit better the bigger the pillow but still he makes no effort into turning or lifting head. He does for a few moments if i lay on sofa with him on my chest but then screams after a few moments.

His head control is really strong, not fully there yet he's a bit like a nodding dog but its always been somewhat there from an early age

Anyone else's LO do this? IS it normal? how can i stop him for burying his head flat down into the pillows.

we use to put LO on her tummy with a pillow under her chest and arms so she couldn't smother herself when she put her head down IYKWIM. try using things for your LO to look at while doing tummy time.

my lo as never liked tummy time, from what ive read this is quite common . my lo would do exactly as you described even though he's always had very strong neck muscles. i'm sure he squashed is face into floor in protest lol. i stopped trying it as he would look at me as if i was being mean to him so i felt like i was being cruel. i can't see any harm in not doing this. my lo as been able to sit unaided since 4 months old and been able to stand with support since just before 5 months. i'm guessing my lo may skip the crawling stage and go straight into walking :) x

Just gotta keep trying. My DS was like that but all I done was kept giving him tummy time on the floor/sofa/bed on me, where ever he would do it in the end he love it and was able to hold his head up for longer periods of time

Ditto on the keep trying. Ours hated it, too. Still does on occasion. Especially when she's tired or hungry. It's got to be just the right moment for us!

My son still hates it. He'll lie there for a minute at the most before freaking out, bless him!

Thomas cannot stand tummy time. With or without something to prop him up. I don't do it with him anymore.

Avery hated tummy time when she was little. At her 4 month checkup, she refused to pick up her head at all when placed on her stomach. Suddenly at 4.5 months, she would pick up her head and chest. Rolled both ways at 5 months, got up on her knees at 6 months, crawled at 7 months and took her first steps just before she turned 10 months. Not all babies like tummy time when they are small.

It took forever for my ds to like tummy time... it really wasnt until he could move around more that he really started to like it. We used lots of fun toys for when he was on his tummy to try to help make it fun for him. But don't be discouraged... keep trying and in time you will get there =)

My LO hates tummy time. She screams until she throws up and then face plants into the vomit. Every. Single. Time.

It sucks.

She still managed to roll over and can prop herself up. She just gets frustrated fast and throws a fit.

I got my LO to love tummy time by putting the TV on and placing her down on her play mat from about 6 weeks old. She would watch 10 mins or so of Cbeebies on her tummy. Its just about distracting them and unknowingly they develop the right muscles so they can stay on their tummies for longer. Only took a few weeks before she was properly wriggling around on her tummy and holding her head up super high with straightened arms. Now she prefers being on her tummy and flips herself over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->