Unsure about Midwife

PatienceBaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had my first appointment with my midwife yesterday and I am just unsure about the whole thing and was looking to see anyone has any insight.

The first meeting went by with her talking about what they do and filled out some paperwork for blookwork. I asked one question and she went on and on answering it and then next thing I knew we were being kicked out since her next appointment was here.

I left feeling a bit blinsided, unsure of what to from there and what to expect and just simply left feeling in need of answers.

I know that if you go with a midwife that they are your primary caregiver but I do have an appointment scheduled with my family Doctor next week (scheduled way back before I even knew I was pregnant) and I am wondering if it would be ok for me to go to her and get a physical exam done - even though I have a midwife??

My midwife made no reference to if or when I will have one done by her and i don't want to wait another 4 weeks to even find out what is in store for me next visit.

I am worried though that she will be upset i went to my doctor as she is now my primary caregiver.

Should I wait the 4 weeks and see if she will give me a physical? if i wait i will miss my appointment with my doctor and then will have no choice but to leave it to the midwife.

This is all new to me as it is my first pregnancy and I just expected some compassion from the midwife and help ease our minds but she was kind of the opposite and didn't help with clarifying the process we will be taking.

Also just out of curiosity is a physical assessment the same as a physical exam?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!!! xo

I think if you are unsure then you should see your gp. Unfortunately the mw has left me with some questions after my booking in today and this will be my 3rd child.
You're gp knows a lot more than a mw so you could say that you wanted reassurance if she was to have said anything in the future x

Absolutely absolutely find a new midwife!! I would definitely see your other doctor as well, he may have a recommendation for you on a good midwife if you explain that you would like to use one.

If are you are not comfortable with your doctor, you will not trust them and that is incredibly important when pregnant and giving birth!

Onto the next! Maybe your old doctor could answer some of the questions the midwife didn't get to as well.

I would find a new midwife or OB/GYN. I am currently seeing the midwife that I've been going to for years for my annual exams, but I'm having second thoughts on sticking with her throughout my pregnancy. You have to go with your gut and find someone who takes the time to answer your questions and help you feel at ease. Good luck!

Yes definitely find a new mw. Even if it's your 1st pregnacy or your 5th. They should still make the time to go through everything and explain it all to you. Even after an hour of my bookin app I was still worried i'd forgot stuff but this is my first haha x

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I do think I will go ahead with my Doctor and decide how to approach things from there. I hear such great things about MW care but I personally didn't experience that so am kind of taken aback.

I will do what feels right for me and then I will judge if I will stay this route with my second visit. If it isn't any better then I will have to switch as many of you said - being comfortable with the person providing your care is key!

Thank you!!!

I am 20 weeks and I am just changing my midwife I have my first appointment with the new one tomorrow. I decided to change because I still haven't met my previous midwife!! At my booking appointment a health center member of staff, possibly a nurse but not sure, filled in my book and said my midwife would explain it all to me at my next appointment. 3 appointments later and she still hasn't been there and I have only met relief staff!!

I am a first timer and find it quite overwhelming, I had a hospital appointment yesterday and they said 'I am sure your midwife explained all this to you so we will just get started' I had to ask so many questions and still feel like I know very little. My new midwife is the only one at the small practice so I am hopeful it will be more personal and she wont be off sick all the time.

I thought all my midwife would be like the ones on One born every minute :haha:, not quite the reality with the over stretched NHS

Sorry big rant :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"