unusual 2 year old behaviour

Lara+sam+bump

Reaction score
Hi everyone ive never posted here but have lurked a bit as ive kinda thought something was a bit off with my son for a while, but as he gets older the issues get no better or worse, so anyway im a childminder and so have lots of contact with children of various different ages including LO's Noahs age and there are 4 areas which are a little troubling.
1. He refuses to feed himself at all as a 6 month old he would eat finger foods but now he will touch nothing, he hates getting food on his hands he will have a major meltdown if he does get some on there by accident and then will refuse to even let me spoon feed him. He will sometimes use his fork if you preload it and the food isnt runny, but will only do 3-4 mouthfuls max and this will be only once every 2 weeks or so. If any food drips down the fork and onto this hand asgain meltdown and then wont eat. He wont eat sandwiches or toast himself so you have to tear bitesize pieces off and post them into his mouth for him to eat. He wont do painting as he is afraid of getting paint on him, he will do playdo but hates mud or sand on his hands too.
2. He is very obsessive with things. I know all little boys are car/vechile mad. But if we go to toddler group he will latch onto a particular toy for example a toy car, which is what it usually is and then from there he will obsessively carry this toy around not nessasarily playing with it or anything else for that matter and its a nightmare getting it off him at the end of the session. He will also watch things repeatively, I know its normal for a child to like repeation. But he will watch a 5 minute peppa pig episode 12 times in a row, the same episode! and then scream when you say no more. He has a maisy mouse video in his bedroom and he has watched it 2 times a day everyday for 6 months and will not allow any other video to be put on.
3. The meltdowns, I know toddlers have paddys, but Noah will have paddys for such small and insucnificant issues such as he is playing trains an done of the carriages wheels has come off the track, major screaming, stamping feet and then flinging himself on the floor if the problem is not rectrified quickly enough. He is perfectly capable of fixing the train on the track again but wont do it himself as if he cant bring himself to, the same if something falls off the table, you say pick that up for mummy and he will say no, if you push the issue, meltdown happens. He cant play with or alongside other children as if the game or toy is not positioned in the exact way he wants even if he is not playing with that car, meltdown. At pop in and play last month, Noah was playing withna train on a little track, another little boy came over and picked up another train and pushed it along the tracks, Noah didnt want this and was saying no train no train, I said the little boy can play to he had a meltdown and I had to remove him from the situation, he then found that someone else was in one of the little tyke cars, the one he had been in earlier and he perceived as his and had a major meltdown, so in the end we had to leave me wrestling him out the door as all he wanted was t sit on the floor and scream.
4. He dislikes physical contact except on his own terms. He will give hugs and kisses, but if you give him a hug he will have a meltdown, go to hold his hand meltdown although he will usually hold your hand if you ask him to before going to hold it, but only mine and OH's hand no one elses. He wont sit on anyone but very close families laps or be carried by them, He screams when you brush his hair, its impossible to clean his teeth, at the doctors he has to be held down to look in his ears or listen to his heart, take his temp, look down his throat or check his glands.

So basically im just wondering if anyone had any insight or whether me and OH are just being nerotic. Thanks xxxxx

I think this is a difficult one... It really could be nothing, just normal toddler behaviour or it might be something more. Have you spoken with your GP about your concerns? Does your son have any issues with eye contact? Are you worried about ASD or ADHD?

its so hard to tell is there anything eles u can think of like did he reach all his milestones around the correct time does he have eye contact is he delayed in speach or any thing eles thing is toddles can get attached to toys and u said he would eat finger foods when he was a baby but not now might be something like OCD cos he doesnt like anything messey but it could be nothing to me my honest opinion it doesnt sound like anything serious but more info could help xxxx

Sounds like he has some sensory issues. That could be something that needs OT therapy. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->