'unusual' names

kerste

Reaction score
My OH and I have decided on 3 girls names we like which is all fine and good, but we're finding boys names more of a challenge.
Being a teacher, I would like a name that i'm not teaching at the moment so there's no association with anyone in particular (there's over 80 kids in the year group so that narrows our choices!). E.g. I like Luke but teach two of them at the moment so that's no go.:nope:
OH likes reasonably traditional, 'normal' names as he calls it, and thinks it would be an act of cruelty to name our child anything remotely unusual. I've mentioned a couple of names to him, like Rupert, Noah, and Theo, but he thinks they're way too unusual - even though the last two are in the top 100 names list at the moment.
My plan is to keep making mention of them so he doesn't think they are unusual any longer. It might just be working as Theo is growing on him! :happydance:
Has anyone else had this problem with OH thinking names are unusual - even if they're not really that unusual?

Yes!! I totally know where your coming from lol!!
I really liked Imani for our little girl but he said it was a 'made up name!'
I also liked Paris and India(gone off them slightly now) but he used to say
'we might aswell call her Liverpool!'

I absolutely love the names Theo and Noah :) and they are becoming more and more popular so theyre not really unusual! Keep on at him...Im sure you'll get your own way ;) x

I love India - I could totally imagine my hubby responding in a similar way though!
Theo is my favourite and I love the fact that i'e never taught one!:thumbup:

My OH claimed he had never heard of the name Freya even though I know several people with children called this!

I like more unusual names and if it had been totally up to me, our boys would be Oscar and Tobias, but DH is crap :p We have Brady and Jacob, and the intention of calling #3 either Noah or Hannah. They are all really common, normal names, but I still love them and they do suit them. They have pretty uncommon middle names and a surname (DH is Samoan heritage) so I can deal with that lol

i like Theo! my little boy is going to be Trystin. i really wanted Brighton but my DH thought it was too girly. even though i found it in the boy section of the baby name book :) i also like Avery and Emery!

i like Theo! my little boy is going to be Trystin. i really wanted Brighton but my DH thought it was too girly. even though i found it in the boy section of the baby name book :) i also like Avery and Emery!

If it's any consolation my friend goes to Brighton alot to visit the gay clubs, that's what I think of when I hear that ;) xx

What about Luka? I loved Luka too, but loved Luka! It's different than Luke, but not a 'weird' name!

we like Quinn, Jude, and Archer and Olivia, Sadie and Emilie for girls. I also really like Talitha (Talli).

I love the name Theo and Luka as someone suggested x

I really like Noah but we had the same problem. I love unusual names as I enjoy having a different name, DH on the other hand likes very traditional names.

For a boy, we always knew it would be Alexander. Not unusual but one we've both always liked before we even met so that was easy. Girls, it was a lot more difficult.

We originally chose Emilia but once we had our gender scan, DH changed his mind. He liked Claire, Jane, Sarah, Nicola etc. They just don't do anything for me I'm afraid and most of my friends have these names! I have 3 Sarahs and 2 Nicolas in my life already!

So I suggested Tia, Mia, Mya, Matilda, Sapphire, Saffron, Indiana, Savannah and got vetoed on all of them. He both liked Tabitha but it didn't feel right. I ended up coming up with Molly out of the blue, stuck in traffic on the way to work one day and we both agreed that that was her name. It just seemed to 'fit'. We did go through most of the girls names available and it was difficult, Veto started to sound good after a while.. Have you been on the National Statistics Office website? They have all of the names registered over the years on there.

My OH claimed he had never heard of the name Freya even though I know several people with children called this!

O, I really like the name Freya - and i've taught two of them so it can't be that rare! Men just don't get it! :wacko:

I really like Noah but we had the same problem. I love unusual names as I enjoy having a different name, DH on the other hand likes very traditional names.

For a boy, we always knew it would be Alexander. Not unusual but one we've both always liked before we even met so that was easy. Girls, it was a lot more difficult.

We originally chose Emilia but once we had our gender scan, DH changed his mind. He liked Claire, Jane, Sarah, Nicola etc. They just don't do anything for me I'm afraid and most of my friends have these names! I have 3 Sarahs and 2 Nicolas in my life already!

So I suggested Tia, Mia, Mya, Matilda, Sapphire, Saffron, Indiana, Savannah and got vetoed on all of them. He both liked Tabitha but it didn't feel right. I ended up coming up with Molly out of the blue, stuck in traffic on the way to work one day and we both agreed that that was her name. It just seemed to 'fit'. We did go through most of the girls names available and it was difficult, Veto started to sound good after a while.. Have you been on the National Statistics Office website? They have all of the names registered over the years on there.

You must have similar taste in girls names to me, I love loads of those - Tia, Mia, Sapphire, Saffron, Indiana - all fab. My husband also likes Mia, in fact he suggested it surprisingly, but I changed my mind when I found out it meant 'sorrow'. Also really like Sapphira as an alternative to Sapphire.

I know what you mean about Clare, Jane, Sarah, Nicola etc. They're definitely names of our generation.

makes me think of an aviary where they keep birds and emery=emery boards!

im quite a bloke when it comes to names, love Luke/Ryan/Sally/Evie

We named our LO Earl - It's normal, but not popular.

If he had been a girl he would have been Joy (oh yeah, we did go with the TV show lol) - again, normal but not popular.

I think it's really difficult, and I'm really funny as as soon as someone says 'Oh I like that name' I go off it. For the first 6 months of my pregnancy Earl was a Jacob until my Mum sais 'Oh that's nice, you can call him Jake for short'. I took an instant dislike to it for our LO. I still really like the name but I feel it can never be for our LO now....Strange but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->