UPDATE 20 week scan - measuring small and no heart measurements

Lollipopbop

Reaction score
I had my 20wk scan on Friday and I've been feeling worried about it ever since. I'm having twins and was told at my last scan that the 20 week one would last at least an hour. My appointment lasted half an hour, the guy doing it didn't say much whilst he was doing the ultrasound plus he said we were done then told me he forgot something and i had to lay down and get scanned again. I just didnt feel relaxed or confident in him. After lots of waiting he said that the babies were measuring a week behind and didnt really give me reasons why that could be, he mentioned a couple of times how it was 5oclock on a friday and i just felt like he was done and wanted to go. He also couldnt get measurements of the twins hearts which is worrying. He sent me to the maternity ward for a secondary opinion where i waited for ages just for them to not really understand why i was there and told me to book another scan. Ugh i just feel unsure and left in the dark? I have booked another scan for tomorrow and im hoping its not the same guy. Has anyone else measured behind at this point or had a similar experience??
X

No experience but OMG what an asshole of a guy! Get seen by someone else hun! Good luck to you sorry I'm not much help!
💜

This idiot needs to get a new job, what time it is on a Friday is no concern of yours... Have you thought of demanding a second scan, i would make a complaint about his conduct and say you have no faith in his readings or findings!

Thank you both. It was the worst experience I've had being pregnant so far. I have my scan this afternoon so hopefully it'll go well and the babies are fine. Fingers crossed it's a different person!

I had a repeat of 20 week scan because they couldn't get heart measurements or get a look at lo's face, it's quite common as they need very specific measurements and babies can get in very tricky positions, we were there for over an hour and with a break in between to allow baby to move before they decided it was best to rescan.

His behaviour was really unprofessional, I would make it clear that I would want a different sonographer for your next scan, hopefully you'll get a decent one.

Lollipopbop - at my 20 week scan with my ds they couldn't see all 4 chambers of the heart so sent me away to eat sweets and drink Coke (!) to make him move more so they could get a better view. Dh and I scared ourselves to death looking up "missing heart chamber" etc on google but everything turned out fine.

The sonographer sounds very unprofessional!

I'm guessing but could they be measuring a week behind because twins tend to be a bit smaller than singletons?

I had to have a repeat of the 20 week scan because one of the twins refused to turn over, they couldn't measure a lot of things, the other twin was also the wrong way round but turned after some juice and walking. As for twins measuring smaller, it wasn't my case, but I do know its quite common. I hope the new scan reassured you X

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for your comments :)

Little update - my scan on Tuesday was with a lady, she couldn't get the heart measurements because both babies were being awkward but I was booked in to see a consultant today who would do my 20wk scan completely from scratch and I'm so happy because it went so well, the twins cooperated and she got all her measurements and they are right on track for their age! The guy last week was obviously not great as he got his measurements way off and he had me stressing for nothing but oh well I'm just beaming because I have two healthy baby girls xx

Been quietly following. So glad to hear this! The heart measurements had to be redone after my 20 week also in my last pregnancy, apparently it's a tricky one to get!

that's great news ... congrats on two healthy little girls

Glad all is well! I remember you from our first pregnancies! Congratulations on the twins! :flower:

Glad to hear you got the measurements in the end.

I just had my 20 week scan and they couldn't get the spine measurement so I have to be rescanned in almost 2 weeks :nope:
I didn't even get the option of having a drink and walk around to change baby's position, they just gave up and told me to book another scan :nope: I was only in there 35 minutes :nope:

That's really good news -- congratulations!

I'd still consider putting in a complaint about the first sonographer, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->