Update - Referred to the ASD panel..Any advice?

Tommee

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope everyone is ok, I've not posted in a while been very busy though with my DS things have finally started moving, our journey started last July at DS 2 year assessment with our HV she started the ball rolling (although I knew he wasn't a 'typical' 2 year old so no major shock).

We've been on so many waiting lists I forgot what they were. Anyway we've finally been referred to the ASD panel (another waiting list) a very long list maybe 2 years wait I've been told.

DS starts a Speech & Language sessions next week.

I'm really pleased DS is getting the early intervention he needs :)

Any tips or advice from anyone who has been through this?

I still have bad days with myself..I'm ok whilst it's myself DH, DS & DD as I feel safe in our little world it hits home when I see a 'typical' 2 year old & look at DS & feel so sorry for him as he is missing out on so much. Also I'm fine until I read reports from 'the professionals' & read things like 'Autisum' 'Developmental Delays' 'Learning Difficulties' etc I do know all this BUT it's reading it seeing it in black & White hurts like hell.

DS has some amazing abilities though, he's very visual & remembers everything where everything belongs. If I show him a puzzle after looking at it he can do it straight away, also he uses he's initiative to carry out tasks. He's so loving & affectionate & has the most beautiful smile.

Just thought I'd update, thanks for reading xx

I think that sometimes we get so caught up in the labels given to our children that we forget to actually take a step back, and see them holistically. It *is* a scary thing to come to terms with, for me the worst part is probably thinking about my 14 year old's future self and how he will manage in the world. He has Aspergers and is reliant on me for many things. But from the negatives I take the postives, like you saying about your son being affectionate and having a good memory etc...my son is soooooo funny and he has a scathing wit :)

I think it's fantastic that you are getting the early intervention, we didn't get that as my son's issues were noticeable but not obvious, if you know what I mean? So you are in a great position and your child should thrive through laying the proper foundations.

I know it's difficult not to feel blame/guilt/fear all of the above but you must remember that our children are given to us because we *can* cope and we *can* help them to excel. It takes a very special type of person to raise a child with an ASC ;) I really hope everything goes ok for you all, keep hanging in there as it can be a very long process (took me 7 years all in all)

Hi hun, my son started early intervention at 2yrs 9mths. It is hard to get head around but I think you will get there in time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->