Upper Lip and Tongue Tie?

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
My LO is now FINALLY three months! As some of you may know from older threads, since I brought her home from the NICU, we haven't been successful in the nursing department. Tried a nipple shield, that worked for a little bit when she was tired, but that was it it seemed. Now, nothing works, so I'm still pumping and pumping.

I did however finally take a look and see she has an upper lip tie and a bit of a tongue tie. I've heard it can create issues with nursing and latching on, and that it can be removed. My question is, is it more than likely that after having the ties released that she should be able to nurse? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

I'm just trying to do everything I can, and find every option out there to be able to nurse my little one.

My LO had a tongue tie released when she was 3 weeks old. I was in such pain and she wasn't getting enough those first 3 weeks that I had to pump and supplement. After I got the tongue tie released I fed her right after they did it and for the first time nursing never hurt. She was able to get enough from me after it and nursing was great. I would definitely recommend getting it released as it made things a lot better.
Upper lip tie did not effect her nursing her upper lip just didn't curl like other LO's but we didn't have any problems because of it.

The tongue tie release was easy. The wrapped her up so she couldn't move her hands and legs (swaddled) They froze under her tongue, did the snip. Stopped the little bit of bleeding. Passed her to me and had me nurse her. Watching her get it done hurt me more then it did her. I had to for a few days run my finger across the release till it healed so it wouldn't re-attach.

My newborn had both sorted within a week of birth since nursing was so painful. His upper lip tie was quite low so it would have affected his teeth if left which was another motivation to get it sorted now. We had them dealt with a few days apart. The tongue tie was a quick snip which he barely flinched at. The upper lip tie was also very quick but he was a little more upset after (although he was fine after nursing). I also had to keep running my finger between the snip every few hours to maintain the cut - he hated getting that done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->