US babies - what's on their eyes after birth?

I agree there are so many natural ways to help with the eyes.

I definitely changed my ideas about docs since my son was born. I find the hospital scary.

I'm sorry, but if it's an STD such as a bacterial infection/viral infection/parasite, then it will show up on a test. It's called getting a Complete Blood Count and or a pap.
I'm a nursing student, so I know this for a fact. Also where I live they do test more than just during the first trimester just to make sure things are okay and if they need to address any issues before the baby is due to be born.
If you have an STD/STI they will treat you for it because if you go without treatment it will kill your baby and will kill you. That is also a fact.
I knew a girl who decided not to go to the doctor when she was pregnant. She had chlamydiae. She got it from her baby's father. She had to terminate her pregnancy because she was 5 months and bleeding because her baby had died due to the infection. She will never have children because it destroyed her reproductive organs.
You're a mother and you do what you feel is the best choice for your child.
But during pregnancy, here in the US, we test more than just once, for infections and such. Every doctor and place is different, but I thought testing during pregnancy is more straight across the board, however I guess I was wrong.
I had a friend who has a baby and she was single when she got pregnant. She chose to sleep around and got the same STD/STI 3 times during her pregnancy and she has a perfectly healthy little girl...

The eye ointment here is a pet peeve of mine, because it's a blanket thing they do to every baby and instead of having to 'consent' to it, you have to educate yourself and then sign a waiver declining it.

I'm sorry. . .ummm. . .my baby, ANY treatments should be done only when I consent, not simply because they are routine!

Every mama I know here in the U.S. didn't blink an eye when it came to the ointment. They take the baby, clean it, put in the ointment. . .nobody thinks anything of it. Some don't even know they do it until they get their baby back with goop all over their face.

We're declining it via waiver. Our MW's won't do it without consent, thank goodness, and if *God forbid* we end up in the hospital for some reason my husband will be watching the nurses like a hawk that they don't do it.

I've been tested, I don't have STD's, I refuse to have them 'blanket' treat our baby.

The eye ointment here is a pet peeve of mine, because it's a blanket thing they do to every baby and instead of having to 'consent' to it, you have to educate yourself and then sign a waiver declining it.

I'm sorry. . .ummm. . .my baby, ANY treatments should be done only when I consent, not simply because they are routine!

Every mama I know here in the U.S. didn't blink an eye when it came to the ointment. They take the baby, clean it, put in the ointment. . .nobody thinks anything of it. Some don't even know they do it until they get their baby back with goop all over their face.

We're declining it via waiver. Our MW's won't do it without consent, thank goodness, and if *God forbid* we end up in the hospital for some reason my husband will be watching the nurses like a hawk that they don't do it.

I've been tested, I don't have STD's, I refuse to have them 'blanket' treat our baby.

Good for you! :thumbup: I feel so sorry for women who don't have the confidence or courage to stand up and say no to medical professionals when all they're doing is treating every single baby the same way.

xx

I guess I had the complete opposite treatment in the hospital I gave birth in. They respected my decision to have a natural birth with no drugs and even encouraged me. They did not do anything without asking me first. I had a great experience. (I live in the US)

I'm sorry, but if it's an STD such as a bacterial infection/viral infection/parasite, then it will show up on a test. It's called getting a Complete Blood Count and or a pap.
I'm a nursing student, so I know this for a fact. Also where I live they do test more than just during the first trimester just to make sure things are okay and if they need to address any issues before the baby is due to be born.
If you have an STD/STI they will treat you for it because if you go without treatment it will kill your baby and will kill you. That is also a fact.
I knew a girl who decided not to go to the doctor when she was pregnant. She had chlamydiae. She got it from her baby's father. She had to terminate her pregnancy because she was 5 months and bleeding because her baby had died due to the infection. She will never have children because it destroyed her reproductive organs.
You're a mother and you do what you feel is the best choice for your child.
But during pregnancy, here in the US, we test more than just once, for infections and such. Every doctor and place is different, but I thought testing during pregnancy is more straight across the board, however I guess I was wrong.
I had a friend who has a baby and she was single when she got pregnant. She chose to sleep around and got the same STD/STI 3 times during her pregnancy and she has a perfectly healthy little girl...

Ummm....just so you know, the erythromycin ointment placed in infant's eyes is to treat/prevent blindness (and potential subsequent pneumonia) that can occur from an untreated gonorrhea or chlamydia infection. The baby won't die, although being untreated earlier in pregnancy can cause pre-term labor and delivery. In my state, erythromycin is actually a state law, but every parent has the right to refuse to ointment (I of course explain what it's for.)While you seem to have experinced bad outcomes first-hand, you need to remember that as a nurse you are a patient advocate. Everything they're teaching you in nursing school isn't always the right answer -- same thing with the medical community. Every patient has the right to refuse any medication.

What are the cons to having the ointment put.. my gut says to refuse it as I am also going to be refusing the hep vaccine given at birth but I want to have something to back it up with if the nurses are pressuring me :)

Thanks!

The only con would be complications from untreated gonorrhea or chlamydia. If you're positive that your partner hasn't been cheating on you (and you haven't been sleeping with anyone else) then refuse it. Of course, most people would say that their partner would never cheat on them before finding out that they have. Oh, well. The majority of pregnant woman don't have either of these STIs. And no one should pressure you! Make it clear you don't want it when you're admitted.

What are the cons to having the ointment put.. my gut says to refuse it as I am also going to be refusing the hep vaccine given at birth but I want to have something to back it up with if the nurses are pressuring me :)

Thanks!

I think one of the main cons to having it, is the effect it may have on your baby's recognition of your face and early bonding. Those first few moments, when you and your baby are alert and gazing into each other's eyes forms an imprint in you both and helps with bonding. If your baby can't see you, then that moment is lost. For those that do need it, due to STI infection, they could ask for a delay to allow for this bonding process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->