US gals - question about group B strep test and internals after 36 weeks

Gia7777

Reaction score
For those of you that have had the Group B Strep test done already, does your doc use a speculum like they do for annual exams or is it just a quick swab??

Also, for the internals after 36 weeks, is a speculum used as well or is it just gloved fingers going 'up there'- and does the doc actually have to look up there or does he/she just feel around? Silly questions, I know....

I'm a little nervous about this and was wondering what to expect.

I'm in Canada, but my doctor does use the speculum for internals and she also used a speculum to do the Strep B test.

The swab is just a little swipe in the vagina and bum hole. And the internal is basically shoving their whole hand up there to be able to measure your cervix.

The swab is just a little swipe in the vagina and bum hole. And the internal is basically shoving their whole hand up there to be able to measure your cervix.

Oh boo! I hate the speculum, wish mine didn't use them. :(

Well for my 36 week check up she used a speculum to take tests for other things.. took the speculum out and just poked the swab in my vag and bum for the group b..

and for the internals, sometimes they will look at your cervix with a speculum and then do an internal exam with their fingers.. but most of the time its just fingers

Now I'm starting to question it since it was 2 years ago... But I think my new doctor send you in the bathroom to do it yourself. At least there is an instruction pamphlet in thebathroom. Will find out for sure tomorrow! :haha:

Had my strep b done today... no speculum. She said she won't check for dilation till next week.

I had no speculum with the swab test with Megan. They just stuck it up in the vagina and then the bum quickly. Internals was just with fingers. I had a check at 30 weeks with this pregnancy as was contracting and it was the same. Internals didn't hurt me at all until labor and I'm wondering if that had something to do with the cervadil ( induced ) or if it's normal. As before then the internals didn't hurt.

I just had my 36 week appointment today and had both done! The strep test was just a long qtip and a quick swab (they didn't do it in my bum just vaginal) hardly felt anything. The internal exam she just used a glove on her fingers and felt around up there- not comfortable by any means but only lasted about 20-30 seconds.
Good luck! :)

Speculum for strep b, they didnt go in my bum. For internals they just use fingers while using their other hand to push on the belly ( i think thats what she was doing)

hmm my ob is a bit unique with his appts anyhow but I have weeklies starting this coming week ( had appts every 2 weeks since 16) and he mentioned doing a pap and another chlamydia check this coming week. Which to me is weird because I've been on pelvic rest ( no dtd) since week 16. Wonder when he will do the B strep test
and eeek bum swabbing lol

My doctor told me she wouldn't be using the speculum. I'm hoping she just stays out of my "business" altogether until I go into labor. I hate those exams.

I had my strep by yesterday and my OB just used a swab. She also checked to see if I was dilated and she just used a glove on her hand.

My doctor used a speculum at my 36 week appointment. But, that was for the chlamydia and other tests... the Group B step test was done after she took the speculum out. And, internal checks are done with just a gloved hand...

Just had mine done Tuesday, it was a quick swab with a large qtip. I haven't had an internal exam yet and won't unless they think things are progressing. I don't think ill even get checked until after 38 weeks :/

I just had both at my 36 wk appt on Tues

She used long q tips at both ends for strep b. Very quick.

I didn't want an internal because I think they're pointless until I'm overdue. Nevertheless, I got earbashed in to it. She used a glove and fingers and pushed against my cervix. Whaddya know, it was closed (I could have told her that without the need for a poke around!) anyway, it was a little more uncomfortable than a smear test, but not so bad that I'd call it painful. Don't worry, it's not so bad.

So I had my Strep B test yesterday. My OB swabbed outside of my rectum, so no internal there, but she used a freaking speculum for my vaginal swab. Lemme tell you, she is not a good speculum user. She was really kind of rough and she cranked the speculum open before she adjusted it to see. She told me I was likely to bleed afterward and spotting was normal, but if I had a period level bleed to call. Thanks.

Then she followed up with a manual exam to measure dilation. I'm pretty sure she was trying to fit her whole hand in there! She told me I was 1 cm. I'm sure I was after she jammed her finger in there! Oy vey... Starting to hope I go a little early just so she doesn't get to do that anymore. :grr:

BTW: I had to wipe 3-4 times yesterday before I put my pants back on after my exam because there was quite a bit of blood. I also think I may have lost a fair-sized chunk of my mucus plug last night complete with pink and red streaks... I've been losing little yellow pieces that regenerate since about 12 weeks though :shrug:

Ouch...my doc just does a quick swab, no speculum. I can't imagine how much a speculum would hurt right now. If I want him to check dilation for any reason he doesn't use a speculum, either. Can't see why you would need to!

For the group b my dr used s speculum and only took a swab from my V
I only gor internals from 37 weeks on and that's just a gloved hand. He doesn't look he put two fingers in there snd pushed down on my belly snd moved his fingers around. .at 37 weeks it kind of hurt bc my cervix was still rly high snd tight so he had to really reach. Once I started to dilate a bit and baby dropped it didn't hurt so bad

I never bled after any of my exams :/ sounds like a not so nice dr :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->