US Home Birthers?

PepsiChic

mummy of 2 boys!
Reaction score
for US mummies only please!

Where/how did you get financing for a home birth?
As im a immirant not a citizen im not entitled to medicaid etc and insurance works out more expensive then what we actually paid for our obgyn + hopsital fees for birth plus most of them dont cover a midwife/home birth.

Previous birth was 100% natural in hospital, we paid nothing in hospital fees because it was covered byt he hospitals own financial aid and the private obgyn for the prgenancy,labour and birth was $2000 (and completely worth it!)

W'ere tentivley looking at a possible home birth with our second but unless theres some kind of aid offered like the hopsital did (cannot be goverment aid) that it just cannot be an option!

Hi i am also in ur area and my midwife make payment arrangements for us. Its 1500$ plus gas fee at every prenatal appt i have appt with other ladies in my area to make gas cost lower so we split the one fee of 55$ not sure how far into MO u are but i know she comes that way. GL

Hi i am also in ur area and my midwife make payment arrangements for us. Its 1500$ plus gas fee at every prenatal appt i have appt with other ladies in my area to make gas cost lower so we split the one fee of 55$ not sure how far into MO u are but i know she comes that way. GL

Hi chick thakyou for the info, we're in jefferson county, just south of st louis. $1500 is quite a bit at every appointment, is that monthly?

our obgyn was $2000 total nd like is aid the hospital fees were paid for by aid.

does the $1500 include all the medical fees for the actual delivery?

I think she means $1500 base fee, made in payments, then an additional $55 for gas costs each appt... HTH :flower:

I think she means $1500 base fee, made in payments, then an additional $55 for gas costs each appt... HTH :flower:

that helps greatly thankyou. Im still a little confused about the delivery fees...are they included int he $1500 base charge or do they come after the delivery for any medical supplies (oxygen for baby or hep b shot or anything like that)

$1500 hundred is all prenatal+ delivery fee's then gas is extra she doesnt charge extra for oxygen, herbs she may use ect she has a million bags of things for delivery birth stool, herbs, o2 ect

Only extra was my birth kit $70 bc twins $55 singleton and i chose to purchase a pool. Any shots for baby is done with ur pediatrician also newborn screen

thanks chick! I'll have to have a look at my options closer to the time, but that seems really affordable!, how much was the pool? do you have to use special chemicals to sterilize it?

wat will you do with the pool afterwards?

most insurances wont cover it. I'm on medicaid and they'd cover a medicated hospital birth even a c section. But refuse to cover any part of a natural home birth or even a birthing center

I paid out of pocket for mine as insurance doesn't cover them here. You can talk to your MW and ask for a payment plan, most do that.

Yup we paid for ours by saving up money because we didn't have insurance. The total for our midwife was around $3000, but she let us make payments. I think if you found a decent midwife she would work with your on the price and payments.

thanks chick! I'll have to have a look at my options closer to the time, but that seems really affordable!, how much was the pool? do you have to use special chemicals to sterilize it?

found my pool at www.borninwater.com about $125 mw supplies herbs and cleans with meleluca. i bout a drinking hose for $15 @ hardware store and a $1 adapter for my kitchen sink

found my pool at www.borninwater.com about $125 mw supplies herbs and cleans with meleluca. i bout a drinking hose for $15 @ hardware store and a $1 adapter for my kitchen sink

thanks i'll check out tha list, but i mean what do you do with the pool afterwards? just sell it on?

good luck and lots of positive thoughts for you and your twins x

If you're looking into midwives depending on your location and the availability of them in your area, SOME midwifery centres do offer the option to "rent" the birthing pool; whether this ends up being cheaper than purchasing it? Hard to know... if you have a decent sized bathtub in your home that can work as well.

most insurances wont cover it. I'm on medicaid and they'd cover a medicated hospital birth even a c section. But refuse to cover any part of a natural home birth or even a birthing center

I wonder if this varies by state? West Virginia medicaid does in fact cover home birth.. it is the midwives they are paying.

Agreed with PP's, most midwives will let you make a payment plan. Ours also has the option to borrow a pool. For the standard of care you are getting (hands on and lots more one-on-one time with the midwives) it is such a great option!

bump- Thanks for making this thread Kirsty:thumbup:

We have Medicaid but decided to go with a midwife. She charges $4500. We're using part of our IRS refund to pay her and then have arranged a payment plan for the rest. We get part of it back if she doesn't make it to the birth.

I'm in California, there's one midwife I've heard of that takes Medicaid/Medi-Cal. Some others offer discounts to those on it. Some midwives are willing to work with you, as they know how that's a lot of money out of pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->