US ladies-position during childbirth and other fears in hospital birth process

I really can't see how you'd have a problem if you baby was born off-base either. I'm American and live in the UK. My husband is British. Our baby was born here in the UK. I registered his birth as normal here, got the usual birth certificate. Then, I had to go to the American Embassy in London to register him as an "American birth abroad," so he has another birth certificate for that. I also got his American passport then as well (he's a dual citizen, so he has two passports).

If you'd rather not birth in that hospital, I think it's worth ringing the American Embassy in Japan and seeing what the score is. Also, know that you don't "have" to do anything. Research what you're wondering about, inform yourself and make informed choices. If you don't want to remain immobile, have constant monitoring, have an epidural, have your labour augmented....don't. Even here in the UK, they wanted to give me Pitocin (Syntocinon here), and I told them to give my body a chance first. I never had to have it. It sounds like you need someone to stand up for you while you're in labour - have you thought about hiring a doula? x

I want to have the baby either at home or in an off-base hospital, which the base is saying it will be harder to the passport/birth certificate and so on.
I think I will go to the embassy, because this is not the first time they have tried to scare me into doing things because they don't want to work things a different way.
Also, since i am active duty right now, I think it may be easier to get answers after I'm not owned by the government from these people. (I'm separating very shortly)
I've been researching like mad about stuff and things of the like in the hospital, but it's NOT the same in military hospitals. Their stuff says one thing, but they DO a completely different thing.
There's only one doula in my entire location. :cry:
I am honestly thinking about having an unassisted birth at home and winging it, if my pregnancy ends up being completely uncomplicated.
I know for sure there is no law against women for that.

I believe the USA dont allow citizenship just by being born on their soil anymore. Its only given through birth right (a parent is that nationality) or nationalized (visa processes)

Nope, the 14th amendment is still intact, which gives citizenship to any person who is born on American soil - and that includes army bases abroad. :flower:

It becomes more complicated only when the child is born somewhere other than american soil, and one of the parents is not a citizen, particularly if the couple is not married.

It explains it pretty well on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_citizenship_in_the_United_States

I gave birth to my first in a hospital in US. I labored for 15 hours at home before going in. They said everything was going good, but they wanted to speed it up so they broke my waters and gave me Pitocin. I did have to stay in bed the whole time which made everything worse. I could only give birth on my back as they gave me no options. I had a homebirth with my second.

See, how do I fight situations like this??
it seems you would have been fine without intervention.
This type of hospital experience is what I am scared of.
:cry:

My son was born in germany when my husband was stationed there! I had him off-base and getting him an american birth certificate was no problem whatsoever. My husband could do the paperwork for a birth abroad with his unit so didnt even have to go to an embassy! Im not sure how long it took for the birth certificate to come in but his passport arrived after about 3 weeks!
good luck :)

if you do not feel that you will be listened to then make sure your other half knows your wishes before you get there but also that he understands to ask you.
it amazes me how much more persuasive my husband becomes and is there to purely stick up for me and make sure i get what i want if the mw does not want to listen.

i just read that you are thinking of an unassisted home birth and although dont quote me, i am sure that if you plan to have a baby without any medical assistance then you can be in trouble over here, so although i would not suggest it please dont post ot on here if it is going through your mind.

I don't know what the rules are, seems your situation is pretty complicated. One thing I want to offer is if you do choose to do a home birth, just make sure you know what your emergency options are. If for some reason it becomes an emergency or you cannot cope and have to go the hospital, prepare yourself with the rules and process before getting in that situation. (sounds like that's what your doing now).

I'd really hope that they wouldn't force you to do something that you weren't happy with. I know for me they did break my waters and did put me on the drip. They wanted to do both at once and I told them that I wanted a break to see if breaking my waters would work for a couple hours, then do the drip. They did what I asked, but breaking the waters did nothing and I went on the drip anyhow. I'm glad they didn't push me and I didn't give in and do it too soon. I wanted to see what my body would do naturally, however that was nothing!

With my first I was induced due to preeclampsia. I was given pitocin for the induction and penicillin for being group b strep positive. I was allowed to move around, though I was on the monitor most of the time. I could still freely use the rest room, and I spent most of my time laboring in the rocking chair in the room. Frankly I wanted to lay down for the pushing part, so I don’t know about what they would or wouldn’t allow.

With my second, I only got to the hospital 20 minutes before she was born (labored mostly at home due to bad advice from my OB about when to go in), so again, I don’t really know what was or wasn’t allowed there either. After they checked me and found I was at 6 cm, they moved me to the delivery room. There they put on the monitors to make sure the baby was ok, and for a minute or two it was, then all of a sudden they lost her heart beat. They had me lay on my side as they tried to get a monitor on her head, but at that point, I needed to push really bad. One push on my side and her head was out. Another push and she was delivered. It was much easier physically than my son's delivery, but much scarier as there were a few minutes where I didn't know if she even had a heartbeat. My OB’s only got demanding about me doing something when there was an issue with the baby (had to lay on my side a couple of times while in labor with my son due to heart rate dips as well, and had to breath oxygen for a bit during his delivery).

Hopefully you will have good luck with laboring how you want. I prefer to be in the hospital in case something goes wrong. Obviously I had to with my son due to the preeclampsia, but it was nice that they were there to take care of him when he was born as he needed some NICU time due to breathing troubles from swollowing meconium. Granted that could have been from the induction, but even still, non induced babies swollow meconium sometimes, too. Having done most of the laboring for my daughter at home, I definatly liked doing it that way, but only leaving home 30 minutes before delivery was perhaps cutting it a bit too close. I really prefer having the saftey net that you get in a hospital for a birth. There are more people and equipment ready to respond just in case. Oh ja, and with my daughter, my water broke less than 10 minutes before delivery, so we wouldn't have made it to the hospital if I had waited for that. :p Good luck, and I hope all works out.

Have a look here https://japan.usembassy.gov/ and look for registering an American birth abroad. When my little one was about four or five months old, we made an appointment at the American Embassy in London (I'm American, my husband is British), and we got his birth certificate for an American birth abroad and a temporary passport on the day. Before the temporary passport expired (done because we had a trip coming up soon), we sent off for his full passport, which didn't take very long at all.

the sister of the labour ward was in with me when i had my daughter and advised me that the best and most comfortable position & the position which is less likely to cause tearing is on ur side , this is how i delivered eabha lily & i received no episiotomy i just needed one outer stitch for a slight graze which was no problem at all , good luck !

The most comfortable position is the one that *you* are most comfortable in. ;)

yeah thats true , but with a 70% less chance of tearing i was all for it lol & it is very comfortable ;)

yeah thats true , but with a 70% less chance of tearing i was all for it lol & it is very comfortable ;)

I'm genuinely curious where she got that statistic. I was soooo not comfortable on my side or back. Upright and bouncing on my ball was when I felt the best. I hope to deliver in a pool or on a birthing stool next time. Gravity's a great thing.

Is there a chance you can ask around and talk to women who have given birth there? There must be some who chose to have less intervention, and you could get a sense from them how hard it was (or not) to get their wishes across. Knowing going in that it can be done might calm your nerves...

I had my baby in a hospital and I chose no pain relief and very little intervention. They let me walk around as long as I wanted to and be in any position I wanted to. I couldn't stand being on my back or my side while having contractions. They respected that. I ended up holding myself up off the bed the whole time. I chose to push with my legs in the stirrups as it was comfortable for me while I was pushing. I had all stomach labor and it relived some pain with my legs being supported. I only pushed for 14 minutes. The doctor respected my wishes regarding vaccines and everything that they did with me. I felt empowered and respected. I think it is important to make your concerns known from the beginning to ensure the best outcome. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->