US ladies - what to expect at the first appointment?

hopeful2797

Reaction score
I have been pregnant before, but didn't find out until I was 13 weeks so it was all a bit rushed.

What should I expect at my first appointment next week? The nurse on the phone said something about labs, but I wasn't sure if they also did some sort of ultrasound to find out exactly how far along I am?

Thanks!

Generally, they do a pap smear and also check your cervix and take swabs to check for other infections (things like STD's and bacterial vaginosis). They also do a breast exam, kind of normal annual type stuff.

They order first trimester labs which covers a big range of different things. Usually they discuss what to expect throughout your pregnancy and specific things they need you to do (for example, I'm required to fax information to the hospital I'll be giving birth at before 20 weeks). They usually cover any testing that'll be done in the second trimester.

I've had two different experiences with ultrasounds. My first pregnancy they did a dating scan although I knew my dates 100%. I moved across the country and the office I'm at now doesn't typically do dating ultrasounds unless you're unsure of your dates.

My first appt was when I was 8 weeks. They did a pap smear, vaginal ultrasound, and took a bunch of blood. Plus asked me a million questions. Hubby and I were trying so I knew how far along I was, but they did measure baby.

Sorry for being clueless, but how did they measure the baby? The vaginal ultrasound?

Every doctors office is different. Some do early ultrasounds at 8 weeks and other wait till 12 weeks.
But for sure you should have labs that test to STI's, HIV, probably blood type maybe and blood count etc. Then they will want a pap smear, feel around your breast for lumps and talk about family history, past pregnancy history etc.

They measured the baby on the ultrasound screen from crown to rump. They did it a few times to compare results. Its approximate.

You're not clueless btw. Every doctors office is different and they throw so much stuff at you the first time. I suggest writing down any questions you may have when you go in for your appointments so you don't forget. This is my first baby and I'm just trying to keep up. It's all so exciting, right after seeing the baby on the monitor I forgot everything that we talked about before that moment :) Good Luck :)

My doctor did a scan first - i was 8 weeks. I would have had to have a pap, but I'd recently had one so the doctor didn't feel it was necessary. They took a urine sample and blood for testing. She asked if I had any questions, and explained some Do's and don'ts of pregnancy.

Like the others stated - There's quite a few differences, and it's really depends on YOU what kind of approach you want. A friend of mine is the type that has to know every single thing. I'm the type that's "let's check the baby and see if she/he's okay" and that's it kind of person. I don't like to be asked so many questions, and if I do have a general question about pregnancy, I just come to BnB and ask. :winkwink:

The first day of my appointment after finding out that I was pregnant was when I was 7 weeks. Prior to exam, I had urine test done to make sure nothing unusual showing up (infection, kidney functions, etc). OB/GYN did Vaginal ultrasound (the baby is super small at that time, so a belly ultrasound will not make sense until after week 10). He checked the size of the "blob", listened the heartbeat, took a vaginal swab for any bacterial growth and spent about 20-30 minutes or so going over my expectations of him in the delivery room as he'll do whatever I want him to do. After this, I had blood tests done to make sure everything's okay.

Keep a notebook by you in case if you have questions, and if it's a general question, you probably can ask here and get the answers. If it's specifically to your needs, it'll keep keep records.

My 11 weeks scan took less than 5 minutes. It was a sonogram tech that did it. She checked the size the heartbeat and asked me if I have any bleeding or any questions. Nope and nope. And sent me out the door. I HATE waiting long, I hate being examined long. I had to fire my past GYN because she was chit chatting while she was doing pap smear. Get in, get your sample, touch my boobs and get out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->