Used DEET-based insect repellent, found out pregnant, now WORRIED

littlesmile

Reaction score
Hello ladies! I'm a newly expectant mum getting freaked out that I've used DEET-based (30%) insect repellent during the first few weeks of my pregnancy when I didn't know that I was pregnant. I used good amounts of it all over my legs (really sprayed myself down) during a hot summer day (a friend offered it when I was getting bitten all over, and I momentarily didn't think!)... Just 2-3 days later, it was confirmed that I'm pregnant(!). SO HAPPY and grateful for the pregnancy (have been trying for a long time and am approaching 40), but now, I'm really concerned about the use of the insect repellent during the first trimester, when the baby is supposed to be developing its neurological system. It seems that there has been NO study done looking at the potential effects of DEET-based repellents during the FIRST trimester of pregnancy (there's only the one study done for women in their second and third trimesters). Now, I'm looking for some HOPEFUL stories that show that few incidences of the use of DEET-based repellents did NOT affect babies.... Any such stories would be so much appreciated... I now know that most expectant mothers should AVOID this toxic chemical (and I'm staying far away from it from now on!), but what if you've ALREADY used it? Anybody also make the same mistake and discover that their babies were fine? Thanks for any insight!!

If it used as directed then there won't be harm. Think about it this way, use a product where there isn't much one way or the other... or get West Nile or Lyme disease which will do a great deal of harm. That's how I consider use of different products.

Don't worry too much about it. In the very beginning the little bean sits in its own sac of food. After a few weeks it really starts hooking up to your body when placenta etc develops. Then you share everything. Good luck and congratulations!

If you used it 2-3 days before confirming pregnancy, and assuming you found out early that you're pregnant, it's likely the baby had just attached to your uterus, and therefore had minimal exposure. I honestly wouldn't worry at all.

Hello ladies! I'm a newly expectant mum getting freaked out that I've used DEET-based (30%) insect repellent during the first few weeks of my pregnancy when I didn't know that I was pregnant. I used good amounts of it all over my legs (really sprayed myself down) during a hot summer day (a friend offered it when I was getting bitten all over, and I momentarily didn't think!)... Just 2-3 days later, it was confirmed that I'm pregnant(!). SO HAPPY and grateful for the pregnancy (have been trying for a long time and am approaching 40), but now, I'm really concerned about the use of the insect repellent during the first trimester, when the baby is supposed to be developing its neurological system. It seems that there has been NO study done looking at the potential effects of DEET-based repellents during the FIRST trimester of pregnancy (there's only the one study done for women in their second and third trimesters). Now, I'm looking for some HOPEFUL stories that show that few incidences of the use of DEET-based repellents did NOT affect babies.... Any such stories would be so much appreciated... I now know that most expectant mothers should AVOID this toxic chemical (and I'm staying far away from it from now on!), but what if you've ALREADY used it? Anybody also make the same mistake and discover that their babies were fine? Thanks for any insight!!

Hi! The same thing happened to me! I read everywhere it is marked as “safe” and recommended by doctors, but wanted to know if anyone really used it? Is it really safe? I recently found out I’m pregnant with my 1st baby. Last week at 5wks & 2days I was in a place with a lot of mosquitos and freaked out and went to the drugstore, did some google research while there, and by the first info that came up I proceed to buy OFF FAMILY CARE w/ 7% of DEET and applied it on myself. After that spent 1 hour outdoors and then like 4 more hour locked in a car before getting home and washing it all off. I’ve been freaked out, I don’t want to harm my baby. Did everything worked out with you? Is your baby healthy and well?

You’ll be fine. DEET is considered safe during pregnancy, especially so if you live in an area with mosquito born diseases like Zika, which will harm your baby.

you're definitely fine. just dont drink the stuff and stop using it! :)

I've used DEET in both my previous pregnancies - I get bitten a lot - midges not misquitos - my children are 7 and 6 and both absolutely fine. I was in Majorca a few weeks ago and used it then too - my current pregnancy is only 14 weeks along but of all the things I'm worried about DEET usage is not one of them!

I would think that mosquito born illnesses would be far worse than using DEET. I personally would only use a small amount if you are going to be outside for long periods of time just to make sure. I'm sure you'll be fine. I would rather use DEET than getting Zika, West Nile or some other infection that could harm your baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->