Used item for nearly as much as retail rant!!

N

nolansmom

So I've been looking on various buy/sell sites for the few items I do want for baby and am amazed at how much people are selling their "like new" items that were purchased a year or two ago.

It's AMAZING!!!!!

I can see why someone who paid $800 for a stroller 2 years ago would think that a $300 reduction would make it a "good deal" for someone looking to buy but seriously!!! Seriously!! You've used the item, your baby has likely peed and spit up and drooled all over the place - and now you want to recoup 60% of what you paid for it? So really your expensive stroller use has cost you only $300 rather than the initial $800 you paid for it?

This isn't my first rodeo and while I didn't buy many or expensive items with Ds I refuse to get sucked in to the overspending that many people do.. Well really I don't care about the overspending if you can afford it go for it - It's that the item is useless once outgrown and likely sits in a garage collecting dust unless you sell.

Anyway,, I just feel like if you're trying to get rid of an Item then why not make it super lucrative to buyer.. I'd sell an $800 stroller for $300 after 2 years of use any day.. Diamonds and cars don't keep their value so why should a used baby item.

Off to munch on something, I digress.
:)

totally off topic, but do diamonds not keep their value???!

I've been very lucky that friends have baby stuff they are giving us that is barely used. I have notice the same thing though.

totally off topic, but do diamonds not keep their value???!

The stone itself if purchased at it's actual value would.. But for those of us not in the diamond business or buying wholesale there is a 100-400% markup so in order to resell we'd have to resell to someone "like us" who is used to paying retail for diamonds. To take that same diamond to a wholesaler and expect close to what we paid wouldn't work..

It's worth doesn't depreciate exactly - but our ability to sell for what we overpaid does..

Hope that makes sense.. :)

Stupid ain't it lol i bought a brand new Doppler for £19.99 yet the lady i was going to get a USED one off wanted £15 for the same item i mean come on seriously??

My bargain buy last year was 2 baby swings £200 retail value for both and i got them for £50...i agree with that as i suppose a year of use to the lady was worth the £150 drop. She said the same thing btw (its been drooled and puked on)

Stupid ain't it lol i bought a brand new Doppler for £19.99 yet the lady i was going to get a USED one off wanted £15 for the same item i mean come on seriously??

My bargain buy last year was 2 baby swings £200 retail value for both and i got them for £50...i agree with that as i suppose a year of use to the lady was worth the £150 drop. She said the same thing btw (its been drooled and puked on)

Ahhh and they also don't EVER factor in a sale price in their quoting of "retails for xxxx"..

So If I wait for a huge blowout sale I can get stroller for $600 brand new yet I should pay you $500 for your used one because you paid $800 - Right!!!! I'll get right on that.. :)

AHAHAHA -- people amaze me, really they do..

Lady and doppler is crazy - she should have sold it for $5-$10 max.. Yeah the swings are a great deal - $25 each is about right. I swear you could find some who would say "I paid $200 for both but I'll take $180"... :)

Hilarious!!

to be fair, I'd not even dare try and re-sell our jumperoo it's been spat up on so many times!

I totally notice this! I also notice people selling items many people probably won't want, yet setting the price high-I keep thinking, okay well no one wants it that bad, so good luck selling!

no kidding...at $300 you might as well by a new one of the shelf. Maybe not as fancy as the $800 but just as reliable!

I've noticed this too! been doing a lot of shopping on ebay and people trying to sell second hand clothes for quite a lot of money . It's driving me nuts! x

:haha: I paid over 700 for mine 12 months ago, it is sparkling although you can see the wheels have some wear and I can't sell the bloomin thing for 250-300. Either get a ridiculous offer of £70 or someone that wants the shoulder pads and the raincover from it! I mean really, how will I have any hope of selling the buggy if I sell those separately for a fiver? :dohh: £70 doesn't go very far towards a double so for now I'm just not selling it :shrug:

So I've been looking on various buy/sell sites for the few items I do want for baby and am amazed at how much people are selling their "like new" items that were purchased a year or two ago.

It's AMAZING!!!!!

I can see why someone who paid $800 for a stroller 2 years ago would think that a $300 reduction would make it a "good deal" for someone looking to buy but seriously!!! Seriously!! You've used the item, your baby has likely peed and spit up and drooled all over the place - and now you want to recoup 60% of what you paid for it? So really your expensive stroller use has cost you only $300 rather than the initial $800 you paid for it?

This isn't my first rodeo and while I didn't buy many or expensive items with Ds I refuse to get sucked in to the overspending that many people do.. Well really I don't care about the overspending if you can afford it go for it - It's that the item is useless once outgrown and likely sits in a garage collecting dust unless you sell.

Anyway,, I just feel like if you're trying to get rid of an Item then why not make it super lucrative to buyer.. I'd sell an $800 stroller for $300 after 2 years of use any day.. Diamonds and cars don't keep their value so why should a used baby item.

Off to munch on something, I digress.
:)

This, this right here really anoys me it should cost ALLOT less I seriously don't get why they do that.

Totally! I was shopping at a second hand baby store the other day and they wanted MORE for used baby clothes then I could go and buy them at Target. Seriously?
Another one was a stroller with a car seat that expired in a year (car seats are good for 6 years where I live) and she wanted $95 when I could go buy a new one for $140.

I give all of my stuff away for free when I no longer need it! I just see it as I paid the price to use it, I used it for as long as I could, and so I don't see a reason to sell them. Sure they are worth something to someone else, but I just don't expect to get profit off something I bought and used for myself/child! Maybe things of value such as a gaming station or something similar might go for sale for a few dollars by my OH but other than that I just don't get the point!

That said I don't expect people to just give their used stuff away for free, this is just the way I feel when giving away my stuff!

I have done that in the past.but why not?i put it on there and didn't force anyone to buy it but they did.i sold my cradle I had for ds for the same price I bought it (which was half price on sale) and someone snapped it up straight away.of course I'm going to try and get as much back as possible.i always look at what other people are selling the same stuff for and go around that.i wouldn't bother selling anything I was going to get under $50 for and just give those things away.like my good highchair,playmat and all clothes I gave away

Some things I can understand. Say you bought a popular stroller, original price was 400 and they want to see it for 150 or 200, in reality, you can go back and practically sell it for the same price you bought it used. Now ridiculous things like toys being sold for 5 bucks cheaper is crazy!

And I think half off any item, if that's the item you must have is a steal :) great thing about buying used is you can very well get most of your money back on it.

So annoying! Especially when people are like "I'm moving and I absolutely must get rid of this by next Wednesday!" or whatever. That's not how things work...you don't get to buy an expensive item, use it, and sell it for a quick turnaround for 70% of what you paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->