Used TENS machine on leg. Super worried :(

Dibbles

Reaction score
Hello there,

Hope everyone is doing well :)

I had a nasty fall on the stairs the other day and now have blue and purple bruises from my thigh to my ankle to show for it >.<

I decided to use my TENS machine to see if I could get the bruise to heal quicker..

I had it on low-ish intensity for about an hour on various areas of my leg.

I then decided to check online since there was something about not using a TENS machine in pregnancy...

Well I am now worried sick that the electric signals have done damage to my bean :((( I haven't found anything online that would really convince me either way.

Has anyone ever been told by a professional that it was ok to use a TENS machine in the first trimester?

Thank you

If you are really worried it'd be best to call your doctor or midwife :) I'm sure they'll be able to help you x

I use on all the time on my back. My midwife said it is perfectly fine and the majority of research I did about it also said it was just fine. My advice is to use it if it helps you, unless it's on your belly, head, or chest.

Thank you everyone for your replies

Thank you MsB72, that really has put my mind at rest!

I didn't call my OB because for one she's away, I do have her mobile number though, and the other thing is that I have still to meet a Dr here who knows anythings about tens machines. An older English midwife suggested it to me 6 years ago for labor and my Dr sort of shrugged and said ok if that's what you want.. so I expect she would have said something like well ok I'm sure you and bean will be ok just please don't do it again.. which isn't very comforting!

Thanks again MsB72!

They recommend using TENS machines in the early stages of labour - so I'm sure you're fine.

They recommend not using it in second tri because it can in rare cases cause pre term labour, I imagine as it was on your leg, low setting and you're early is not likely to do any harm at all. I don't think they can harm the development so if nothing happened yet its highly unlikely to now.

Before I found out I was pregnant, I was using a TENS machine on my pelvis and back. I did tell my midwife when I first saw her as it was quite worrying for me but they didn't seem concerned.

x

Thank you everone for your replies

Thank you Tink that is a relief

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh