UTI at 40+4 weeks...would it affect labour?

Iren_iren

Reaction score
Just got a call from my doctor saying i have UTI (done tests at the end of last week) and she will prescribe me 3 days course of antibiotics.
Today i am finishing course of antibiotics for sinuses and start new tomorrow..

Do i need to be conserned? What happens if i go into labour tomorrow or while i am still taking antibiotics. Would UTI make any impact during labour?

UTIs can bring on labour, in the sense that having a UTI is a risk factor for pre-term labour. As your already term, that isn't as much of a concern, but yes, it's good to get it sorted and treating it is definitely better than not treating it. More than anything, it might just be uncomfortable (I know for me they are incredibly painful!), and something to mention if you do go into labour before you finish the course of antibiotics. It may be something they need to know if, for instance, you needed a catheter, which is common with an epidural or if you have trouble emptying your bladder after birth (I did because my pelvic floor muscles were just so tired I couldn't go).

UTIs can bring on labour, in the sense that having a UTI is a risk factor for pre-term labour. As your already term, that isn't as much of a concern, but yes, it's good to get it sorted and treating it is definitely better than not treating it. More than anything, it might just be uncomfortable (I know for me they are incredibly painful!), and something to mention if you do go into labour before you finish the course of antibiotics. It may be something they need to know if, for instance, you needed a catheter, which is common with an epidural or if you have trouble emptying your bladder after birth (I did because my pelvic floor muscles were just so tired I couldn't go).

Thank you very much for your reply
I am not very uncomfortable, i did not notice i have it till doctor told me, i thought its all joys of pregnancy :) and obviously it did not bring labour just yet
I will start course of antibiotics tomorrow and hopefully it all be gone by the time baby arrives, just made me very nervous as i was not sure if any cimplications

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->