Vanishing twin

littlelemons

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm feeling very confused and I would really love your take on this. I'm pregnant for the first time, at 41, after doing IVF because both my tubes are blocked and because of my age. At my first scan, at 7 weeks, with my fertility dr, I found out I was pregnant with twins, both of which were slightly small by a day or two but had good strong heartbeats (156 and 146 bpm). That dr only does fertility and he's far from where we live, so I needed to find an ob/gyn nearby.

I went to the first prospective OB yesterday and he said twin #1 was measuring 9w3d and #2 9w1d (I was 9w5d yesterday). He only measured #1's heartbeat (174bpm) as he said #2 was obscured by #1 and he couldn't see it properly.

This morning I went to the second prospective OB and she did a much longer abdominal US and said that twin #1 was a good size, but that the nuchal fold was abnormally thick, indicating high risk of Downs. She also told me that #2 measured only 8w and had no heartbeat, so it was definitely gone.

I'm really shattered by this news. I know it's almost certainly just wishful thinking, but I can't help hoping against hope that the problem was just that #2 was still a bit obscured by #1. It was definitely further back than #1, but lower down than it looked yesterday and still somewhat visible, so I don't feel that's very likely. I just don't get how these two OBs' assessments could be so hugely different...

Hi littlelemons,

I don't have any experience of this personally, but it doesn't sound like a solid diagnosis. Their opinions are too different and within a very small time frame. Also, it's a bit early to measuring the nuchal fold so I wouldn't take much notice of that either. It's not an exact science anyway. I'd say there is still hope, you're not cramping or bleeding or anything? I'd go back to the first OB if you're concerned and let him know what you've been told.

Fingers crossed for you xxx

I've heard so many stories of incorrect scans, and it's so, so early. If one of the twins is gone, you'll know soon enough, and it's probably helpful to know that might be coming so at least you're not left feeling like you're losing both.

But it's scary, too. I know. There's so little certainty with this isn't there?

As for DS, I'm assuming we all know in our 40s it's quite likely. It often means changes to your life, but according to my friends with DS kids, those changes aren't necessarily bad ones :) And kids with DS have so many opportunities now compared to when we were kids. The world is kinder.

I've heard so many stories of incorrect scans, and it's so, so early. If one of the twins is gone, you'll know soon enough, and it's probably helpful to know that might be coming so at least you're not left feeling like you're losing both.

But it's scary, too. I know. There's so little certainty with this isn't there?

As for DS, I'm assuming we all know in our 40s it's quite likely. It often means changes to your life, but according to my friends with DS kids, those changes aren't necessarily bad ones :) And kids with DS have so many opportunities now compared to when we were kids. The world is kinder.

Completely agree with this ^^^

A friend of mine has a little boy with DS and oh my God hes the most beautiful little soul I've ever met, hes so charming! Hes 10 years old now and she had him when she was 19. Even being that young she said it was never hard work or even with him growing up he was just like every other child his age, he never really fell behind with anything either. Makes me proud that he calls me his girlfriend hahaha!

With the issue at the scans, I'd definitely get another opinion, or see what is said a bit later on. It was 2 completely different opinions so close together, it would drive me crazy with worry!

Good luck hun :)

Hello sweet I'm with all the others.
To get 2 very different opinions in such a short space of time.
Also at only 9 weeks that's so early to be measuring the fold at the back of the neck. They dont normoly do that until ure 13 weeks.
Baby isn't fully formed yet so how can they even measure that that early.
This must be so worrying for you and I'm so sorry u are going through this.
I really hope at ure next scan u get some much better news.
Also my step brother has DS and he is awesome. Thinking of you

Back in 2006 with DD1, at 7wks i was told i had twins! I was told, like you, they may not make it. One or both might not. I had bleeding though and thats why i found out. By 17wks, DS was gone and DD1 was small but good. She needed a 2 week NICU stay but was fine. She turns 13 Wednesday!!

When I went for my 12 week scan, the sonographer told me that my baby didn't have a heartbeat and was only measuring 8 weeks (had a scan at 6 so knew it was impossible). I asked her to do an internal and there he was measuring 12w5d, lovely heartbeat. Due to my tilted uterus he was too far back to see hb and was measuring small. Xx

9 weeks is too early for a nt scan. You're doctor is wrong to scare you like that even when babies come back with a high chance of downsyndrome at 12 weeks + most come out perfectly healthy. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->