Vasectomy reversal and introduction

Shadow738

Reaction score
Hey all! I am so excited to be here and wanted to share our story so far :) I apologize if this is in the wrong place, I haven't seen a VR thread so figured I'd post here.

My husband and I began seriously talking about a vasectomy reversal a couple months ago. His vasectomy was in October 2014, I was pregnant with our 3rd child at the time and was shocked he brought it up, because we had always said we wanted 4. We were also still very young (early/mid 20s), but after talking about it, I understood his reasons. We came to the agreement that when the time was right, we would explore our options for completing our family.

After taking a break to finish school, my husband reenlisted and commissioned as an officer in the Air Force last year. We have settled into our new city and we are finally ready to start this journey to completing our family! Since we are a military family, my husband has opted to go the cheaper but longer route and have the procedure done at the hospital on base. The referral/consultation process was actually MUCH faster than I expected it to be! My husband called the appointment line for a referral on Monday and they gave him an appointment with his PCM the following morning (which was yesterday). His PCM put in for a consult with urology and they called him back just 3 and half hours later! I expected this whole process to take at least a week or 2, but I am pleasantly surprised it went so quick!

He was informed that they only perform vasectomy reversals when they have a cancellation in the OR, or when they need to train residents (and neither happens very often). However, when there is availability, priority goes to Active Duty personnel first, and then to those in the local area, so since both apply for him, we are hopeful that the wait isn't too long. We were also informed that when there is availability, it will likely be very short notice, possibly less than 24 hours, so we hope it works out with his schedule! But for now, we wait, for who knows how long.. but at least we are that much closer to completing our family!

Currently we have 2 boys and 1 girl, so I am really hoping we will be blessed with another daughter, please think pink for us!

Good luck to everyone else going through this journey too! I hope we all have some good news to share in the coming months!

On a side note: For military families who are considering it, here is what I wish we had known: Tricare has nothing to do with the vasectomy reversal, so you do not need to contact them for prior authorization as it is not something they cover, unless it is deemed medically necessary. However, you can still have the procedure done at no cost to you if your base has a urology clinic that offers the procedure (or if you are willing to travel to a base that does). It would be a good idea to inform the proper person(s) of your intent though incase you need to make any last minute arrangements, or in the event the surgery would prevent you from completing your duties. They also will not authorize non essential procedures if you are due to separate within the next 6 months.

Hi, just wanted to leave a message to say Hello! We have just started looking at a reversal for my husband and I wanted to wish you both luck! I will keep thinking pink for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->