• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

vbac home birth

Incubator

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm pregnant with my third - My first was a relatively straight forward vaginal birth but my second was a c-section owing to complications with my pregnancy. I am meeting my consultant in August but if I am going to go for a vbac I'd really like a home birth. Just wondering if any of you lovely ladies have any experience of vbac home births and if any of you know if it would be an option (assuming there are no complications, fingers crossed).

Any advice/info would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

x

They will advise you to go in. But you can refuse and they have a duty of care to attend. Theres lots of VBAC info on homebirth.org.uk . can't write much atm as currently feeding baby.

You never know you may be lucky enough to be able to but most health professionals would probably say no i think.

You never know you may be lucky enough to be able to but most health professionals would probably say no i think.

In the UK the local midwives have a duty of care. So if you tell them in advance that you are staying at home and having a home birth then the have to come out to you. If they tell you that you need to come in what they are actually doing is advising you to come in. I think things are probably different in the US where health care is private and people sue each other more.

Of course the last thing you want to be doing is refusing to come in during labour.....you want to plan in advance. From what I've already been told by my midwife as I'm planning a home VBAC with #2 (when I manage to make #2) is I will need to speak to the consultant about my plans for the birth and it would be at this point the consultant would discuss my birth options and advise, giving reasons, how my birth plan should look. I will then say, "thanks but no thanks, I'm, staying at home".

Expect the community midwife in attendance to be more cautious. Things that would usually be a wait and see situation will become a transfer earlier than in a normal labour. But VBAC is not a low risk birth...there is a degree of risk and if something was to go wrong better to have a midwife on the ball.

there is a yahoo group called ukvbachbac which is full of women that have vbac'd at home. You do not need 'permission' to have an hbac, but you may have a fight on your hands. I would suggest being pro-active and writing a letter to the head of midwives informing her that you will be having a home birth and that you expect to be attended by supportive MWs, tbh I would also avoid seeing the consultant as 9 times out of 10 they try to scare you into having a hospital birth while strapped to the monitors.

there is a yahoo group called ukvbachbac which is full of women that have vbac'd at home. You do not need 'permission' to have an hbac, but you may have a fight on your hands. I would suggest being pro-active and writing a letter to the head of midwives informing her that you will be having a home birth and that you expect to be attended by supportive MWs, tbh I would also avoid seeing the consultant as 9 times out of 10 they try to scare you into having a hospital birth while strapped to the monitors.

I've been assigned consultant led care with this pregnancy because of the problems last time so avoiding the consultant, while lovely(!) thought, isn't going to be possible.

Thanks so much for the info. Will get letter writing asap!

x

In the UK the local midwives have a duty of care. So if you tell them in advance that you are staying at home and having a home birth then the have to come out to you. If they tell you that you need to come in what they are actually doing is advising you to come in. I think things are probably different in the US where health care is private and people sue each other more.

Of course the last thing you want to be doing is refusing to come in during labour.....you want to plan in advance. From what I've already been told by my midwife as I'm planning a home VBAC with #2 (when I manage to make #2) is I will need to speak to the consultant about my plans for the birth and it would be at this point the consultant would discuss my birth options and advise, giving reasons, how my birth plan should look. I will then say, "thanks but no thanks, I'm, staying at home".

Expect the community midwife in attendance to be more cautious. Things that would usually be a wait and see situation will become a transfer earlier than in a normal labour. But VBAC is not a low risk birth...there is a degree of risk and if something was to go wrong better to have a midwife on the ball.

Thanks so much. Really hope you get the birth you want next time around.

x

heya i planned a homebirth last time and ended up having a c section. this time im planning a home birth again so itll be a vbac and i have my first appointment next week and i'll let you know what hte midwife says!! xx

heya i planned a homebirth last time and ended up having a c section. this time im planning a home birth again so itll be a vbac and i have my first appointment next week and i'll let you know what hte midwife says!! xx

Best of luck with it all. Fingers crossed for you that your midwife is supportive.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->