VBAC homebirth, responsible or irresponsible?

RiverSong

Reaction score
So your opinions please, I am planning a VBAC after a c section, it will be one year two months since the section at the time of delivery. (I have no childcare for baby number one and I dont want to be in the delivery room on my own. Thats not negotiable unless theres a genuine medical risk.)

Realistically am I being stupid or is it possible?

Your opinions/thoughts please :thumbup:

Totally possible - your body will want to birth this baby naturally no matter where you are..
Just becuase you have had a previous c-section doesn't mean that huge physiological evolotionary changes have happened in your body that makes birth less instictive. It is ingrained in you and your baby. There are lots of HBAC ladies, who know exactally how you feel. It's ok to feel this way - perhaps a doula could help you understand, forgive your body and have confidence in your body.
This labour and birth will be different, you can do this.
XxXX

Thank you thats very encouraging! I am actually quite excited about it because I wanted a home birth first time around, having my firstborn son there to welcome my second just makes it even more special! X

It is going to be awesome!! You will love it, and having the intimacy of your family around you will be fab - I'm also really looking forward to my new baby, my wonderful OH and daughter all snugged up with me together in our own home in bed the morning after. I also picture a massive bacon sandwich and a hot cup of tea! ;-)
XxX

I'm doing it! :happydance:
You're MW and/or consultant might not like it at first, but you're perfectly entitled to :winkwink:

I'm going for it too! You can do it. Do you have a copy of your notes from last time from the hospital? If you can get them it can be a good help, you can go through what happened last time with your MW and discuss what may have been done differently/what you can do differently this time to avoid the section. They can reveal a lot (some of which might make you mad, but that's better than feeling like you're "broken", or many of the other things you may feel) and help you along to understanding and letting go of any fear, ready for your next birth. The more relaxed you feel (which is most likely in your own home), the better you'll get on, and for many hospital is not conducive to relaxation! All the best, you'll be fine and will find great support here. xxxx

Plenty of women have HBACs (homebirth after a c-section) that go wonderfully. You'll probably get extra monitoring by your Midwife, but that's just a percaustion.

Thank you ladies, i honestly wasnt expecting such a positive response :) well lo was breech with the cord round his neck twice last time so we opted for a section to be safe. Im looking into hiring a pool, oh just asked why dont you use the paddling pool lol. And a bacon sarnie sounds lovely :) X

I planned an HBAC with full support of my MW's one of whom applauded me and said good girl you'll get better care at home!

I did have to transfer in the end due to some concerns about blood loss but it was not a true emergency rather a case of you're at 10cm dont want to push and you're losing a lot of blood, lets go in and see whats what.

I'm at least a 25 min journey to the nearest hospital even with blues and twos...maybe less if it was the middle of the night. But i chose to go to the hospital furthur away out of preference and to avoid the OB who dealt with me last time LOL.

HB are just as safe as hospital, you'll be relaxed and able to labour better, you wont be pressurized into unnecessary interventions like a cannula and constant monitoring plus you'll get 100% attention of your MW you wouldnt get that in hospital while you're labouring.

Best decision I ever made was to try for an HBAC, I know if I'd been in hospital and had gone in when they wanted me in (very early labour) things wouldn't have progressed as well and I wouldn't have coped.

Thinking about it I was pootling around the house putting my toddler to bed, making and eating beef stew and doing a tesco online shop in labour with contractions I had to concentrate through and breathe. What would I have been doing in hospital? nothing except thinking it hurts and being bored and super aware of how long it was taking because there was nothing to distract me!

GO FOR IT HUN!

Its not irresponsible bu do be aware of the reasons why you had a c-section last time and how the labour progeressed.

For example, if it was for a reason which is not health related ie: baby was breech, then you can totally have a VBAC! Also did you labour start naturally or were you induced? Did you have much pain relief before having the c-section? Have your stitches healed well/ no pain in the area?

I think it is sensible to just see how the pregnancy progresses and take note towards the end whether you are in good health/ no concerns over your c-section scar etc etc.

If you have a VABC in hospital you will most likely be hookd up to monitors more or less the whole time. The midwives will do this to monitor babys hertbeat and check for any signs of distress-- this is one of the signs that the scar may rupture.

A competent midwife can do this perfectly well at home as well, sometimes better, as in a hospital environment, you may be attended to by the midwife every 15-20 minutes or so to check the machine, whereas the miwdwife at home can check more regulalry and spot signs of distress quicker as she is giving you one-to-one care.

Having said that, do be aware that if there are any signs of distress/ midwife is concerned she will transfer you asap...so be open to the possibility of being moved whlst in labour.

Best thing to do is go over your previous labour/ birth with your midwife and iron out the details between you :)

I'm planning to HBAC too, and I think I'm making one of the most informed responsible decisons I've ever made. I can't think of a better way to have my baby than at home where I'm more in control of what happens. I also wanted a homebirth with my first, but was scared out of it, obviously wasn't as strong then and didn't know any better. If I had a homebirth last time I really think I may not have ended up having a ceaserean, with my personal circumstances.

To the comment regarding the MW transferring you during labour if there are signs of distress, do your research and really be aware of what they consider a reason to transfer. For example, my MW said to me that they would advice me to transfer if my waters had broken for 18hours and still no baby. However I've done the research and I would decline under those circumstances as I know you can go alot longer and it's still ok. There was a list of transfer reasons, only a couple I would agree to without arguement, the rest it would depend on the circumstances. It's a personal decision :)

My advice would be to hang around here (as there are a few of us due soon!) and do your research. I made sure I asked alot of questions here and found out alot of info I really did use when talking to my consultant and MW. My MW is fully supportive now, but wasn't when I first spoke about it to her, my consultant has 'strongly advised against it', but only on the grounds of uterine rupture (get used to hearing that mentioned ALOT lol), whereas the chances of that happening are 0.5%, its a bigger risk (1%) for cord prolapse for example but he's never once mentioned that?

I'm planning on having my daughter with me too as long as she and I am ok, so going to the hospital leaving her behind fills me with dread. Feels so much nicer knowing she will at least be around and there right away to welcome baby to the family. I can't wait, I'm so excited, so nervous, but so confident, such a mix of emotions but under the circumstances of being so pregnant think I'm doing ok :thumbup: Good luck with everything :flower:

I was lucky that my MW's were very good who attended me in labour. Husband is a bit of a worry wart and they were wonderful making sure he was ok about my blood loss and making sure he didnt worry too much by reassuring him I was ok.

We transferred for a number of reasons that I see as being good reasons...

Concerns about blood loss
Possible posterior baby and no urge to push at fully dilated

They waiting as long as they thought was safe and then we made the call, but the decision to transfer was talked through with both MW's me and Hubby involved.

I would have refused transfer for slow progress unless I genuinely thought I needed to go.

Thank you ladies :) i think i certainly need to do more research into complications etc and i need to get it organised sharpish lol. I didnt go into labour last time as my section was planned, the reason was only because he was bottom down with the cord round his neck.

I like the idea of lo one being around too, he will keep me busy and active, which im told is important in labour?

I will stick round here, probably lurk a lot :) but i do come on here using my phone lol, typing is a faff ;) xxx

I'm planning one as well. I have my moments where I freak out and think it's a bad idea. Then I remember the hospital and remind myself why indent want to go back.

Chuck, just incase you think my comment about transfer was aimed at your post, it wasn't :) Just thought it was worth mentioning a little more about since my MW went through all the reasons, and I've had to do a bit more research. I think especially with a VBAC at home MW's might be inclined to transfer quicker than with a less complicated birth, which has it's positives and negatives. I've reassured my MW I would be sensible about transferring if I have to, its not that she thinks I wouldn't, she just isn't use to having many women VBAC at home I think.

I hope my MW's were as good as your's with discussing things with you, as you can probably sympathise with the ones from my previous birth weren't really.

I'm reading a fab book at the moment, called "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Sarah Buckley MD. It's a great source of well researched information by a doctor who birthed her 4 babies at home. I think she's Australian so not sure if will be available outwith the southern hemisphere, but don't see why not. If not she has a website with some great excerpts. Look for the one about Nature's Bluebrint for natural birth - it explains what goes on with all your hormones etc at different stages of labour and very well explains the effects of fear and interference on this delicate chain of events, and the effects it can have on labour. Many of the later stages are reflex actions, so your body really does take over and a lot of it becomes instinctive, if you let it. Anyway, it will help you to see why homebirth, or at least labouring at home is a damn fine idea!

My MW is fully supportive now, but wasn't when I first spoke about it to her, my consultant has 'strongly advised against it', but only on the grounds of uterine rupture (get used to hearing that mentioned ALOT lol), whereas the chances of that happening are 0.5%, its a bigger risk (1%) for cord prolapse for example but he's never once mentioned that?

You made me LOL Indigo!!! Isn't that the truth¬! All VBAC women must be sick to the back teeth with that old chestnut!
xxx

I'm reading a fab book at the moment, called "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Sarah Buckley MD. It's a great source of well researched information by a doctor who birthed her 4 babies at home. I think she's Australian so not sure if will be available outwith the southern hemisphere, but don't see why not. If not she has a website with some great excerpts. Look for the one about Nature's Bluebrint for natural birth - it explains what goes on with all your hormones etc at different stages of labour and very well explains the effects of fear and interference on this delicate chain of events, and the effects it can have on labour. Many of the later stages are reflex actions, so your body really does take over and a lot of it becomes instinctive, if you let it. Anyway, it will help you to see why homebirth, or at least labouring at home is a damn fine idea!

That book is brilliant! I love it - though she did loose me at the end with the gentle mothering part ( not that I'm not a gentle mother), I was just more interested in all the brilliant reseach, papers and information she provides to women on birth.
XxX

I don't think it's irresponsible. I'm planning one my self for #2 (got the whole getting pregnant and convincing OH yet, but details details :winkwink:). Most complications (not all, but I think it's fair to say the majority) have enough notice to transfer if necessary. I was waiting an hour or so for my EMCS.

My MW is fully supportive now, but wasn't when I first spoke about it to her, my consultant has 'strongly advised against it', but only on the grounds of uterine rupture (get used to hearing that mentioned ALOT lol), whereas the chances of that happening are 0.5%, its a bigger risk (1%) for cord prolapse for example but he's never once mentioned that?

It really pees me off when they manipulate statistics for their own good :growlmad:

I also think that if other hospitals are like my local one, who feel it's appropriate to give a VBAC woman induction drugs (totally bonkers btw), which vastly increases their change of rupture... then that statistic of 0.5% is probably a lot lower for HBACs where you haven't taken any induction-type medications :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->