VBAC homebirth, responsible or irresponsible?

My MW is fully supportive now, but wasn't when I first spoke about it to her, my consultant has 'strongly advised against it', but only on the grounds of uterine rupture (get used to hearing that mentioned ALOT lol), whereas the chances of that happening are 0.5%, its a bigger risk (1%) for cord prolapse for example but he's never once mentioned that?

It really pees me off when they manipulate statistics for their own good :growlmad:

I also think that if other hospitals are like my local one, who feel it's appropriate to give a VBAC woman induction drugs (totally bonkers btw), which vastly increases their change of rupture... then that statistic of 0.5% is probably a lot lower for HBACs where you haven't taken any induction-type medications :shrug:

Definitely :thumbup: the stats must be from mainly hospital births. Not to mention the length of time since you had the CS? It's surely going to differ for each individual don't you think? I don't understand the giving of induction drugs to VBAC's whatsoever, there are so many alternatives! the mind boggles... :wacko:

My MW is fully supportive now, but wasn't when I first spoke about it to her, my consultant has 'strongly advised against it', but only on the grounds of uterine rupture (get used to hearing that mentioned ALOT lol), whereas the chances of that happening are 0.5%, its a bigger risk (1%) for cord prolapse for example but he's never once mentioned that?

You made me LOL Indigo!!! Isn't that the truth¬! All VBAC women must be sick to the back teeth with that old chestnut!
xxx

I'm surprised I'm not dreaming about flammin' UR's! Think my consultant would be so smug if I was that 0.5%... I'd have to hit him with my placenta on the way out just to get the smug look off his face :winkwink:

so encouraged to read this thread, not sure whether i'll have another baby but if so this would be AMAZING if 'allowed' to - think I would automatically be put onto consultant care and was told I would not be 'allowed' to be on midwife led care if I got pregnant again :grr: when people are talking about it being dependent on the cause of the c-section, does anyone have any more information? on homebirth.org there are some but I dont knwo where the statistics you are mentioning come from?
(my emcs was because of fetal distress / meconium but that had started even before my waters broke, but I dont know why, I requested my notes to see if anything was noted but they only sent my post-labour notes and there was zero info about the actual op / what they found etc - does this mean that no one would know if I asked?)

so encouraged to read this thread, not sure whether i'll have another baby but if so this would be AMAZING if 'allowed' to - think I would automatically be put onto consultant care and was told I would not be 'allowed' to be on midwife led care if I got pregnant again :grr: when people are talking about it being dependent on the cause of the c-section, does anyone have any more information? on homebirth.org there are some but I dont knwo where the statistics you are mentioning come from?
(my emcs was because of fetal distress / meconium but that had started even before my waters broke, but I dont know why, I requested my notes to see if anything was noted but they only sent my post-labour notes and there was zero info about the actual op / what they found etc - does this mean that no one would know if I asked?)

Under the freedom of information act you should be able to get your full maternity/labour notes, where it will definitely be noted.

Medical notes come under the Data protection act. But that's just me being pedantic - freedom of information act governs the information held by public bodies, but doesn't included confidential medical records. It doesn't really matter which law it is - you have a right to your own information held by anyone.
The following will depend on how you got your post birth notes - but if you requested them officially (i.e wrote or phoned the data controller of the trust, or through the records department) then you can access the rest of your notes without paying any additional fees. If you obtained copies through your post natal MW then you could try this again, or through your G.P surgery (so you can get away with out paying the upto £50 admin fee), or you will have to go the official route. The official route might sound like a pain in the bum, but actually it is very easy, just call them, they will send you out some forms to fill in, it is just costly. It is a one off fee and the maximum they can change (within a reasonable time frame), so you can have records going back to your birth if it is all held at the same trust. As it covers any information they have on you.

As for the reasons for a previous c-section effecting you being high risk; what is important is whether the reason was something specific to that pregnancy or something that was specific to your body.. i.e not fetal distress (that is specific to that baby and the circumstances) but something like if you (the mother) had had a previous fractured pelvis, heart disease etc, chronic illnesses (that would more likely effect you for all subsequent pregnancies)
xXxX

You made me LOL Indigo!!! Isn't that the truth¬! All VBAC women must be sick to the back teeth with that old chestnut!
xxx

I'm surprised I'm not dreaming about flammin' UR's! Think my consultant would be so smug if I was that 0.5%... I'd have to hit him with my placenta on the way out just to get the smug look off his face :winkwink:

:rofl:

Indigo///I wasnt trying to make a point I was just giving that part of my story.

My MW's were fab, weren't too quick to want to transfer but had a healthy dose of caution given I was VBAC'ing.

Here's a great article about VBACs from a blog (I think) - my doula posted it on facebook... anyway it's very positive and deals with the statistics nicely :thumbup:

https://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/23/vbac-making-a-mountain-out-of-a-molehill/

That's a great blog. The video t the end made me cry buckets, it sums up my feelings beautifully.

Bourne, I haven't got to the end of that book yet, I'm still on the birth/Labour part, might have to flick forward a bit for a look now, hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->