Vegetarian babies *please no debates right or wrong*

B

bv82

What meat substitutes do you give your baby?
Mia has tried fake ground beef and loved it.
Anyone?.

Im guessing you would be able to give her quorn? as a substitute for chicken?

Were both vegan and not that big on meat subs so our bubs would mostly just eat regular plant foods like us. We have the odd bit of tofu, some nutburgers, and the odd mock product here and there, but not often
We havent got on with quorn at all in the past (when we were veg) Its like some mould stuff grown with chemicals. But some people swear by it

Surely theres another veggie section option with main brand?

Josh isn't vegetarian fed, but he has tofu and lentils xx

From my understanding, I was told this by a vegam you need to take special vitamins... because you are not eating a balanced diet ever.

ok, but even if you just dont eat live animals there would be certain vitamin supplements she would likely need. Im not starting a debate, just pointing this out in case vegetarians and other people dont know this.

Oh yeah, for sure vegetarians need extra vitamins. She actually does get a daily supplement and so do I...well, whenever I remember.

BUT

I went through my entire pregnancy extremely healthy and never iron or b12 deficient.
I think saying vegetarians NEVER have a balanced diet is a very incorrect statement.

Chloe is veggie and will have lentils, beans etc as well as lots of green veg, cereals and quorn...cant believe you cant get that in canada

From my understanding, I was told this by a vegam you need to take special vitamins... because you are not eating a balanced diet ever.

If this was true I would have died or become very ill 8 years ago
Sorry but its false. You can get all you need from a plant diet. Vitamin B12 is needed but this is often added to foods like rice milk, margarine etc. I personally take a multivit but that is because I am trying to conceive. But people all over the world are doing just great as vegans and dont need a tonne of vitamins-their diet gives them what they need. I have a very balanced diet and have studied nutrition. Ironically it is mostly omnivores who have nutritional deficiencies like vitmin and mineral ones as they are often less aware of nutrition and are also often eating junk in place of fruits and vegetables
But this isnt a place for debate. I just wished to correct that statement as it is untrue. I went vegan at 12 yeas old and have done great ever since

Hello ILove, I'm really glad you just wrote what you did. I wanted to say something but didn't want to, in case I got told off for starting a debate. I'm not vegan, but I am a strict veggie. I do take vits, but that's just for my own peace of mind. Actually, I reckon my diet is a zillion times more vitamin-laden than that of some of my meat-eating friends. xx

Hello ILove, I'm really glad you just wrote what you did. I wanted to say something but didn't want to, in case I got told off for starting a debate. I'm not vegan, but I am a strict veggie. I do take vits, but that's just for my own peace of mind. Actually, I reckon my diet is a zillion times more vitamin-laden than that of some of my meat-eating friends. xx

Hey, thanx. Im glad someone understands. I do hope it wasnt seen as starting debate, I really just wanted to correct some misinformation as theres a lot of it out there. Veganism can be done really badly, just like being veg or omnivore. If you eat junk youll suffer. But when done right, it provides all we need and can really work for a lot of people. Thanx for understanding!

DH and I (well, mainly me!) are thinking of going vegetarian. My reasons are for the animal-rights stuff (insane about animals) and I don't eat meat much, maybe twice a month, but Char has been eating chicken, turkey, beef and ham baby foods (mixed with veggies) and I was wondering about this myself....good thread!

I'm not Vegan or Veggie, but thought these links might be of use.

https://www.vegsource.com/parent/growing_vegans.htm

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startingsolids/vegetarianbaby/

Oh yeah, for sure vegetarians need extra vitamins. She actually does get a daily supplement and so do I...well, whenever I remember.

BUT

I went through my entire pregnancy extremely healthy and never iron or b12 deficient.
I think saying vegetarians NEVER have a balanced diet is a very incorrect statement.

Same with me....I am a vegetarian and during my pregnancy I never had any problems with iron or B12.

If this was true I would have died or become very ill 8 years ago
Sorry but its false. You can get all you need from a plant diet. Vitamin B12 is needed but this is often added to foods like rice milk, margarine etc. I personally take a multivit but that is because I am trying to conceive. But people all over the world are doing just great as vegans and dont need a tonne of vitamins-their diet gives them what they need. I have a very balanced diet and have studied nutrition. Ironically it is mostly omnivores who have nutritional deficiencies like vitamin and mineral ones as they are often less aware of nutrition and are also often eating junk in place of fruits and vegetables
But this isnt a place for debate. I just wished to correct that statement as it is untrue. I went vegan at 12 yeas old and have done great ever since

You're absolutely right! You do NOT need to take extra supplements if you are a vegetarian or vegan so long as you are taking efforts to eat a healthy and balanced diet. Yes most likely you need to put a little extra thought into what you are eating and where you are going to get all your nutrients and vits from, but that doesn't mean getting them in pills because you CAN get them in alternative foods.

I'd like to just refer people who disagree to this thread: https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-toddler-club/85154-vegetarians-non-red-meat-eaters.html Where I have already written up the ins and outs of WHY you do not need meat OR supplements and which food alternatives you can get these nutrients and vitamins from. I can't be bothered to write them all up again and do not want to delve too deeply into this now on this thread. However to those interested, the vegetarian society website has some good tables showing you sources of nutrients and listing how good they are. The is the link to their website: https://www.vegsoc.org/index.html

Most commonly people are concerned that vegetarian children will be iron deficient or lack protein in their diet, so here are some links to the vegetarian society websites charts on protein and iron source: iron - https://www.vegsoc.org/info/iron.html protein - https://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

Branka: I don't know what meat alternatives they have there (if you were looking for a quorne type thing?), but Anna tends to have whatever we are having for dinner! She will munch down vegetarian mince (I forget what you call it - fake grinded beef was it? ) in a bolognese or chili, she quite happily chomps on a bit of vegetarian roast :) She also enjoys dishes like lentil and vegetable bake, oh and she LOVES to have large lumps of tofu just to eat as snack food! haha ...she's not particularly fussy!

What were you thinking of giving to Mia? I would reccomend just trying her with whatever it is, and see how she takes it. If you blend it up or mash it really finely I'm sure she will really enjoy it :D

My OH is Vegetarian and has been for 17 years and he has a fantastic diet and does not take any daily supplements as in fantastic health.

We have had the discussion about what we will do when we have LO and have decided that it will be up to them as they grow up whether they want to eat meat or not. He did until he was old enough to make the decision and I do now. In the meantime, they will have to eat whatever conconctions I decide to blend up for them!! :lol:

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->