Vegetarians anyone?

megangrohl

Mama to Lily!
Reaction score
So, I know a few of my girlfriends are vegetarian and they love it! I just had a question if you could be a vegetarian and still eat some fish/seafood and eggs? I love eggs and I also love tuna!

I was also curious what you vegetarians normally eat? Thanks! :flower:

I have been vegan for the past 3-4 months but have recently introduced eggs back into my diet, so apparently now I am a Ovo-vegetarien- (No meat or dairy but eat eggs)

I have basically had to learn how to work with and cook properly lentils and nuts. Cashews made a awesome protein for anything - curries, stir fry's etc. Cashews soften when they cook too.... I can't recommend cashews more!

lentils, beans, chickpeas etc are all requirements too. I make a lot of lentil patties, curries and so forth.

I used to eat lots of tofu but have decided to cut all soy out.

I have never felt healthier since eating this way.... occasionally i miss meat, but at the same time i dont want it anymore either.

Give it a go!

Also vegetarianism is when you don't eat any meat ... if you still plan to eat fish then that would make you a Pescetarian :)

Yes, I did my research. I would only have tuna once a month. I don't really eat alot of meat as it is, so I think I may give it a go. Did you find you gained weight at first? Are you working out too? Was it a hard transition?

Pre pregnancy I was vegan for 10 years, now I'm happily a vegetarian :)

I don't eat fish or seafood but that's totally up to you. I never watched my weight and remained around 125lbs for a long time prior to pregnancy, I'm 5'8 btw.

Sandilion has a lot of good advice regarding proteins, beans, lentils and nuts are an awesome meat substitute. I eat eggs and love them for low calorie protein, omelettes, scrambled eggs etc go well in the place of meat! My diet is basically oats/toast for breakfast, omelette/salad for lunch, nuts/boiled eggs/fruit/vege and hummus/crackers and cheese for snacks and dinner is veges and some protein, tofu/beans/ lentil lasagne/ pasta salad/roasted vege, curries, tortillas with refried beans and salads etc.

I don't remember how it felt to be a meat eater but I love how healthy I feel being vegetarian. It is totally doable if that's what you want :)

Eta: it's also important to keep your iron levels up. Iron from non-meat sources is a little harder for the body to absorb so vitamin c with your iron rich vege foods will aid absorbtion. All the dark green and leafy things are full of iron.

Yes, I did my research. I would only have tuna once a month. I don't really eat alot of meat as it is, so I think I may give it a go. Did you find you gained weight at first? Are you working out too? Was it a hard transition?

I found the transition very easy. I have always been a meat eater but once i researched it, watched a doco called "forks over knives" learning that animal meats can actually do us more harm than good quickly turned me off it. There has now been studies saying that cows milk does us no good either as we can only absorb 20% of the calcium as our bodies actually reject it rather than absorb it. Hence why i went vegan, but now i am enjoying eggs again as they are such a good dose of low calorie protein. The research i came across says eggs are still no good as they are a animal protein, but meh - the rest of my diet is plant based enough to flush out the eggs.

I am trying to do exercise too. We have bought a really good elliptical trainer but im struggling to stay motivated. We have had some very hot days too so the hot weather has been a drainer.

And nope, no weight gain in fact I have finally started to lose weight since starting this new way of life :)

Thanks for the info :) I am leaning more and more towards it everyday! I didn't eat any meat products at all yesterday

Hi Megan,

Hope you don't mind if I pop in - but good on you for giving going veggie a try.:flower:

Thank you Sandilion and Minikiwi for your advice on this thread. I was a full on low fat vegan for 8 years and fell off the wagon big time when I met my husband- a true Hungry Jacks/Burger King fan. I've been struggling for the past few years to get back to my former way of eating but just can't find that dedication - and frankly I'm sick of all my old vegan recipes. Both of you seemed to have found a nice achievable way of eating with nuts and eggs.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love a link to any of your simple supper/dinner recipes or suggestions, this is where my diet really falls apart.

love the baby in the tub avatar btw, simply gorgeous.

:blush:Ah who am I kidding, all 3 of you have such gorgeous children *sigh. I'm just a wee bit envious

:blush:Ah who am I kidding, all 3 of you have such gorgeous children *sigh. I'm just a wee bit envious

Awww thanks! I am sure sandilion will give you some good ideas. I don't have any! Just some basic bean salad recipes

mmmm bean salad - yummo!

You've had some mild weather back east, have you not? Ex-Ontario girl myself. Ah, but think you're in for some of that nasty winter weather soon though eh? pooh.

We've had some chilly days out here, mind you, not by Ontario standards. However, still into my hot dishes at this time of year. With the hot weather and horrid fires our friends in the antipodes are having I'm not sure their minds on are on much but salads either. I think New Zealanders are having some pleasant weather though, not sure, must look that up.

:hugs:

mmmm bean salad - yummo!

You've had some mild weather back east, have you not? Ex-Ontario girl myself. Ah, but think you're in for some of that nasty winter weather soon though eh? pooh.

We've had some chilly days out here, mind you, not by Ontario standards. However, still into my hot dishes at this time of year. With the hot weather and horrid fires our friends in the antipodes are having I'm not sure their minds on are on much but salads either. I think New Zealanders are having some pleasant weather though, not sure, must look that up.

omg yes haha! it is soooooooo mild, like right now the snow is melting (again!) there is maybe 2 cm left?

Bean salad is so yummy! I make mine with either 6 bean mix, or chick peas and I dice up some red onion and add some sauce (usually some balsamic vinaigrette) and mix it all up. Yummy! :)

Sounds yummy! Funny, we both love onion, but when tucking into a burger, I always ask - are you going to eat your onion?- we've been together over 5 years, but still worry about the mutual kissability, lol, his answer, luckily, is always , "hell yes, you eat yours too"

2 cm is probably all the snow we have now too - but for us that's a good layer - we are such western wimps. Before I moved here in 2000 the weather was a consistent -30 C for weeks, geez! I'm glad to leave that behind. Still have time shift channels to watch Toronto news on occasion though, so I admit to bouts of homesickness. I get homesick for Australia too, but hub (who is Australian) says "no way" to going back - so there you have it.

and farty! beans leave one so farty no matter how much you rinse the damn things. ha ha, lovely to have a husband who is not so prissy about these things :thumbup:

hahaha same here! my DF doesn't mind :) we are so used to each other now lol! You are so lucky to live there I have always wanted to go over there!

hahaha same here! my DF doesn't mind :) we are so used to each other now lol! You are so lucky to live there I have always wanted to go over there!

Ah yes, isn't it great to have someone you can just be yourself with - love is grand.

Oh, it's lovely out here, winters not too harsh, early spring, nice dry summers - we're quite lucky really. We miss being close to a big city - Vancouver is still 5 hours drive away, but tbh we've not much to complain about.

So, as for my return to vegetarianism, I'll give the strict low fat veganism a miss- it's just too bloody hard atm.

I've only seen clips of Forks Over Knives, but I have read the China Study and most of Neal Barnard and John Macdougall books, so I know the health risks associated with too much fat and eggs and dairy. I do know what I should be eating, but putting it into practice once again is just causing a knee jerk reaction and I'm running to burgers and really unhealthy meat stuff. It would be ideal to go all vegan again, but I think adding some eggs and nuts - despite their fat content - they are at least a whole plant food(nuts that is) would be much easier for me to stick to.

I'm going to focus on a healthy ovo-vegetarian meal plan and not strive so much for that perfection in diet thing, it's driving me mental, and I've been really stressing about it :nope:

Thanks for this thread guys, really helpful. :thumbup:

Awww try not to stress :) I love nuts too. My faves are walnuts and cashews! Eggs are a great source of protein. I have a friend that is ovo-vegetarian and she loves it, hope it works out for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->