venting.. insight? advice? clueless..

ksybr10

Reaction score
Dh and I have been trying to conceive for a while now and he finally came to me and told me that we need to stop "trying so hard".

With DD she was a very wanted surprise. We were very welcoming of course, but we were not actively trying. I was not paying attention to my cycle. I was young and not exactly paying attention to my cycle. 6 years later, now that we are actively trying, it seems impossible.

My cycles are pretty irregular and I was on BC for quite sometime to try ad regulate my cycle. It didn't work so of course I stopped using it. So when we started actively trying we started using OPKS. Which I was excited about because I would finally know for sure when I was about to ovulate. Maybe I was wrong. Although, DH came to me recently and told me that we should just not try so hard. He doesn't want me to "rely on a stick that you pee on and believe that it's time to BD".. He just wants to go with the flow. Seriously? I don't think he understands that there is only a few days out of each cycle that it's a great possibility of conceiving.

I mean, I understand that if I don't use OPK's there may be less stress. I wont be so anxious. But the thing is that I told DH is we don't BD as much anyway. Even when it's not those best days. We are always busy with work and other things.. or he's tired or i'm tired. So when we started trying and actually using the OPKS, we knew there was a certain time and that whole fertile window we would BD every other day. I don't think if we stop using them we will do the same thing. But he just keeps reassuring me that we just need to go with the flow, do it when we want, no stress. I don't think we will ever get pregnant that way.

Now, someone suggested checking cervical mucus and tempting. That may be less stressful. But in all honesty, the whole tempting thing is confusing to me. Checking cervical mucus, yeah it changes but, I don't know. Just venting.

I just recently switched doctors in seek of help because my doctor just refused to help me for some reason, but this new doctor seems about he same. DH says lets try for a few more months and do it the way he wants and if nothing then I can seek another doc. Doctors said DH and I are both fine and shouldn't have any trouble conceiving.. 14 months later.

Just feel like it's going to be a dead end like it's always been. Okay, so I'm rambling now. Anyone have any insight on any of this or any advice?

I know for my husband with me tempting and getting excited about ovulation dates and so on was very frustrating for him after a while. We also have a 4 year old that was a surprise and he feels like when it happens it happens. Every little symptom i thought i was pregnant and he was supportive but then he could see it was driving me mad. i would be all excited then crash when period came.
Last month i finally agreed to stop focusing on it and focused on other things (finding a new place, enjoying my son, and so on) and missed my period! so now I'm waiting for it to come and have had a few bfns but i'm not so stressed out about it like i would've been before. And now he is more supportive ! he sees that i actually tried his way and it took a load of our marriage.
Perhaps try his way for awhile just so he can see you're listening and respect his advice on the situation. It could lead to your bp!

First off, how long have you been actively TTC? If it's under a year, the doctor really isn't going to want to get involved yet because liekly things are totally fine.

As for OPK's: Husbands can have such a rough time with being pushed to BD because a stick says to. It's a lot of pressure to HAVE TO reach the big O. For us ladies, we don't have to perform in that way, so it's much less stressful for us.

Can you just do the OPK's on your own and not push the results on him. If you know you're about to O, you can initiate BD without telling him why. It might make it a lot easier on him. Obviously, the OPK's are going to make it a lot easier to conceive, so if YOU are comfortable doing them for YOU, it seems a reasonable game plan.

Lastly, if you've been TTC for over 9 months, you could go ahead and ask the doctor to just do a workup to make sure everything is fine. I'd go in with a minimal set of requests for now. I'd ask to have progesterone checked 9 days after positive OPK to make sure you're actually O'ing after the surge, I'd ask for an HSG just to check that your tubes are clear, and I'd ask to have CD 3 hormones drawn next cycle. None of these are fertility treatments, just tests to check that everything is okay. I'd also have your DH's sperm checked just in case. Mens health can really change over time. If he doesn't want to do it you could always make an exchange- he gets the SA, you quit bothering him with OPK results. :winkwink:

Thanks. We've been TTC for about almost two years now.

I've just been having a rough time finding a doctor who will actually help me. All of our tests have came back normal and they don't want to start any fertility meds because of it. But I'm thinking I may have to push for it.

If it's been two years, they really should be doing something to help you out. Anything over a year is definitely infertility. Unexplained infertility is not an uncommon diagnosis, and you deserve treatment for it. I am so, so sorry your doctors are not doing anything to help. I know how frustrating that can be; I have experience doctor denial first hand. Just keep searching. :hugs:

If you ever do need to do IVF, you can have it done a lot cheaper overseas. DH and I have ours done in Prague, where a basic IVF cycle including meds costs less than $5000. Even with having to pay for flights and lodging, it is still under $8000. The clinic we go to has an amazing success rate and we love them. They're called ISCARE.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. I'm switching doctors again if this month is a bust and hopefully this new doctor will indeed help!

Well, I will keep my FX'd that this cycle in the one that works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->