Very Dry Skin

~RedLily~

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can get some suggestions for my hands. I've tried pretty much everything I can think off creams, lotions, handwashes, medical creams... nothing works. My knuckles split and are constantly bleeding, I can't close my hand completely because that makes them split even more. Washing my hands really stings and putting creams on feels like it's burning. All day they kind of feel like I've put them in nettles because they sting and itch. I'm getting a bit worried about when it gets colder as well because I get badchill blaines so that on top will be agony. So any ideas would be very appreciated :flower:

Aveeno cream have you tired that?

They make one with oats I think it is and it's really good for dry skin. I think they do a handcream aswell... Have you tried putting a moisturiser on you're hand every time after you wash them?

Is it just the skin on your hands? Or is your skin dry in other places? It's maybe worth having a trip to your doctor. There are various things which can cause dry skin, and your doctor can probably rule some of them out.

In terms of handwash, what do you use? A lot of commercial soaps (even "gentle/sensitive" ones) still contain very harsh degreasers (like sodium laureth sulphate) which can really irritate skin. I mean, SLS can be used to degrease engines :shock: There are soaps out there which contain no SLS (and other nasty chemicals) so it might be worth having a look around for one.

In terms of creams, goat's milk is very soothing for sore/itchy skin. Again, a lot of commercial creams have chemicals in them which some people find cause more irritation than they solve. There was a recent study done which showed that aqueous cream (which a lot of GPs tend to prescribe as a first response to skin issues) contains SLS, which can make things worse!

Hope you find something which helps soon :hugs:

I have the same problem but due to the enviroment i work in which is harsh on my already dry hands.
I stumbled upon a cream (randomly found it in a tens machine box) and tried it and it worked wonders on my hands!
Ive just bought some more ready for this year as my hands are starting to crack up again
https://www.skinsureinternational.com/home.aspx (the skinsure plus is the one i use)

I was looking into Aveeno and next time I go shopping I will get some. If that doesn't work I will try that skinsure cream. I try and put cream on everytime I wash my hands but not always possible when Ella's screaming lol.
Yeh it is just my hands, I have a perfect line on my wrists where it stops being red so I thought it could be some kind of reaction to soaps and creams. I just use thinks like radox. I'm going to look into more natural things now though because even baby lotion burns.
I've got a steroid cream from the doctors but don't want to use it while I'm BFing. They prescribed it when I was pregnant and said very small amounts would be ok but as it's all over my hands I don't want to risk it.

It sounds very much like what I've got - feels like nettle stings all the time. I've had eczema all my life and really dry sensitive skin. My hands started up when LO was in neonatal and we had to keep using alcohol gel every time we went into the room. Then when she came home, with the constant hand washing, sterilising, washing bottles etc etc it got worse.

I have also tried everything. I get some relief from putting some baby oil in a sink of warm water and soaking my hands, and using baby oil in the bath. But to clear up individual cuts, a miracel cure is Snowfire. Put some on at night - quite a lot, with a plaster, and by morning the cut can be gone. I know it's hard if you have loads and loads of cuts but if you can at least get some of them under control it's a bonus! I had steroid cream from the dr which did nothing but snowfire helped. xx

Is it just the skin on your hands? Or is your skin dry in other places? It's maybe worth having a trip to your doctor. There are various things which can cause dry skin, and your doctor can probably rule some of them out.

In terms of handwash, what do you use? A lot of commercial soaps (even "gentle/sensitive" ones) still contain very harsh degreasers (like sodium laureth sulphate) which can really irritate skin. I mean, SLS can be used to degrease engines :shock: There are soaps out there which contain no SLS (and other nasty chemicals) so it might be worth having a look around for one.

In terms of creams, goat's milk is very soothing for sore/itchy skin. Again, a lot of commercial creams have chemicals in them which some people find cause more irritation than they solve. There was a recent study done which showed that aqueous cream (which a lot of GPs tend to prescribe as a first response to skin issues) contains SLS, which can make things worse!

Hope you find something which helps soon :hugs:

As an ezcema sufferer, also allergic to lanolin and rubber- i get really dry skin. Funny enough though aqueous cream has worked wonders for me. I rarely have to use my steriod cream for my ezcema now. I tried many different creams and finally found something that helps.

It's trial and error, as everyone's different :)

Yes be very careful what creams you pick up off the shelfs they can contain harsh ingredients even if they say not (for someone who has dry hands) I too suffer from dry hands not to your extreme though.

On the outside try 'neutrogena' I find that helps alot for me. try to wear plastic gloves when dong certain jobs to save having to wash your hands too much.

But are you taking omega 3 supplements and eating oily fish? what you take in can effect the skin alot! plus vitamin E

Hope this helps some.

I've got the same problem - normal hand creams make my hands burn like hell! So far two things seem to work for me 1. Simple Derma 2. Burts Bees Hand Balm - I think its the lack of Lanolin in them that helps. I like the Burts Bees because its mostly natural.
Hope you find something that helps soon xx

i suffer from psoriasis which causes really sore dry skin. i use a product that has goats milk in it and since using it my psoriasis has praticalyl gone, apart from a few small patches that have come back since the weather turned colder.
the company i get my cream from has a website www.psoriasiscream.co.uk its expensive (£10 for a small tub) but it does go along way, my first little tub i had lasted me three months and thats using it arms legs and face!
to me it sounds like you may have dermatitus, which is very common especially for those whos hands get wet quite alot like hairdressers and such.
everytime you wash your hands make sure you dry them thoroughly, mositurise after you wash your hands, in the evenings do an intensive moisturise which involves slapping on the cream then wrapping them in cling film, it will sting to begin with but as your hands heal it will fade, the cling film helps absorbtion.
i dont use soaps to wash my hands with either, i use menuka honey to wash them then splash with a bit of lemon juice to help get rid of oils and grease then rinse, dry moisturise. its really helped alot. xx

Thanks, I've been using Aveeno cream and it's worked really well but it's started getting bad again so will definitely look into all your suggestions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->