very long feeds - 6 weeks

hooch

Reaction score
My LO feeds for way over an hour every 3 hours. Im beginning to become sore because of it. Hes putting on weight and plenty of wet and dirty nappies so I know im producing the milk.
Do I just have a slow flow? Is it normal? How can I change this?

That's quite normal. Although if you're finding it sore it would definitely be worth making sure baby has a good latch. Are there any breastfeeding support groups near you? That's the best place to go to get someone to watch you feed & check the latch is ok.

You'll find he'll get much faster at feeding as he gets older, he'll get a stronger suck & can take more milk quicker!

I asked the same question time and time again up until my LO was around 8-9 weeks. She could have, and did, feed for hours...and hours on end. I know now she was also comfort sucking but I quickly decided that was an important part of our BF relationship! It gets easier. Of that there is no doubt. My LO now feeds in less than 20 minutes and only comfort sucks herself to sleep. Strangely, and can't believe I am about to say this....but I miss our marathon nursing sessions a bit...i used to catch up on a lot of TV and BnB then :D I think we're due a growth spurt in about a week and I'm very bizarrely looking forward to it :haha:

So, yeah, from what I've been told and experienced...completely normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->