Very Low Temps: Possible Thyroid Issue?

Angel5000

Mother to Melody
Reaction score
I'm not a hypochondriac. I swear.

But, I'm reading the Taking Charge of My Fertility, and the author mentions Thyroid problems as a possible cause of short luteal phases and mentions low temperatures. This struck a chord with me as my temp is consistently low. We joke in my house that no matter how warm, my hands and feet are always cold. My "normal" temp is no where near the 98.5 or whatever it is supposed to be. We worry about me having a fever at 99 because I don't even usually get temps at mid 98.

But, seriously, the low temps really struck me because my BBTs are always low 97s (high 96s sometimes) before O and after O rarely get above 97.5ish.

I started to research and a lot of sites say that if your average BBT (pre-O) is below 97.6 then you should be tested for hypothyroidism. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Not to be a "symptom spotter" but when looking through lists of symptoms affiliate with hypothyroidism, I found that 90% applied to me. But it's the low temps that really stood out. You can check out my FF charts to see what I mean.

Hey Angel! I have no knowledge about any of the above (other than that I really doubt that 98.5 is "normal"?? From all the charts I've seen, that sounds really high!), but I would highly encourage you asking your doctors for thyroid checkup tests. I got them done recently and I have NO idea why people don't get them done annually as part of a preventative health checkup, because thyroid issues can cause such a variety of problems. I'd highly encourage you to get your thyroid hormones checked out so that you can be more informed about what's going on in your body.

Good luck!

Hey Angel! I have no knowledge about any of the above (other than that I really doubt that 98.5 is "normal"?? From all the charts I've seen, that sounds really high!), but I would highly encourage you asking your doctors for thyroid checkup tests. I got them done recently and I have NO idea why people don't get them done annually as part of a preventative health checkup, because thyroid issues can cause such a variety of problems. I'd highly encourage you to get your thyroid hormones checked out so that you can be more informed about what's going on in your body.

Good luck!

Oh! I should have clarified. I don't mind 98.5 BBT is normal, I mean mid day 98.5 or whatever they say is a "normal" daily temp. If I check my temps mid-day (if I think I'm sick or I'm just checking for whatever reason) I'm usually around 97.5 or so (give or take).

My morning BBTs pre-O are typically low 97s, high 96s.

My general doctor is retiring in a week. My insurance ends in 2 weeks. My new insurance (new job) will start Oct 1 and the doctors on the two insurance companies don't overlap so I'm sort of in the air until October. I'm just looking for thoughts from other people and gathering information so that when I can get a new dr I can have info

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->